Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 7:15 am

Rap and today's Pop makes me feel angry, because it makes me think about the direction that society's gone in. British oldies make me feel energized. Punk makes me feel even more energized and happy. I don't know why they call Soft Rock, Rock because it makes me feel tired and depressed. Classical music makes me feel intrigued, because it has many components to it. It makes me feel mentally sharp.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:04 pm

A while back, I was reading about INTP profiles (which I am), and was talking about how INTPs don't like music that tries to evoke an emotional response unless we are already in that emotional mindset...we feel threatened that the music is trying to force us into something and we turn away from it...and I think this defines me perfectly.

I always have to sit and think a bit before I put some music on, I have to figure out what mood I'm in and which music will best fit it...sucks when I can't figure out my mood :x

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:09 pm

Tahitiii wrote:
Also, the music itself doesn't usually get to me unless the lyrics do.

I'm the complete opposite. The lyrics don't do a thing for me, it's the music that hits me.

Take Del Shannon's Runaway for instance. Looking at the lyrics, it's a terribly depressing song (he was a master at sorrow), but the original song (and the Stereo re-recording) has this really upbeat tempo to it, it's almost a dance song...I don't get the depression vibes from it at all.

But he rerecorded the song in 1967, and gave it a much slower pace, a much more sombre sound, incredibly soulful singing, and it hits me like a cannon...BAM! :cry:

Same thing with Peter Gabriel's Games Without Frontiers (versus the Massive Attack "remix"). The original version just reminds me of children playing...I'm pretty sure it's actually supposed to be about war criminals and stuff...but I heard that remix, and all I could think of was cheating in relationships o_O

"Games without frontiers, war without tears."

Maybe I'm just weird :oops:

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:10 pm

marshall wrote:
Mostly music that is supposed to evoke a negative emotion evokes a positive emotion in me. Sad music makes me feel sublime inside.

same here.

my friends hate it when I take over the stereo cause I'd always play something they consider "depressing" :p

Nairin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:10 pm

Definitely. 8D

"Tourniquet" by Evanescence used to make me go into a rage, "I'm So Sick" by Flyleaf releieves all of my stress, "Breathe No More" by Evanescence makes me sad and afraid, "Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan" by Nightwish makes me calm, "Far Away" by Nickelback makes me happy, "Forgiven" by Within Temptation makes me cry, and the list goes on...

Tailchaser's Song" by Tad Williams

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 12:31 pm

Postperson wrote:
music is emotion, a lot of it anyway.

no you're right, that is what it is.

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 1:24 pm

I was amazed when this song came out that no one I talked to knew that it was about anything at all. They just thought it was a cool dance song. They were stunned to silence when I quoted, in a monotone, "Crazy people walkin round With blood in their eyes" and "Wild-eyed pistol wavers Who ain't afraid to die." What did they think that meant? How could they not hear it?

"All She Wants To Do Is Dance" by Don Henley
http://new.music.yahoo.com/videos/DonHe ... e--2142593

Theyre pickin up the prisoners and puttin em in the pen...
Rebels been rebels since I dont know when...
Molotov cocktail-the local drink...
They mix em up right in the kitchen sink...
Crazy people walkin round With blood in their eyes...
Wild-eyed pistol wavers Who aint afraid to die...

Well, the government bugged the mens room in the local disco lounge...
To keep the boys from sellin All the weapons they could scrounge...
But that dont keep the boys From makin a buck or two...
They still can sell the army All the drugs that they can do

Well, we barely made the airport For the last plane out
As we taxied down the runway, I could hear the people shout
They said, dont come back here yankee! But if I ever do- Ill bring more money
cause all she wants to do is dance, And make romance
Never mind the heat comin off the street
She wants to party She wants to get down
All she wants to do is- All she wants to do is dance

And why can't anyone hear it now?

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 4:00 pm

^^
They're paying attention to the "beat" and the repetitive "And all she wants to do is dance, dance"; as it is louder than the discussion on rebellion, politics, government, etc...

many people apparently don't pay attention to the sounds...

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2008, 11:36 pm

I was also surprised one day to discover that my best friend didn't know that "99 Red Balloons" is a song about a nuclear war and the end of the world. Some people just don't LISTEN to the lyrics. They hear them, but they don't listen.

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2008, 2:02 am

I think music is the main way in which I deal with emotions.

Don't know how I'm feeling about something? Write a song and see what happens.

Overwhelmed with emotion? Listen to music or play music -> sanity.

Need to express an emotion? Play some music or make a mix tape.

aintnowreck
Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2008, 10:22 am

Well, hell yeah.

Nothing like having shivers from an awesome song.

Nothing beats this. Nothing.

Chaotica
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 1:23 am

I listen to music almost all the time, but when I'm sad it brings me positive emotions.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 1:42 am

Funaho wrote:
I was also surprised one day to discover that my best friend didn't know that "99 Red Balloons" is a song about a nuclear war and the end of the world. Some people just don't LISTEN to the lyrics. They hear them, but they don't listen.

I don't know how you can miss some of it after listening it many times ("This is it, boys! This is War! this is is what we've been waiting for! The president is on the line, 99 red balloons go by"

The version by Goldfinger is better; it's more 'aggressive' in its sounds (yes weird/hard to describe) and violent and the like-more fitting. less pussified like the original
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2D-OqZxdZiU

(I googled this-so the uk thing came up-I live in the US and am not using Tor)

EDIT: also the " ("This is it, boys! This is War! this is is what we've been waiting for! The president is on the line, 99 red balloons go by" and the "Call out the troops in a hurry" imply a "conventional war" between NATO and the Warsaw Pact; which IIRC was one of the original war plans both sides planned for. Assuming the Soviets invaded West Germany as a beginning, and made it to the French Border/invaded France and the US and rest of NATO couldn't stop them, NATO would use tactical nukes on the Soviet Armies; the Soviets use Tactical Nukes in return and it escalates from there...

EDIT 2: I also had an image ot US Aircraft (fighters mainly) flying in the sky (over West Germany? In Formation yes). Maybe some other NATO craft. And NATO troops skipping out of their bunkers in that 30s-40s style from 3 stooges or something....and sliding similarly..

EDIT 3: it could also apply to both sides immediately pwnign each other with ICBMs..and the results.

EDIT 4: well depending on the time period and if they know the time period it came out (well the people if they're aware of the time period and original place); it could refer to aliens, of a gang fight, or people accidentally getting into nigga moments over trivial s**t depending on perspective. Or even a dance...lol.

EDIt 5: f**k this post turned out of it...

intense
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2008, 2:18 am

My main obsession I don't think I could function without it, no words can describe how it makes me feel and I feel so much better when I listen, it calms me down like nothing else and it seems to stop my stimms too.

Funaho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2008, 9:32 am

Warsie wrote:
The version by Goldfinger is better; it's more 'aggressive' in its sounds (yes weird/hard to describe) and violent and the like-more fitting. less pussified like the original

Yeah their version is definitely much better, and it's the one I keep on CD in my car (part of my "FTW" CD that I listen to when I'm mad -- it stands for F*** The World.) I first heard Goldfinger's version in a very cool anime music video called "99 Orchestrations', set to RahXephon.

For me the most obvious line about the end of the world is near the end: "99 dreams I have / in every one a red balloon / it's all over and I'm standing pretty / in the dust that was a city"