SciFi : reasons it's so popular with Aspies/geeks

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 2:31 am

Is it because it provides about as extreme a form of escape as possible ?

I say extreme because it frequently moves the setting away from the planet (read : NT society) and our era entirely.

Draws
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2008, 2:34 am

I think the reason I like sci-fi is because there is no boundaries so you don't know what to expect. Always something new to see. Also a lot of sci-fi characters seem more like me in that they aren't showing much emotion and have rational discussions.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 9:03 am

Emotionalism is part of sci-fi. A big part.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 9:30 am

Good sci-fi extrapolates from a reality-based position, often acting as allegory/parable/warning/inspiration. It takes existing ideas to possible conclusions/extremes. It teaches. It is imaginative in the same way I consider myself to be - not out of thin air, but building on existing ideas. Adding.

I like the term "speculative fiction".

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 10:47 am

patternist wrote:
Good sci-fi extrapolates from a reality-based position, often acting as allegory/parable/warning/inspiration. It takes existing ideas to possible conclusions/extremes. It teaches. It is imaginative in the same way I consider myself to be - not out of thin air, but building on existing ideas. Adding.

I like the term "speculative fiction".

All fiction is speculative. :wink:

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:15 am

Quote:
All fiction is speculative.

Hmmm, yeah. I thought about that before I posted but couldn't come up with an answer to it, decided to proceed anyway.

I guess it's called "speculative fiction" now rather than "science fiction" because it's
a) not always based on hard science
b) couldn't happen in this time, in an existing place. Some fundamentals about the setting would have to be changed.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:18 am

Superweapons.

We all want to get back at those norms, and what better way to do it than via planet-wide devastation [in the least]? Sci-Fi is full of said weapons.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:21 am

Danielismyname wrote:
Superweapons.

We all want to get back at those norms, and what better way to do it than via planet-wide devastation [in the least]? Sci-Fi is full of said weapons.

I don't think planet-wide devestation is the best means of revenge. It's a little extreme.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 11:28 am

slowmutant wrote:
I don't think planet-wide devestation is the best means of revenge. It's a little extreme.

I, personally think solar-wide destruction is the bare minimum, but your mileage may vary.

For want of a Nova Bomb.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:03 pm

MemberSix wrote:
Is it because it provides about as extreme a form of escape as possible ?

arguably that, it's so damn different than the current world (well some types; some cyberpunk is decently accurate)

Quote:
I say extreme because it frequently moves the setting away from the planet (read : NT society) and our era entirely.

it depends. Galactic Empires and the like can still have those authority BS problems, nobility, princes and the like, etc. Even in space there's f*****g nobles. On a related note, go Free Planets Alliance! (from Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:06 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
I, personally think solar-wide destruction is the bare minimum, but your mileage may vary.

For want of a Nova Bomb.

heh... :mrgreen:

Though I don't know how effectively it is, stars explode slowly and given the speed of fleets and ease of entering hyperspace or warp or whatever, it would be useless. Planets might have strong enough shields to repel the plasma via magnetic field. Planets further out could be evacuated before it hits. It has to be able to annihilate the star and then go faster than light to f**k up the rest of the star system QUICK.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:14 pm

I used to love SciFi, but don't watch it much anymore, they show far too many terrible made-for-TV movies :x

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:18 pm

Warsie wrote:
Danielismyname wrote:

For want of a Nova Bomb.

heh... :mrgreen:

Though I don't know how effectively it is, stars explode slowly and given the speed of fleets and ease of entering hyperspace or warp or whatever, it would be useless. Planets might have strong enough shields to repel the plasma via magnetic field. Planets further out could be evacuated before it hits. It has to be able to annihilate the star and then go faster than light to f**k up the rest of the star system QUICK.

Faster than light, eh ?
Let me know how you get on with that one. ;)
That little trick has a theoretical requirement for more energy than there is in the Universe.

But I digress.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:20 pm

Hard SF extrapolates on the possibilities of known science discoveries and developments impacting present understanding and culture. It prepares one for future dangers and opportunities. Many practicing scientists read SF in their youth and therefore were enticed into their professions. It may indicate how one small extension of our capabilities can have a major impact on society and is very akin to philosophy in a good deal of its speculation. And, like many AS people, it deals with arcane facts and practices and calls for a good deal of basic knowledge of the way the universe works.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:21 pm

Danielismyname wrote:
Superweapons.

heh. The story I'm working on on http://www.warsie.deviantart.com/ has a government (well a group of nations) called the Neurodiversity Union; they side with the Fringe Alliance and one of the things they do is clean out the Mainstream Coalition forces from the surrounding worlds, raze the planets and enslave/genocide/conquer their populations, forming a "Greater Aspergia" (or something, more than autistic people comprise the union; ADHD Shizoid, etc are all "Neurodiverse"

Some of the militaries are more aggressive than others. Same for the Alliance in general, the Neurodiverse peoplep are calm and moderate still compared to the Chanese Federacy who raze the Mainstreamer's Core Worlds and depopulate their planets. Though due to internal conflicts in the Alliance and the Mainstreamers pushing back; they ger repelled from the Core Worlds and driven back into defense as they were early-on when the mainstreamers were destroying the Fringer worlds and systems.

EDIT: i didnt include the Neurodiversity Union in my DA yet..

slowmutant wrote:

If it's a Galactic Empire or something, it's not as bad. If it's a single-planet species its tantamount to genocide; though likely in War slagging (or nuking or salting with radiation or pulling RKVs on them, etc) enemy planets, which are analogous to islands in space or something is a taboo in most wars. Terraforming increases the habitable planets and a large government can easily shoulder the cost; though depending on religion, beliefs it might be real f****d up to destroy a planet and all the life it holds..

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2008, 12:28 pm

MemberSix wrote:
Faster than light, eh ?
Let me know how you get on with that one. ;)
That little trick has a theoretical requirement for more energy than there is in the Universe.

But I digress.

I know, hence why solar demolition isn't too good an idea if they're trying to take out a fleet unless they lure them RIGHT to the Star; damn close to it. Better to trick them into invading a planet or planetoid and blowing it up. And the planets would have decent warning (depending on planet) of something coming to the star (depending on weapon) and seeing the solar wave hit from sensors, ships in-system. Especially if it's a war in which they know the enemy is willling to do that.

If it's a surprise pwn, well yes it's more useful. But supernovas don't go at the speed of light, noticeably slower IIRC. so :?

Well it makes a great psychological warfare.