Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:19 pm

Has anyone been held in custody, or arrested by cops? I know no one will probably want to admit, but I was wondereing of the consequences.

Is there any guidance or social workers in the police corps or in the jails who would pick it up and treat Autistic people with care, or has there been any training whatsoever for police or wardens???

I think this is important to find out and if it doesn't exist we had better start getting the message out.

ProtossX
Toucan
Toucan

27 Aug 2008, 5:26 pm

Yeah i was once for gettin into a physical fight I hit some dude and his jaw was bleeding an then the cops came to my house and I locked the door on them an then they broke I told them that i had autism and that was why i locked the door on them and they said you cant' do taht your under arrest

an so they handcuffed me an took me to there station I didn't have o go jail or nething just they held me for about 4 hours

cops are pretty nice to ppl with autism now a days u just tell em u got autism an ull get special treatment tey might just send u to ur own cell or something

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:27 pm

I have never been in jail and have no criminal record and plan to stay that way.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:30 pm

They have a ward for the mentally challenged but you would be way better off with the regular criminals. They don't give any special treatment to anyone. I know lots of hellish stories of the "suicide cells" where they house the crazies and it is not a place you want to be. 8O

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:34 pm

Magnus wrote:
They have a ward for the mentally challenged but you would be way better off with the regular criminals. They don't give any special treatment to anyone. I know lots of hellish stories of the "suicide cells" where they house the crazies and it is not a place you want to be. 8O

suicide cells? Explain please

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:41 pm

They call the cells in jail that house the "crazy people" suicide cells because most of the people in it are under suicide watch and not actually certifiably crazy. They don't take people with severe mental handicaps.

I'll tell you one story of a girl who went to the crazy section. She told me that one of the inmates played with her privates and ran around screaming like some crazed demon. Think of the exorcist movie. That's how she described it. I don't want to tell you other stories because it's too horrific.

Stay out of jail. 8O

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 5:46 pm

Magnus wrote:
I don't want to tell you other stories because it's too horrific.

Tell us more, please. I'm listening.

Quote:
Stay out of jail. 8O

yeah, Cook County Jail=OH SHI-

those niggaz in the county jail cap...well shank yo ass....and rape you.

Cook County has one of the worst county jails.

EDIT: googling for proof

Quote:
In a scathing report released Thursday, federal authorities said that a culture exists at Cook County Jail in which inmates are systematically beaten by guards and medical care is so substandard that some inmates have died.

Quote:
The largest facility of its kind in the country, the jail long has been criticized as understaffed and overcrowded. In 2004 a special Cook County grand jury condemned the handling of a 1999 mass beating of inmates by correctional officers, and inmates regularly complain to criminal court judges about their treatment there.

What did NWA say...... :wink:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 3109.story

salamander
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Aug 2008, 6:44 pm

Loborojo wrote:
has there been any training whatsoever for police or wardens

I think it would be a mistake to think law enforcement cares about anyone's problems or concerns.

Relyt22

27 Aug 2008, 9:51 pm

I was recently pulled over for a speeding ticket. I didn't say I had Aspergers, nor did he seem to pick up on it. However, he asked if I had anything to drink. All I had to do was say 'no' and no sobriety test was needed.

I don't think I can get too much 'special treatment' out of having Aspergers. Besides, you could never tell with me, unless it was a REALLY intense situation, that I have Aspergers. When the cop pulled me over, I simply said that I didn't realize I was going that fast. I did everything he told me to do and took the ticket.

But now after a few tickets, I don't take any chances.

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2008, 9:56 pm

ProtossX wrote:
Yeah i was once for gettin into a physical fight I hit some dude and his jaw was bleeding an then the cops came to my house and I locked the door on them an then they broke I told them that i had autism and that was why i locked the door on them and they said you cant' do taht your under arrest

an so they handcuffed me an took me to there station I didn't have o go jail or nething just they held me for about 4 hours

cops are pretty nice to ppl with autism now a days u just tell em u got autism an ull get special treatment tey might just send u to ur own cell or something

Did they perchance hit your head at some point?

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2008, 10:32 pm

ProtossX wrote:

I think it's really sh***y that some people will use their disability to get special treatment when they don't need it. When people deliberately use thier AS, autism, or whatever they have as a crutch, it really makes the rest of us look like weak slackers. If they didn't crack you with the nightstick a couple times as Drakilor suspected, they should have.

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Aug 2008, 2:24 am

I'm extremely unlikely to get arrested. The mere thought of breaking the rules seriously makes my brain hurt.

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 3:24 am

When I was 21 I was picked up for graffiti and put into a dark cell for about half an hour it was very scary. I never saw the cops face and then they came in and wanted to do a search which of course freaked me out as I hate being touched. Yes I was stupid but IMO the cops over reacted to my minor indescretion.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 5:03 am

Liopleurodon wrote:
I'm extremely unlikely to get arrested. The mere thought of breaking the rules seriously makes my brain hurt.

same here.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2008, 10:07 am

Here is a Jail Diary by an autistic woman who was sent to jail. Note the awfulness about the (lack of) migraine meds. (She has also been to prison for much longer, all for civil disobedience sort of stuff, but she doesn't have a piece of writing out about that.)

Also, there is a book called A Different Kind of Normal by Jeanette Purkis, who was in jail/prison a lot for awhile and eventually diagnosed with autism.

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2008, 10:17 am

Personally if I did something wrong... I’d rather just go to jail. I don’t want to go to jail but I’m not going pull the “IM SPEEEECIAL!! !!” card.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."