Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2008, 3:50 pm

Do you think it is possible that everybody who is autistic is born with the same level of autism, and it is the individuals intelligence to overcome, camouflage, workaround that determines where they end up on the spectrum.

That would explain why AS people have average to high IQ, what i am saying is that we had the intelligence without autism, and used our intellect to overcome this.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 4:41 pm

It is an attraction to specific things that usually decipher where OCD's will lie. I do of course believe surrounding areas will determine the person and who they will become.
It is a good theory :)

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 4:55 pm

Nah...because then all the savants would have really good social skills.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 12:28 am

I think it is fairly correct, but the number of autistic traits do differ from individual to individual even at birth, and there is no clear line between Aspie and NT. Somebdy with more traits will need better coping skills than somebody without lesser traits. ADHD traits probably also play some role.

Savants do not necesarily cope well because their skills in narrow areas might not make it possible to cope with social issues.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 9:51 am

I do not think it's IQ alone. Maybe IQ score has to do with it after a certain level - if, for example, the ASD impairs self-help abilities and an MR does so too, the person may have doubled impairment in that area. (Uneven profiles with extremely low scores may be causing impairment too.) Beyond MR, I wonder if IQ score is generally meaningless in number of impairments?

As for a high IQ score and the ability to cope, I don't think there is much of a correlation. There are people who score gifted on IQ tests, yet are very impaired in their daily activities, maybe unable to work, cook by themselves etc.

IQ score probably plays a part in the process of development (of course) and copying (sounds likely to me). But it's not the only thing.

A high or low IQ score by itself does not express how well a person learns, how well they adapt to school and work. There are people who're gifted who did average to bad in school or even couldn't cope at all, just as there are people with for example an IQ score of 80-85 who actually had a degree that's hard to attain and are perceived as gifted (not Savants).

Seeing how these cases are real possibilities, there seem to be additional determining factors in outcome than just the IQ score.

Also, what rdos said. The number of symptoms do seem to differ (very much) at birth.

Some babies have immense sensory issues, while others seem to have no big ones or even none. Same with other symptoms.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 10:32 am

It's hard to tell on a baby though.

My brother screamed all the time, so he'd be viewed as having "a lot of sensory issues".

I just wasn't connected enough to my body to do that as often, but certainly still experienced a good deal of sensory onslaught and confusion. (Sometimes so much I wouldn't have known there was anything to scream at.)

Although... sensory issues is a bit of a misnomer, it's actually the effects of differences in perception in the brain.

But anyway... I doubt that it's even possible to tell whether two autistic people, are the same, or different, and how different, in "degree" of autism, because one of the ways autism seems to manifest is to have people sort of develop in different directions with the same "degree".

I agree about IQ being mostly irrelevant (and that a dangerous assumption to make, the original one posted).

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 10:40 am

anbuend wrote:
It's hard to tell on a baby though.

Oh, yeah, that's right! That's important to mention, too.

I was only thinking of behaviours that were preserved throughout the first few years in the same manner to the exact same stimuli for example. But there are already a lot of things that a baby might perceive and that cause discomfort while nobody really notices that fact.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 10:42 am

Across the board, people with high IQ's produce a lot of failures. They are basket cases, all the parts are there, but nothing gets put together.

The other side is the not too bright janitor pushing a mop, who does nothing else, and through persistance, winds up owning the building, and still mops it.

The fool, who would persist in his folly, will become wise.

I have a high IQ, but it is, focus, hard work, and persistance that gets things done.

lucy1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2008, 3:48 pm

No, because people are too complex and there are too many forms of intelligence.