So I got pretty much attacked by cops today!

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 1:35 am

WE got pulled over, i freaked out, jumped out of the car and ran, i wasnt thinking, i just cant stand cops, seen them do horrible things to my father, and other ppl, and me, so i just bolted, had to get out of there. The cop ran after me talked to me like I was ret*d, i was completely nonverbal, already having a bad night, after a huge meltdown, then grabbed me by my arm and literally swung me up in the air and literally slammed my body against the curb. Then he proceeded to call more cops for backup! 6 Police cars came, they all stared at me and laughed on how i was acting, talking to me like im some sort of ret*d, it was horrible, i didnt know what to do, i just became worse, felt like i was dying inside. Another cop tried to grab me i freaked out, he held on real tight, felt like he was going to break me. My boyfriend finally got me, picked me up, my pants almost fall down, as im literally freaking out, i jump out of his arms, and slam my head pretty hard on the ground, nobody runs to help me, i get up because i think my boyfriend is mad for the way im acting, and he picks me up and gets me in the car all as the 6 cops are staring and laughing at me. It was the worst night ever, i feel horrible, my head hurts, my body, i cant stop shaking, i hate me so much right now.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 1:40 am

Wow, that sounds pretty extreme. I hope you're OK. :)

Those who know, don't speak.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 1:42 am

jawbrodt wrote:
Wow, that sounds pretty extreme. I hope you're OK. :)

No i cant stop shaking, and rocking, for once i cant honestly say i hate being autistic especially at moments like these, hate being nonverbal too, hate how ppl treat me, i just wish ppl understood!

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 1:50 am

Try to be patient. They say that time heals all wounds.

Those who know, don't speak.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 1:55 am

jawbrodt wrote:
Try to be patient. They say that time heals all wounds.

thanks

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 2:57 am

That's horrible.

have a bunch of flowers:
:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 3:22 am

Age1600 - I am so sorry, what a nightmare! That's not just scary, but traumatizing. You didn't do anything wrong and I guess we both realize this is a function of your HFA. You live in New Jersey, which is entirely different from my home (Interior rural Alaska).

But I have had SCREAMING (I mean literally) in public...I HATE this beyond imaginable. I am shy and this just about kills me.

Something AWFUL happened to me in January and I told no one. I will tell you because you're my friend (yes, I know you from WP) and we have the same 'condition,' or version of. Then I'll tell you what I do that SAVES me.

I was driving north to visit an older couple and I'd never been to their remote place before. Ever. Ironically, I have a good sense of magnetic direction but I cannot know novel back roads, of course. I was supposed to meet them at 6 pm. They have no phone or electricity so I couldn't have contacted them to let them know I was in distress. I felt AWFUL that I had disappointed them (but I hadn't - they were really sad with what happened, or what tragically could have happened). I was alone, no one knew of my whereabouts, and I became lost. Badly, seriously lost. I knew meltdown was pending and I had a nightmare meltdown. Then I had a seizure where everything was black, white, black, white, black, white. I remember vividly SCREAMING and screaming and screaming, crying uncontrollably. I was beyond hysterically frantic. I have a good heater in my car but the temperature outside was -41 degrees F. I was disoriented out-of-mind.

I had the presence of mind to pull over from the isolated road I was somewhere on. Oh, it's really dark in AK at this time too. Pitch black. A truck pulled over, seeing a car in distress (since off-road). He was so nice.....somehow he sensed I had a real medical problem - thankfully. I was not, nor have I ever been, drunk, drugged, etc. He recognized this as the medical emergency it was, not the latter. I did have a cell phone on my car seat but hadn't used it. I virtually never carry my cell. He called 911 and I showed him my medic alert ID bracelet, which has my name and 'Autistic - AS' engraved. Probably saved my life. And, significantly, I carry a printed card in my wallet with a brief description of HFA (high-functioning autism) and simple instructions in the event of meltdown &/or emergency. He related this stuff to 911. The troopers were there quickly. I was already feeling much better but still shaky. Those troopers, after knowing the info on both my medic alert bracelet and medical card, were incredibly understanding and supportive of me. They got me back to Fairbanks. The original trip would have taken just about 30-35 minutes. I had left my Fairbanks apartment at about 5:35 pm. When the troopers arrived the time was at 10:00 pm. I had a 4 hour meltdown and was beyond exhausted. I could barely stand and was not well. The medical personnel could 'see' I was in medical distress, not that I was being 'bad/weird/drunk/drugged/ret*d/psycho, etc' I was okay but rested the entire next day and recuperated.

Age1600 - Because I do know what you went through, and have had similar, please get a medical alert ID bracelet. This investment is WELL WORTH IT!! Plus, your medical insurance may pay - but a med bracelet doesn't cost that much. It may save your life. Next (this is imperative!), have a PRINTED card prominently displayed in your wallet (mine says, "Read in case of emergency"). On this card print your name, contact info, Dr.'s # (or equivalent), plus a SPECIFIC yet succinctly written statement of what your conditon is and brief instructions of what a medical transponder should do in the event of an emergency &/or meltdown. This can SAVE you! Otherwise, the police have NO WAY of knowing what is going on with you and they can assume the worst. You do NOT need this and mistreatment by an unknowing medical transponder, or the police is a disaster waiting to happen - as you know. You may certainly have your medical provider authorize your medical alert card and have another (your boyfriend?) look over your card, offering input or edit. I hope nothing of this sort happens to you again, but a meltdown (or equivalent) is out of your control and being 'punished' for what you are NOT makes it worse!

