Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 11:02 am

This is one of those videos that you can buy for kids to help them with social skills, ect.. I watched this little tid bit, and thought that there is no way in the world for someone to properly read that facial expression in the half second it's shown. I showed it to my NT hubby, and daughter, and they were able to correctly identify it very easily. I'd like to see how everyone on WP does with it. I've thought about buying a set for my 6 year old. (hint: it will give you the answer after 8 seconds, so pause it if you're still thinking about it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngXjQ88yBtw

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 11:22 am

I wasen't able to identify it but I forgot to pause so I didn't have much time to think about it.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 11:46 am

I didn't get it at all.

Magicfly
Toucan
Toucan

09 Sep 2008, 12:22 pm

I had no idea at all what expression it was, or that it even was one.

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2008, 12:27 pm

I've gotten the whole "I dont believe it" look plenty of times, and i don't remember it looking like that

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:28 pm

I didn't get it either but I could tell the acting was bad and exaggerated... what does that mean?

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:29 pm

Fraya wrote:
I didn't get it either but I could tell the acting was bad and exaggerated... what does that mean?

That the acting was bad and exaggerated.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 12:52 pm

I think they needed to exaggerate it to make it easier to show each part of the facial expression. I guess the meaning of the expression would be obvious to some.

stephaniecatherine
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Sep 2008, 1:19 pm

i'm not sure...maybe he thinks whatever the other guy said was stupid? i don't know. no one word for the expression though..

i didn't actually see what the expression really was....there's no sound on the computer i watched it on...did they say out loud what the expression was?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:22 pm

I didn't know where I was supposed to pause it at.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 1:45 pm

stephaniecatherine wrote:
i'm not sure...maybe he thinks whatever the other guy said was stupid? i don't know. no one word for the expression though..

i didn't actually see what the expression really was....there's no sound on the computer i watched it on...did they say out loud what the expression was?

It was an "I don't believe you" expression.

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I didn't know where I was supposed to pause it at.

You could pause it at 8 seconds, if you wanted to think about your answer before they gave it to you.

It may be exaggerated a little, but the expression is pretty valid, I think. Like I said my husband, and daughter started laughing as soon as they saw the boy's reaction to the comment. They knew he thought the other kid was lying. I definitely saw an expression, but I thought it was more of a surprised/excited look.

09 Sep 2008, 1:56 pm

I couldn't understand the expression and I didn't even know he had raised his eyebrows. Does that mean every person who pulls themselves back and makes their mouth look like that and raise their eye brows, they don't believe you?

Joon did that in Benny & Joon in the park except she didn't pull her head back when Sam was performing tricks. Mmmm. How could she not believe Sam, he was doing them right in front of her where everyone was watching. I figured she did it it because Sam put his hands close to her face flicking off an imaginary fly at her.

Facial expressions are confusing.

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2008, 2:26 pm

Had no problems identifying the expression, didn't even pause.

Arg... how I want that second diagnosis.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 2:32 pm

It's the 'I'm amused, but just pretend to be impressed (do that for kids) or I'm amused, act impressed though I think you're joking' look, I think.

I listened to the video after writing and apparently I was correct with the 2nd guess.

I think that's the only thing my IQ profile is good for. High processing speed, high pattern recognition stuff and all. Not the ability to learn intellectual stuff but breaking everything into patterns and recognising them perfectly.

Hah, I'm super proud of myself, recognizing that correctly! Wouldn't have recognised it a year ago even.

I can do that look for the kids at work too.

The only downside is that in reality, people have far far less facial movement. The changes are way too tiny to understand. Most people seem to always have about the same expression/no definite unless they smile, laugh or cry or make exaggerated expressions.

Sir_Beefy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Sep 2008, 2:40 pm

I couldn't tell from the facial expression that he didn't believe him, but I used the context of the dialogue to figure it out

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 2:57 pm

I am usually good at reading facial expressions.. that was not a huge problem for me for that long, he was basically saying while he looked like that "no way!" or he had a hard time believing him.