ASD co-morbid disorders, associated conditions & YOURS!!

Page 3 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 8:48 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
clumsiest kid in the universe.. and not driving a car

Sounds like could be dyspraxia. I have dyspraxia and dyslexia.. But dyspraxia is very common and have heard as many as 75% of people on the autism spectrum have to some agree... do not quote me on this, just some think I heard.

This is just a basic list, if you feel there is a problem visit www.dyspraxia.org.nz
The pre-school child
• Is late in reaching milestones e.g. rolling over, sitting, standing, walking, and speaking
• May not be able to run, hop, jump, or catch or kick a ball although their peers can do so
• Has difficulty in keeping friends; or judging how to behave in company
• Has little understanding of concepts such as 'in', 'on', 'in front of' etc
• Has difficulty in walking up and down stairs
• Poor at dressing
• Slow and hesitant in most actions
• Appears not to be able to learn anything instinctively but must be taught skills
• Falls over frequently
• Poor pencil grip
• Cannot do jigsaws or shape sorting games
• Artwork is very immature
• Often anxious and easily distracted

The school age child
• Probably has all the difficulties experienced by the pre-school child with dyspraxia, with little or no improvement
• Avoids PE and games
• Does badly in class but significantly better on a one-to -one basis
• Reacts to all stimuli without discrimination and attention span is poor
• May have trouble with maths and writing structured stories
• Experiences great difficulty in copying from the blackboard
• Writes laboriously and immaturely
• Unable to remember and /or follow instructions
• Is generally poorly organised
Copyright © 1996 - 2007 Dyspraxia Foundation. All

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 9:30 pm

My list so far!

I was diagnosed with Aspergers in July 07 and told have bipolar traits which I seem to have under control now!, but maybe that does explain my obsessive compulsive tendencies and anxiety, moods etc... and there is more, just before that May.07 diagnosed with Dyslexia & Dyspraxia. Undiagnosed: I'm sure I also have ADHD when younger and still do (still very hyper). and have clutters a speech disorder, when younger speech was corrected, and then have/had lots of sight problems(visual perception difficulties), possibly face blindness! and do have Dermatotillomania (skin picking).

Would love a full correct diagnosis one day, but cost... so if anyone is willing, I would love to have all the test and really know for sure!

UPDATED LIST
Autism spectrum "Difference" ASD (includes PPD, aspergers, non verbal learning for now - as seems to overlap into the Autism spectrum anyway... etc..) co morbid and associated conditions

I am trying to put together a list of all the Autism spectrum co morbid disorders and/or associated conditions etc..

Here are some, can you think of any more and what ones do you have ?

Speech impairments, Clutters, Tourettes, Verbal tics such as echolalia and palilalia
Semantic-Pragmatic Disorder (SPD) or Pragmatic language impairment (PLI)
General learning disabilities (intellectual learning difficulties): Development Delay
Dyslexia (words), Hyperlexia (compulsive reading), Dysggraphia (writing)Dyscalculia (numbers),
Dyspraxia (motor clumsiness), Oppositional Defiant Disorder, ADHD, ADD
Auditory Processing Disorder [ADD] , Sensory Processing Disorder, Cognitive delay
Visual perception difficulties , Face Blindness, Seizures, Epilepsy , Insomnia,
Anxiety disorders, Paranoia , Panic, Stress, Mood disorders, Synaesthesia, Alexithymia (emotions),
OCD, Phobias, Depression, Bbipolar , Schizophrenia, Personality disorders,
Self injury, dermatotillomania (skin picking) and trichotillomania (hair pulling), Substance Abuse
Eating Disorders, Food Allergies, Anorexia, Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis (protein intolerance)

Also is "Executive Function Disorder/Executive Dysfunction" just another way of explaining intellectual learning difficulties!

blamo
Raven
Raven

23 Aug 2008, 1:30 am

Ah, good I see you have Dyscalculia on the list... my favorite LD :roll: I am also burdened :cry: with depression.

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2008, 1:35 am

I have bipolar, mild ocd, eating disorder, and self-injury.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2008, 2:01 am

Yay! Dyspraxia!! :roll:

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 10:16 am

I have dyspraxia, dyslexia, sensory issues (light, noise, touch), OCD and synaesthesia. I used to have depression too.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 10:30 am

I have Pure OCD (purely obsessional, not compulsions) and I also suffer from depression.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2008, 1:02 pm

Kingdom of Rats - what's MR? I'm still getting used to the terminology in this forum!

I'm not diagnosed with anything, but I suspect I have Asperger's Syndrome, and Generalised Anxiety Disorder.

I also suffer from mood swings/ strange moods (but that may be part of my Asperger's), and tics/twitches (but that's probably my anxiety - I constantly deny having Tourette's Syndrome)
I reckon at the core I'm a pretty messed up, angry, confused, self-hating person. :roll:

It's been speculated that I might have some mild form of epilepsy.

corroonb
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 1:13 pm

MR = mental retardation

AngelUndercover
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2008, 1:16 pm

Kajjie wrote:
Kingdom of Rats - what's MR? I'm still getting used to the terminology in this forum!

I think MR is mental retardation, but I'm not certain.

I don't have an official Asperger's diagnosis, but I've been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and nonverbal learning disorder. I also have sensory problems, but I'm not sure what specific name they have.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2008, 4:00 pm

Thank you, AngelUndercover and corroonb

asplanet - are we really more likely to suffer from paranoia, bipolar, schizophrenia, eating disorders, allergies or eosinophilic gastroenteritis? These are ones that I've never heard of as being linked to ASD before.

I feel the need to say that medical terms have an insane amount of acronyms! I wonder if I just jumbled letters together and googled them maybe I'd get a health related page as a search result!