Hope you feel better really soon. Age1600, if you wish, you may PM me and I'll print what's on my card for you - your will invariably need to adjusted to match your needs, but similar. And try to order a medical alert bracelt right away - it's worth it. And could save your life. I'll be thinking of you!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 3:25 am

What f*****g as*holes! :evil: :evil:

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2008, 3:28 am

Age1600, you're one of the coolest persons on here and this could not have happened to a nicer person. Sorry for that.

MJIthewriter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2008, 3:33 am

That sounds terrible. I hope you are okay. :( I guess it will take a long time to recover from that terror.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 4:55 am

thats horible..but in america police do that coz they think u have drugs or u are done someting illegal... thats really awfull for u and i hope u dont need to experience ever again 8O

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 5:10 am

Sorry to hear about your experience Age1600

You too LabPet.
I think you offer some real important advice also.

Another thing you might consider Age1600... write a letter explaining the event including time, date, and place.
Include any officer's names if you have them.
Explain in your letter about AS and being nonverbal.
Send this to the department the officers were from. They should have a public liaison (public affairs officer?), and a chaplain.

Follow LabPet's advice and get some form of ID created that can be accessed by police or emergency crews.
Having worked in several EMS systems in Texas, I can say that it was a great aid when we knew of something special about the patient, especially when they could not communicate directly with us.

Make up that card and have it right there with your ID or license.

I hope you never have to go through an experience like that again.

If you are ever pulled over again, do you think you could start preparing yourself to show the ID/Card and not bolting like you did.
I have to say, running from officers will trigger more aggressive actions on their part.
They not only may suspect you of wrong doing, but also they have no idea whether you are armed with a weapon or not.
Their adrenaline kicks in and that with other factors is what makes so many officers lose control when they do.
They can really get amped up.

You need to teach yourself some sort of key phrase, or thoughts which can help you calm down and stay in the car next time.
This is for your own safety.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 5:24 am

LabPet wrote:
Age1600 - I am so sorry, what a nightmare! That's not just scary, but traumatizing.

Agree-I feel the same way about-all freaked out by-encounters with authorities. My boyfriend got pulled over for speeding-we were coming back from my dentist (so I was post-traumatized already), and there was also big truck behind us that we were trying to get further ahead of, going down a huge hill (so we were motivated to move fast, to "escape" the truck looming up on our little car).

Just having a cop come over to our car & inspect us made me have that dissociative (so anxious & afraid that one barely feels "inside" one's own body) reaction. I felt like freezing, rather than running, though-so nothing happened beyond getting pricey ticket-but I was all messed up about it for hours, days, weeks even. Experience was seriously stressful & upsetting for me.

Feel bad for you, know how awful it really can be-am mystified that there are some people who don't flip out, under such circumstances. Thank goodness, my boyfriend (NT) was able to remain calm-he's the one who drives, I cannot-it's too scary on many levels.
LabPet wrote:
Next (this is imperative!), have a PRINTED card prominently displayed in your wallet (mine says, "Read in case of emergency"). On this card print your name, contact info, Dr.'s # (or equivalent), plus a SPECIFIC yet succinctly written statement of what your conditon is and brief instructions of what a medical transponder should do in the event of an emergency &/or meltdown. This can SAVE you! Otherwise, the police have NO WAY of knowing what is going on with you and they can assume the worst. You do NOT need this and mistreatment by an unknowing medical transponder, or the police is a disaster waiting to happen - as you know. You may certainly have your medical provider authorize your medical alert card and have another (your boyfriend?) look over your card, offering input or edit. I hope nothing of this sort happens to you again, but a meltdown (or equivalent) is out of your control and being 'punished' for what you are NOT makes it worse!

Know I've seen version of the "wallet card for emergency responders" (incl. law enforcement) online. Here's link to a pdf:
http://www.aane.org/docs/resources_aane_wallet_card.pdf
Link to site about ASD's & how EMT's could alter their behavior so as to de-escalate panic:
http://www.autismriskmanagement.com/

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 5:49 am

Well, when I am stopped by cops in very bad situations, I only act like I am a bit drunk(Wrong word choice, etc...). They may believe I am simply guilty or drunk. And I have the SAME problems as you. BTW One told me he almost shot me because I got out of the car.

So don't think that being non autistic makes the cops act much better.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

21 Mar 2008, 5:55 am

Hello Age1600.

Here's a big hug (((((Hug)))))

Great advice from LabPet!

The police officers laughing at you is extremely unprofessional. It is also cruel. And they reckon it's neurotypicals who are full of empathy :?

Helen

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 6:04 am

Thanks for everybodys support, thing is my nt boyfriend told the original cop right away i was autistic, my bf even has an autistic license plate! The cop didnt care, when he told other cops he use the words "some form of retardation!" Which completely just shocked me. The way i was treated completely messed me up, i ended up freaking out all night, ticcing like crazy, shaking, and what bothers me even more, they had a autism awareness workshop, but not many officers showed up. I called the police station awhile ago to complain last time we got pulled over about how nasty the officer treated me then verbally! The cop on the phone then talked to me like i was 2, literally, and said he will make sure to train more cops. Obviously not, my mother is going down to the station or calling today to figure things out. I hate it, i completely lost so much faith and respect for cops ten times more. I wish i was able to talk, i would have said A LOT believe me! I couldnt even respond, felt like i was completely shut off from the world. I'm going to check out those bracelets, i somehow lose everything i have so i dont know if cards a good idea. I had a print out of that one site about autism and the law enforcement, but left it at home. So maybe ill check into that bracelet idea. Thanks again. I havent slept yet, and idk if i will, i keep loosing it more and more.