Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2008, 9:01 pm

Today in one of my classes, this one guy was saying he was a genius because he was autistic. He was going on about that and the teacher didn't seem to be buying the story and asked if he knew what autism was. He replied that autism is when you're a genius but you dont fit right into society. The teacher went on to tell him that he was incorrect and she thought he didn't really know what it really is. I was sitting two rows away and added a "Really!" after what the teacher said and some people looked my way. Needless to say, that guy was pretty stupid to go around saying that sort of thing, especially when he had NO IDEA WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT!! !! I found him to be an idiot with seemingly little to no respect for REAL autistics and aspies.
Fellow Wrong Planeters, I ask you: How should we handle such situations and have you yourselves experienced anything like this before? Feedback is appreciated. Thank you. -Power Girl
P.S. Should we also make it a time to educate unknowing NTs about us or wait for a more oppertune time?

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 9:25 pm

I never used to know what autism was.. with the way my brother described it was a very similar way.. he said they have a tendency to be geniuses... that prevented me from looking into it a bit, but the more i think about it, the more my musical abilities seem very natural and easy. . Im not saying im a genius, but From when I was a child my imagination has always been my best friend, and my worst enemy.. it's like a superpower 8O

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 9:28 pm

I used to and actually still do have a powerful imagination as well. We just have some super strengths but some super weaknesses too.. oh yeah as how to deal with the stupid "NT"? Other than to smack him, sit him down, don't let him move anywhere and give a good, long lecture about autism :)

PowerGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2008, 9:29 pm

what if they're the type who wont do what you say and are all "Man! I"m not listening to this!"? -Power Girl

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 9:55 pm

I met one for the first time the other day. It was really weird. But at least he seemed to know the symptoms.
I think how you deal with them depends on whether or not they're doing it for attention or are genuinely misguided.

Electric_Kite
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 9:56 pm

It sounds as if the guy saying this is just a kid. Maybe the teacher will choose to take care of it. You could speak to her about it. I wouldn't worry about it. Sounds like he's a wanker.

They said I was a genius when I was a child. (More or less true. I'm the eight-dollar shiraz of geniuses -- yep, that's a real dry red wine, pretty good but not very special.) All these books my mom had about raising a 'gifted' child had bits about such children being prone to traits that would also fit into 'aspie.' Very few of the many 'gifted' people that I've been thrown in with in various programs are evenly bright. They are almost always spectacular at some things and startlingly stupid at others.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 9:56 pm

thats crazy i never heard of that before, all i knew about autism before was that it was like ur in ur own world 247 and all u do is rock, because thats all i heard. my one orthopediast saw my autism diagnosis and when i asked him if he thought i was autistic and so on, he said yes, and i said what did u think, he said well i know u guys are very smart, so i really didnt have to worry about anything, so i was glad he thought of that. the trainer at my gym thought autism was just mental retardation, he didnt know there was even such a thing as high functioning or moderate functioning for that matter. my orthopediast knew though medical terms and i was his first autistic, so proud hehe lol.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:06 pm

Well PowerGirl that guy probably wouldn't have listened ANYWAY! In some ways, some autistics ARE geniuses, and they DON'T fit into society, but his explanation, even then, is overly simplistic. He probably thought he was flattering himself. And WHY would a genius feel like he had to brag? It isn't like some of those old movies where geniuses do ANYTHING, outside of social. Social ability HAS generally been the one sorespot for geniuses, even when autism isn't mentioned. A person could have an IQ of 200 in every area, and still be inspired, or beat, by someone below normal.

BTW I don't know if you have any clear and neat talents, like flash counting, eidetic memory, math ability, music, etc... If you did, it might be interesting to see if he did. I mean HE wants to brag, right!?!?

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 10:40 pm

I think that your choice of the word "Really!" was a good response.

legendoftheselkie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Sep 2008, 10:43 pm

Did he ever think that he doesn't fit into society because he's an a**hole?
Seriously, everybody thinks they're different, especially at that age, and most people would like to think they're special. Now if this guy thinks he's a genius, you'd think that's special enough, but autism and Asperger's are apparently cool right now. Like Black people and Native Americans, we've gone from pariahs to the new club everyone wants to join...except the people who still hate us. Go figure!

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:08 pm

I remember this other autistic guy claiming I'm a fraud, a liar and "wanting to be molly-coddled"....f*****g asshat. (note this was an internet flamewar-I flamed back but his butt-buddies all jumped my ass at fist so I couldn't fight too good against them and I went into a shutdown due to that bastard's sneak attack-but I managed to do something decent...some people helped me out in ways to defuse the situation...)

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:16 pm

Warsie wrote:
I remember this other autistic guy claiming I'm a fraud, a liar and "wanting to be molly-coddled"....f***ing asshat. (note this was an internet flamewar-I flamed back but his butt-buddies all jumped my ass at fist so I couldn't fight too good against them and I went into a shutdown due to that bastard's sneak attack-but I managed to do something decent...some people helped me out in ways to defuse the situation...)

Gah, I hate it when people do that! It's like, "blah, I'm better than you 'cuz I think I'm more autistic and everyone else is just a poser." I wonder if Williams Syndrome or Downs' Syndrome people do that too. "You're faking it!" "No, you're faking it!"

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:29 pm

Aurore wrote:
Gah, I hate it when people do that! It's like, "blah, I'm better than you 'cuz I think I'm more autistic and everyone else is just a poser." I wonder if Williams Syndrome or Downs' Syndrome people do that too. "You're faking it!" "No, you're faking it!"

He was arguing for saying Autism is a disease/disability and says he disavows social stigmas by disavowing 'cretins like you who whine' about the fact that Society is biased and a piece-of-shit and places BS on autistics-for example the Judge rotenberg center...no they were all dishonest sacks of s**t and didn't watch the youtube videos I posted..

one of that jackasses quotes

Quote:
You know how people like me deal with social stigmas? We disavow cretins like you who whine. We fight and we fit in as best we can and we explain to people the reality: That we are broken but still function. We do not hide behind the fig leaves of comparing believing our disability to, shock, be a disability, behind the fig leaves of homophobia and racism.

Get out of my sight before you whine again.

ehh here's the link
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... w=previous

flaming begins on the second page...

EDIT: I was banned for something else lol; not related to that...

EDIt 2: because I quote something I automatically want it for myself......

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:39 pm

Warsie wrote:
He was arguing for saying Autism is a disease/disability and says he disavows social stigmas by disavowing 'cretins like you who whine' about the fact that Society is biased and a piece-of-sh** and places BS on autistics-for example the Judge rotenberg center...no they were all dishonest sacks of sh** and didn't watch the youtube videos I posted..

one of that jackasses quotes

Quote:
You know how people like me deal with social stigmas? We disavow cretins like you who whine. We fight and we fit in as best we can and we explain to people the reality: That we are broken but still function. We do not hide behind the fig leaves of comparing believing our disability to, shock, be a disability, behind the fig leaves of homophobia and racism.

Get out of my sight before you whine again.

Sounds like a total dick!

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:42 pm

Aurore wrote:

He is, considering some of the s**t he says...the fact that he ended up a supermodator on a site that is about "sci-fi, science and mockery of stupid people" is telling...and the 'stupid people' tend not to be the mods/admins/etc often and the royals can sling s**t at each other with no problem.....

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 11:47 pm

Warsie wrote:
Aurore wrote:

He is, considering some of the sh** he says...the fact that he ended up a supermodator on a site that is about "sci-fi, science and mockery of stupid people" is telling...and the 'stupid people' tend not to be the mods/admins/etc often and the royals can sling sh** at each other with no problem.....

Oh, God, he's a supermoderator?! !