Trichotillomania, while not a fun thing, is the most fantastic word. :D

Vimse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2008, 4:40 pm

I have Asperger and ADD and have:

NVLD
Auditory Processing Disorder
Sensory issues
Dyspraxia
Face blindness
Dermatillomania
PTSD
Social anxiety

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 6:52 pm

Kajjie wrote:
asplanet - are we really more likely to suffer from paranoia, bipolar, schizophrenia, eating disorders, allergies or eosinophilic gastroenteritis? These are ones that I've never heard of as being linked to ASD before.

Hi, first I am not a professional.. so just put together a list of a combination of factors...
I have read many articles that say eating disorders are often related to autism... but then I am not an expert!

But I do know Years ago people with Autism were often diagnosed with other mental disorders such as Schizophrenia... and other mental disorders and feel personnally bipolar the middle ground between these two, I myself have been told have bipolar .

Other factors: New research on the amygdala (a part of the brain that is involved with emotion regulation and perception) has indicated that those on the Autism spectrum can have difficulty managing their emotions.

"Epigenetics is a fast-growing new area in medicine because some researchers now believe that our diet, the chemicals we are exposed to and even our behavior toward one another can cause changes in the way our genes are expressed, and contribute or trigger mental illnesses like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder - and some of the epigenetic changes may even be passed on to future generations."

As I see it Autism is at the centre of a large web surrounded by many associated conditions, just some people may have OCD, Social phobia, Anxiety, Bipolar, ADHD, ADD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Dyspraxia, Tourettes Syndrome, speech disorders... I am just trying to untangle the mass a little, because at present it really seems to be like breaking open a piñata and depending on which direct you go, is what you get diagnosed with and what help you receive.

No one knows all the answer, but I do know the way in which we treat each other, our children when growing up does affect us and those of us on the Autism spectrum seem to often suffer more from moods disorders etc… maybe part of all of this is the way we are treated generally by society, either made to change or excluded.

I do state I am trying to put together a list, and I am open to suggestions and change. Just feel its easier if have a list of possibilities, as even with compiling this list I am discovery new things about myself. If anyone feels differently from what I have picked up on so far, would love to hear.....

List so far
I am trying to put together a list of all the Autism spectrum co morbid disorders and/or associated conditions etc..
Speech impairments, Clutters, Tourettes, Verbal tics such as echolalia and palilalia
Semantic-Pragmatic Disorder (SPD) or Pragmatic language impairment (PLI)
General learning disabilities (intellectual learning difficulties): Development Delay
Dyslexia (words), Hyperlexia (compulsive reading), Dysggraphia (writing)Dyscalculia (numbers),
Dyspraxia (motor clumsiness), Oppositional Defiant Disorder, ADHD, ADD
Auditory Processing Disorder [ADD] , Sensory Processing Disorder, Cognitive delay
Visual perception difficulties , Face Blindness, Seizures, Epilepsy , Insomnia,
Anxiety disorders, Paranoia , Panic, Stress, Mood disorders, Synaesthesia, Alexithymia (emotions),
OCD, Phobias, Depression, Bbipolar , Schizophrenia, Personality disorders,
Self injury, dermatotillomania (skin picking) and trichotillomania (hair pulling), Substance Abuse
Eating Disorders, Food Allergies, Anorexia, Eosinophilic Gastroenteritis (protein intolerance)

Also is "Executive Function Disorder/Executive Dysfunction" just another way of explaining intellectual learning difficulties!

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 7:07 am

OH! OH! MY TURN! MY TURN!

Umm...ADHD, OCD, ADD medication gives me Tourette's symptoms, I used to think I have SAD, that's all.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 7:53 am

i have also "ODD" (oppositional defiance disorder).

most cases of ODD resolve in adolescence, but i did not complete adolescence (my emotional age is 14) and so my ODD remains with me.

ODD is intricately reinforced by AS.

i can see little reason that someone has authority over me (unless they are a boss who pays me).

i am not narcissistic in that i do not feel i have god given rights to everything.

but if any ape suggests he is able to alter my daily plan with his primate assumptions, then i do go into a kind of battle mode.

the police and me together, are not in good company.

neither is a magistrate who thinks that he can see, the reasons for my actions as i float apon a sea of somethings that i know are real, but are mostly... just uncertainties.

.....i was listening to a musical track and got distracted sorry.

but i can not tolerate someone telling me what to do when i do not want to be like them.

i like to annoy them and make them lose their temper.
it is fun.
it is easy for me to do naturlly even without trying.

like they may angrily remark to me on the poor performance of some sub consultants work.

i develop a silly smile on my face when other peoples faces look worriedly frantic.

i can not suppress the smile, and it apparrently comes from ODD.

the following stuff only happens with people who are self appointed gurus and who take a bullish charge of the office.
they are nt's who are self glorious who i am mainly ODD about.

if i see a flaw in their temper, i can not help but exploit it.
i like to tempt those people to lose self control.

it is like flooring a cheap old car in neutral to see how it's engine sputters at valve bouncing extremes.

some of those people think they are bastions of solidness and sound wit, but their clay walls can be undermined by persistent testing.

all allegedly "solid upstanding" power jocks have a crumbling point.

it is interesting to find it and also there is an urge to find it.

also i have prosopagnosia.
i can not recognize people i should know easily.

i do recognize people i have seen hundreds of times easily, but new people look largely amorphous to me.

i know if they are black or white.
i know if they are short or tall.
but i do not really know how to tell between their faces who is who.

i never look at faces for long so i guess that may be instrumental.

i have no idea what makes a face ugly or pretty either.
i know unhealthy faces are not pretty, but all healthy faces look ok to me.

autism is the core of me however, and the other things are just my outer layers.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2008, 11:13 am

I also have ADHD, anxiety and some specific phobias. And who knows what else! But that is more than enough thanks.