How is your relationship with your body?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 9:00 am

Hi there,

How is your relationship with your body?

I mean, are you aware what signals it is giving?

A bit strange is my relationship with my body, sometimes it feels like I am only my head and the rest below my ears come in second or even in lesser/lower(?) place.

I am, for instance, not always aware that I need to pee and just realising it when I get a really cold sensation, goose-flesh and a weirdish trembling and just in time I rush off to the toilet. Btw. I do not wet my pants. (or nearly never, that is.)

Or coldness idem. I sometimes do not notice it or notice very late that it's really cold. And once I realized it so late I could not stop shaking for hours.

Or even weirder still, once on a skiing trip I chopped some wood for the fire and the axe missed the log(?), due to my own clumbsiness, and the swing ended when the sharp point hit my right leg just under the knee. I really didn't realized the effect this action had 'till my boot became really wet, after 15 minutes or so. I lost, I think, over one liter of blood and never felt a thing.

'Listen to your body', the doctor said a couple of times very seriously when I had the illness called 'Pheiffer', years back. Listen to your body! How? What is it telling me exactly? f**k, I hate not understanding it. I mix up all sorts of feelings too.

Duh....
:( :? :D :wink: (This will be the only time I use emo's, I hope)

This post has a bit of down ring to it, maybe. But I am not. Never will I go there again. I wish not. My glass is half full. And the surface of the liquid can only be disturbed by myself.

Best of luck to you all,
Ceesjan

[quote]
Simplex Sigillum Veri

Last edited by Erminea on 01 Sep 2008, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 9:35 am

My relationship is good but non-conventional.

Sometimes it feels like I'm stirring a ship. For example, in a game of soccer I know I have to run and kick and pass.

But I've got to steer my limbs to do that, and it just goes wrong.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:22 am

I don't really recognize the meatsuit as 'me' on a regular basis... body and self have a stark split between them, with some strange degrees of communication between them.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 11:56 am

My relationship is pretty crappy =D

I'm basically a hypochondriac because I'll have some weird feeling and have no idea what it is, and completely freak out that it's something serious, when it's probably just a gas bubble or a pinched nerve.

A lot of times I'll get a pain or an itch and it'll take me forever (if ever) to pinpoint its location =/

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 1:14 pm

Wholly dysfunctional.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 1:45 pm

My body is uncoordinated and awkward. It feels as though it is just a flesh puppet that I'm controlling. I don't take care of it the way I should, because I tend to think of it as just a vehicle for what really matters - my brain.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 2:28 pm

Recepters within my body send me signals, I process them and send signals to my muscles and glands.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 3:11 pm

I have a pretty good relationship with my body, and can tell when I'm getting too cold or hot and need to do something about it. I also know when it's time to use the bathroom, and enough muscle control to wait until I find a bathroom.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2008, 5:21 pm

Sometimes the relationship is good, but other times the body acts as though I'm not even here.

gray_imagination
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2008, 7:12 pm

there was another thread like this somewhere I think and people were saying the same things.

I had no idea my relationship with my body was so....NOT until recently. Now I think about it and try to observe what the heck is going on out of curiosity. But I'm really not too concerned.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2008, 7:33 pm

I'm clumsy and uncoordinated, so I guess I'm one of those people that fits the old saying "not comfortable in their own skin" (or something to that effect, if not word for word)

RedRose
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2008, 8:33 pm

I frequently find that when I am talking to people - especially if I get very interested in a topic and forget what I'm doing that people mimic and laugh at the hand gestures I make. I would probably explain it as not being aware of myself - like I can't see myself and so I have no awareness of what I look like to other people.