Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 9:26 pm

INTERVIEWS: Jen Birch - Tony Attwood - Donna Williams - asplanet.info
Enjoy and this link works!! !
http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=107

Last edited by asplanet on 21 Aug 2008, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2008, 10:20 pm

I think the link is bad but I'll retry in a second

chocoholic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm

nettiespaghetti wrote:

It doesn't work for me either.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2008, 11:53 pm

nettiespaghetti wrote:

Re doing NOW: http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=107
Thanks for letting me know :wink:

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 12:32 am

Linkie all workie now!

asplanet wrote:
nettiespaghetti wrote:

Re doing NOW: http://asplanet.info/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=107
Thanks for letting me know :wink:

Thank you for sharing these (and earlier) resources. :D

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 1:41 am

And a California "Thank you" as well, asplanet.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 1:48 am

You know, Attwood really, really dug himself into a hole when he said that they weren't aware of people having Autism without mental retardation. And with the second part, he's adamant that those with Asperger's have and show symptoms since birth, just more subtle. Most of Kanner's children had normal or above level of intelligence, and most of them displayed symptoms that Attwood describes in children; Asperger described people with mental retardation, and also those who were socially aloof. You know again, if I, Daniel, the one who isn't a professor [or even a high school graduate] can point this out with the most basic of research, you know that there's a conflict going on behind the scenes, or "our knowledge" really isn't that great as they're just relearning what has already preceded them.

Quote:
I decided to specialize in Autism Spectrum Disorders in 1971. As our knowledge of the autism spectrum improved we started to realize that the characteristics can occur in someone of normal and above average intellectual ability and who may have not had the characteristics of classic autism in their early childhood.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 8:08 am

Tony Attwood also says a lot of good things, like his best research information comes from those on the autism spectrum and like myself feel somethings he may of said in the past may of changed... I know since being diagnosed myself things changed 100%, then continued to change as I have learn and grown to understand, I do feel he is on our side, which is the main thing, none of us and maybe no one can be 100% correct anyway, as there are no 100% answers, research always ongoing... and hopefully as myself he continues to learn and understand.

I really feel we should be backing those trying to help and help them understand, if not always right....

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 8:18 am

asplanet wrote:
I really feel we should be backing those trying to help and help them understand, if not always right....

Of course, but I just can't help myself when it comes to pointing out errors. :wink:

This, for example, is a great piece [from the same interview]:
Quote:
I think that Asperger's syndrome is really a description of personality and abilities. It becomes a mental disorder when the characteristics have a significant impact on the person’s quality of life. I also think that those with Asperger's syndrome have a different way of learning which, for some, can be a learning disability, but for others may be a learning ability. For some it can be a mental disorder, but for others it can be just a description of personality and abilities.

For some reason, I just can't read the words of Donna Williams without wanting to stab myself in the eye (it's just how she writes; there's something to the structure that hurts my head). Plus, there's some factual errors in her writing, but that's not why it bothers me.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 10:23 am

Attwood is not doing Science, it is all Marketing. He talks of all the Degrees he has gotten, but never read the foundation writings in the field?

Making a Buck on Autism.

Donna Williams does not pretend to Science, she is an artist and a good one, with some rich insider observations.

Attwood is only out to help himself.

It is cultural exploitation by an outsider.

He is a blind person cutting and pasteing from Wrong Planet for his next book on color.

"Ripping off the Autistic, and Plagerizing their words." by Tony Attwood.

You would support a leech because it has chosen you to get fat on?

Well, send a donation to Autism Speaks.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 4:29 pm

Inventor wrote:
Well, send a donation to Autism Speaks.
Now that hurt :(

Donna I agree, feel an amazing individual, also love her art work and Jen Birch goes out of her way to help the autism community, but then they are both on the autiom spectrum themselves and so maybe its easier for us to relate too.

Tony Attwood still on the fence post here, I do feel a lot of what he says makes sense... not all. As for pasting books together from other people's information, that I agree on, but that does seem to be what most people do, if your not on the autism spectrum yourself, can only go by research etc...... and still feel his book on The Complete works of AS is one of the better books on the subject and helped many, at least he adds references at back of book where information comes from, and there are pages... so he is not pretending otherwise.

To me I always feel its better to do, than criteria others.. as if they are getting it wrong and you know better, the tide will eventually turn.. but we all need to speak out. I would rather use my energy helping than wasting time highlighting people, groups that I will never agree with... would rather promote highlight information I agree with, as we will never all agree anyway, thats what makes life interesting.

Anyone wants to start a list of really good research information I am happy to listen, I was only diagnosed myself last year, so guess I am still learning myself... I usually use the Cambridge University research latest information from the UK to help me put things in perspective. But as adults we can only go by what we know, read, research on. I will be hearing Attwood speak for the first time at a conferance soon, so will try and keep an open mind until them.

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 4:53 pm

I have to agree with Inventor 100%

I guess I don't need a book to explain to me what I've been living and dealing with all my life. There aren't too many out there that are really that helpful anyway.

Last edited by aspiartist on 22 Aug 2008, 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Aug 2008, 5:04 pm

Ok I got it, seems very interesting so far, thanks for posting! I am surprised at myself that I've done alot of research on Aspergers over this past year and still haven't read a book by Tony Attwood. Definitely going to the book store or library to find one.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 5:52 pm

aspiartist wrote:
I have to agree with Inventor 100%
I guess I don't need a book to explain to me what I've been living and dealing with all my life. There aren't too many out there that are really that helpful anyway.

To be honest I have not read many books myself, but as yourself have lived with and around all my life and the best insights, understanding are with the aspie community itself. But books are needed to help many understand.... and not sure all of them will ever quite understand us, so still feel he is a good go between and does quote his best insights are from the people on the autism spectrum.

TONY ATTWOOD: I think the main advances have come not from the research literature but from conversations and discussions with those who have Asperger’s syndrome, by reading not the scientific textbooks but their autobiographies. My greatest knowledge of Asperger’s has come from those who have it. Other great advances are the recognition of the challenges they face, and some way of helping them to cope. What may also be occurring is a change in attitude towards these attitudes and, I hope, a greater emphasis on their talents rather than their deficits.

Quotes:" From my clinical experience I consider that children and adults with Aspergers Syndrome have a different, not defective, way of thinking." Tony Attwood

I do not feel these are the worse quotes I have heard from an NT in regards to autism, and as a go between connection autism and NT to me, gets more right than wrong, I often feel people quote things he has said years ago... which I feel is wrong, as even myself being on the autism spectrum views of how I view things have totally changed. We all like to criticize others... but feel its more important for us all to help others understand, positive energy.. point out the good quotes, not continually pick up on all the bad ones...!

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 5:57 pm

nettiespaghetti wrote:
Ok I got it, seems very interesting so far, thanks for posting! I am surprised at myself that I've done alot of research on Aspergers over this past year and still haven't read a book by Tony Attwood. Definitely going to the book store or library to find one.

Love your quote nettiespaghetti, but then its from a fellow aspie :D

Just want to say I am not in any way trying to promote Tony Attwood or his books, I just happen to do an on line interview with him... I do feel you will learn just as much from forums like this one and can ask your own questions. Look in the book section on wrong planet, there are some great books mentioned and surprise, surprise Tony Attwood also!

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2008, 6:05 pm

I'm not sure why you seem to feel defensive about what I said. I can only speak from my own experience. There are a lot of people, who are not autistic, capitalizing, throwing around sometimes very inaccurate information and exploiting autistic people for their own gain. And the books that are out there aren't always that useful either. I hope however that you find liturature that does help to explain and understand, etc. It does help when one can find it.