Title changed- maybe now people will pay attention to topic

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 12:56 pm

Yet you can earn $100,000 for discovering the largest prime number (but anyone you personally find has to be larger than 13 million digits so good luck, it will take a while.)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/09/27/prim ... index.html

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Last edited by Triangular_Trees on 30 Sep 2008, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 12:59 pm

I would take up something like this if it actually served a purpose, other than me making a hudread grand.

Programmer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Sep 2008, 2:27 pm

anna-banana wrote:
I would take up something like this if it actually served a purpose, other than me making a hudread grand.

Prime numbers are very useful for randomization and encryption.

ttyl

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Sep 2008, 2:34 pm

Bulls@#! My obsession for cartooning has made me one of the most successful cartoonists in my college newspaper. Don't let anybody tell you what to show interest in and what not to.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 3:31 pm

If they paid, they wouldn't be useless.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 4:00 pm

Well, prime numbers aren't any more useless than some of the things NTs spend their time on. They don't call sports, fashion, and gossip magazines "useless", and those things have hardly any job-related applications; yet NTs spend plenty of time on them.

So you're interested in prime numbers... how is that different than being interested in football, except that you're not making a fool of yourself yelling at a TV screen?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 4:39 pm

They're right. As a little kid, I only made about $400-$500 for my first interest(I charged TOKEN amounts from $1 to about $15 for little jobs, and never really pushed it). For my second interest, I only got about $1,545,000. I COULD have made more if I were more social, greedy, or aggresive. BTW for comparison purposes. The average person would have made less than $738,000

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 5:43 pm

I got an awesome job in college because of one of my interests. During my sophomore year I got obsessed with video editing, and spent all my time in the school media lab. The student workers saw me there all the time, so they would suggest that I apply for a job. So I did, and I was hired. It was an awesome, fun job that paid well. I had learned to use well a video editing program with a rather steep learning curve that most student workers in the lab didn't know well, and I got hired basically because of my knowledge of that program (non-dining hall jobs are usually very difficult to get on campus). It was my level of obsessiveness that allowed me to learn a relatively complex program from the ground up in a very short period of time (I hadn't known anything about video-editing prior to this obsession).

Sunfell
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Sep 2008, 7:13 pm

I prefer 'deep interest' to 'obsession', to be honest. My deep interest in electronics systems- audio, radio, and now computers has paid well for me. While I might never get rich (too solitary and not people-oriented), I will always have something to do, because there is always a haywire system somewhere that needs to be fixed.

Have skills, will travel. It's a good life.

My current 'deep interest' is website design. This ought to be fun- it's software instead of hardware.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 7:37 pm

I do well at my library job because of the skills I possess. I am fortunate to have found that job.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 8:08 pm

Programmer wrote:
Prime numbers are very useful for randomization and encryption.

ttyl

ditto; they mention it in that link. ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER!

Callista wrote:
They don't call sports, fashion, and gossip magazines "useless", and those things have hardly any job-related applications; yet NTs spend plenty of time on them.

well arguably there's the social science/psychology studies that would be interesting. That and being a historian.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 9:13 pm

People aways said my obession with meerkats and animals would get me nowhere. Note, I was obsessed with meerkats before Meerkat Manor came out. I wonder what they will say when I become a famous veternarian and discover so many important things about animals that no one knew before.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 9:52 pm

Even obsessions that are totally worthless money-wise can help you to relax and have fun--allowing you to do better at your job and indirectly make more money. Just like an NT might watch a sports game to relax, and do better at his job...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 10:08 pm

Hmm. I guess what I said wasn't as funny as I thought it was. :oops:

I should stick to being unintentionally funny.

WonderWomen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2008, 2:36 am

countzarroff wrote:
Bulls@#! My obsession for cartooning has made me one of the most successful cartoonists in my college newspaper. Don't let anybody tell you what to show interest in and what not to.

I know a guy from this site, who is obsessive about wanting to know from me, why I say that we have nothing in common. I never tell him, so he would beg in a different way. I finally told to "STOP EMAILING ME" and he did. Would you say that this is a case in which obsession didn't pay?

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 5:46 am

I'd have to agree with that. A couple personal examples would be me selling one of my warcraft accounts for $400 (had 2 toons in t6 and all that good stuff, just was too close to wrath), and my bass/guitar playing which has landed me a couple gigs here and there, as well as tip money from playing guitar on the streets and at the summer markets.