Aspie going to a concert, need advice.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 6:13 pm

lemurs366 wrote:
One thing is though, beware of the drunks, especialy if your not used to them. I find with asperger's its hard to tell when some people are drunk, so be careful

I stay away from pretty much anyone acting oddly. Also, my dad was an alcoholic...

pinkbowtiepumps wrote:
ear plugs, and go with at least one other friend. Never go to shows alone, and always stay with at least one person you know. Also, avoid mosh pits if there are any (I don't know the band you're going to see, but there's always a good chance that there will be a mosh pit)

I'm not planning on moshing. :)

And again, thanks for the advice. 8D I'll probably wear earplugs for my first few concerts until I get used to the crowds.

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

Valkyrie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2008, 6:26 pm

Followthereaper90 wrote:
what is mosh pit?

A mosh pit is that big crowd of standing people in front of the stage who jump around and bang into each other.

31 Aug 2008, 8:38 pm

Use earplugs.

31 Aug 2008, 8:39 pm

pinkbowtiepumps wrote:
ear plugs, and go with at least one other friend. Never go to shows alone, and always stay with at least one person you know. Also, avoid mosh pits if there are any (I don't know the band you're going to see, but there's always a good chance that there will be a mosh pit)

Concerts are so much fun, you'll probably be too focused on the music to be overwhelmed. It's fantastic. Hope you have a great time!

Someone told me mosh pits got banned.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 8:43 pm

Oooh concerts are so amazing, I go to at least three a week!! :D

Always take earplugs. Wear them at all gigs and in nightclubs too - your hearing is so important. Also, it drowns out the nasty frequencies and you hear the music better and clearer, and don't get ringing ears afterwards.

Make sure you've got a meeting point organised so if you get seperated from your friends you know where to look for each other, too. The bathrooms are a good one usually, or a back corner of the hall, or the smoking area.

And have fun, honestly, nothing... NOTHING beats seeing a band live. :D

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 4:24 am

It might be fun, just feel the music. The great thing about concerts is that everyone seems to be into themselves and the band.
I hope you have a great time. The lines are awful though so just look down and get passed that. Loud music is great. You'll see how everyone is in his/her own world there.

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:35 am

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to head out in a couple of hours and I'll definitely take this advice. :)

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:51 am

Nairin wrote:
But... this is my first concert and I'm not sure how I'll deal with the noise - meaning the other fans around me.

I don't know if this is a local band or not...most local shows I go to don't get too terribly loud. If it's a bigger band, you won't even be able to hear the crowd, because the music will be so loud.

I brought earplugs to my first concert, but I didn't end up using them...the bass thumping in my chest bothered me more than the actual music did :x

But then once Sabbath got up on stage, I didn't really care anymore =D

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Someone told me mosh pits got banned.

Don't know about mosh pits, but stage diving/crowd surfing isn't allowed anymore.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Sep 2008, 12:09 pm

What I do, since we go to a lot of concerts (my husband is a musician and loves live music) and some of them I don't particularly care for, is to take earplugs and a book. Or my MP3 player. Sometimes I can drown out the show with my own noise. The book helps alot, though. When we go to a show that he wants to see, but I don't care for one way or the other, I take a book and although it looks weird to others, it makes me stay calm. My tolerance factor drops dramatically for the sensory inputs when I don't care for the band.

Sometimes, too, we are both avid photographers, so I can sometimes put off the meltdown factor by taking pictures. When he's enjoying the show I take pictures for him. It also helps that (a) I'm a foot shorter than him. That makes for pix from a different perspective and (b) that I'm autistic. That makes for pix from a different perspective.

It's a coping tool. Digital cameras allow me to take 4000 pix of the same thing from different angles so that I get a picture that's pretty cool and that I really like!