Why I hope I don't have Asperger's...

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NorahW
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2006, 10:16 pm

.....because this is the kind of crap people assume about anyone with AS

http://herzeleid.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... c&start=40

She's congratulating that guy because he travels now and he has Asperger's. She says most of the people that she knows with AS aren't able to travel. What kind of $#*$ is that??! !

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 10:24 pm

Hey, I've seen what passes for socially advanced. It's not worth fretting about.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 10:45 pm

OK, I USED to be better with direction. But HEY, if people trusted direction 100%, they wouldn't have compasses!

I DO like to plan before I go. Do you have ANY idea how that works? Flights, for example, should be done 3 WEEKS in advance! I'm OK with 3 days. Doing it 2 weeks before can mean fewer choices, and cost twice as much. One week ahead can be far worse.

I tend to handle the flight better than most. As for the car, I often do fine.

I travel once a week, and have for the past 8 years or so. Before that, I traveled on the plane by myself only 3 times. One was a flight that included a leg of about 14 hours! I left the plane speaking Danish. I went on the eurail speaking German. So WHERE was the hard part?

Let me get this straight! The guy is supposedly good with computers, speaks German and English and they don't think he can fend for himself?????? UNGLAUBLICH!(unbelievable) Die Welt ist VERRUCHT!

BTW I generally handle EVERYTHING myself. I go someplace I have never been, and find a nearby hotel, and fly there. If needed, I get a car.

Steve

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2006, 11:03 pm

The idea that someone can't travel JUST because they have AS disregards the spectrum of course. I have issues with traveling though - even if I know where I am going and it is just driving too far from home. But that is mostly applicable to sensory issues which not everyone has to deal with. I have been stuck in traffic with no easy way to get home and it can cause you to freak out on top of the sensory issues. I am much better at dealing with the sensory stuff - but alot of it is avoidance or putting limits on what know I can do. Add to that others have not been real helpful - like getting mad at me if I had an episode - and that makes you feel even more insecure about going on too many adventures. However even if it is someplace fun - like for an overnight trip - trying to factor in all the variables usually makes me cranky at first but then I've learned to plan ahead. I also have issues with not wanting to eat in unfamiliar places, ect and in general the stress level just gets real high. But that does not mean anything about everyone with AS - some have more anxiety too than others anyway.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 12:05 am

I am living on my own, with very little or no assistance from my parents, or the government. Every time I look in my bathroom mirror, I feel good about myself, because I know that I'm proving low-life people like them wrong. I know that I'm proving myself right and proving a lot of people wrong. I can also handle routine changes quite well, thankyou very much. I'm aware of the hidden agendas that other people have. I don't cling onto people. Rain Man is not my name. Those losers should deal with that.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

15 Nov 2006, 12:23 am

Can someone please tell me why the movie was called Rain Man, because I can't figure out why.

[quote="CockneyRebel]Rain Man is not my name[/quote]

How could they come up with that? You're no man, you're a woman (aren't you?)! You should really be called Route Master, or maybe Decker Gal. Or how about The Maple Conductor?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 1:13 am

KBABZ wrote:
Can someone please tell me why the movie was called Rain Man, because I can't figure out why.

[quote="CockneyRebel]Rain Man is not my name

How could they come up with that? You're no man, you're a woman (aren't you?)! You should really be called Route Master, or maybe Decker Gal. Or how about The Maple Conductor?[/quote]

Because that is how the "normal" brother pronounced "Raymond" when he was little.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

15 Nov 2006, 1:15 am

Ah, okay, thanks for that!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 1:58 am

Well, for as coherent and clear as the press is on AS I can imagine she'd say all kinds of things like that if she had anything less than a degree in psychology, AS herself, or an AS kid or husband who had her that familiar with it. AS is a really involved condition - lots of details, lots of contradictions from case to case and person to person, and most people tend to think they can break down and simplify stuff like that as easily as they can tourettes or ADD which isn't the case.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

15 Nov 2006, 2:48 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Well, for as coherent and clear as the press is on AS I can imagine she'd say all kinds of things like that if she had anything less than a degree in psychology, AS herself, or an AS kid or husband who had her that familiar with it. AS is a really involved condition - lots of details, lots of contradictions from case to case and person to person, and most people tend to think they can break down and simplify stuff like that as easily as they can tourettes or ADD which isn't the case.

It's scary to read abouot though. The person who posted that claimed to work with people (or maybe kids) with AS.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 4:33 am

I can't deal with social workers, therapists, psychiatric anything anymore.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 4:44 am

What ticks me off is the people postulating hes doing it as a publicity stunt.

Yeah right.. like any of us would be comfortable with the attention of a bunch of strangers with all the noise and weird questions and talking and routine disruptions, etc.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 4:49 am

NorahW wrote:
It's scary to read abouot though. The person who posted that claimed to work with people (or maybe kids) with AS.

I'm guessing his/her experience would have to be pretty limited though, either that or they're just of *very* average intelligence.

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 6:55 am

walk-in-the-rain wrote:
The idea that someone can't travel JUST because they have AS disregards the spectrum of course. I have issues with traveling though - even if I know where I am going and it is just driving too far from home. But that is mostly applicable to sensory issues which not everyone has to deal with. I have been stuck in traffic with no easy way to get home and it can cause you to freak out on top of the sensory issues. I am much better at dealing with the sensory stuff - but alot of it is avoidance or putting limits on what know I can do. Add to that others have not been real helpful - like getting mad at me if I had an episode - and that makes you feel even more insecure about going on too many adventures. However even if it is someplace fun - like for an overnight trip - trying to factor in all the variables usually makes me cranky at first but then I've learned to plan ahead. I also have issues with not wanting to eat in unfamiliar places, ect and in general the stress level just gets real high. But that does not mean anything about everyone with AS - some have more anxiety too than others anyway.

Look even people on this very forum disregard half the spectrum, its a human trait, to get that special feeling by cutting others out.

Hazelwudi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 7:15 am

Quote:
Look even people on this very forum disregard half the spectrum, its a human trait, to get that special feeling by cutting others out.

This is true, but if someone is so far down the spectrum that they just stare at the wall and flap their hands all day, what else are we supposed to do? They won't communicate, they cannot type, they either do not speak or choose not to, and any disruption to their examination of the corner or their flapping is responded to with immediate physical violence.

There comes a point where you honestly just can't get through.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2006, 7:35 am

I think a lot of the focus on AS in the media is on children with AS.

If the person who has them is given education and plenty of opportunities to reach out when he's ready, Autism spectrum disorders will almost inevitably become less pronounced and less of a disability as the person ages. With enough learning, they will cease to be a disability at all.

When I was ten years old, I was afraid to leave the house (and yard).
When I was fourteen, my range was all of my neighborhood.
By eighteen, I was capable of using taxicabs to travel throughout a city.
And now that I'm twenty-three, I can travel on my own anywhere in the country with only moderate stress.

With the focus on Aspie children rather than adults, and the lack of knowledge about the tendency of Aspies to learn more and more coping skills as they grow older, I am sure that many people will think of an adult Aspie and immediately form the image of a person like me, at age 10, unable to leave the house unaccompanied without stress. They don't realize that this same 10-year-old is now a 23-year-old woman who is capable of going just about anywhere, with a little bit of planning.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com