Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 9:14 pm

Do some symptoms of fetal alcohol syndrome overlap with AS?

I have very very good friend who is fetal-alcohol, and he talks on for hours about his special interest. He also wore the same sweater for all of last year. (this year it was too small.) He doesn't brush his hair, he takes things literal, and he's allergic to wheat-gluten and is very mildly lactose intolerant.

He seems very aspie to me, so that it why I would like to know. :)

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 9:19 pm

I have no idea, you can always do more research on FAS. It is possible in some cases to have FAS and be under the spectrum as well I would think.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 9:30 pm

I always assumed FAS was associated with mental retardation. I did however once know someone who had FAS, but he was quite brilliant in an aspie way. He had Pi memorized to several hundred places.

So it's an interesting premise.

06 Sep 2008, 9:37 pm

Not all FAS people have MR. But I heard ADHD is part of it. They can also have learning disabilities too. Symptoms do overlap.

My next door neighbor had FAS. My mother could tell because his head was real big and his ears were low. He looked normal to me so I assumed very mild. I thought his head was big because he was fat. His mother drank when she was pregnant so I suspected he had it and I was right. My mother would know because she is a nurse. I am sure she had to study that condition when she was in college but I dunno when that condition was discovered.
He also had ADHD and that was when my mother told me it's part of it.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 9:38 pm

Apatura wrote:
I always assumed FAS was associated with mental retardation. I did however once know someone who had FAS, but he was quite brilliant in an aspie way. He had Pi memorized to several hundred places.

So it's an interesting premise.

My friend isn't ret*d either... 8O

I also ask this because he has the same issues as alot of aspies seem to:

Smart but lacking a few life skills, as well as some social ones.

ADHD?

Interesting. he also has some attention-issues. But my friend's head isn't really 'big'. He just has the facial features of it.

HHmmmm...

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 9:50 pm

I have an online friend (not from here) who has a step-daughter with FAS who is also diagnosed aspie. I never thought to ask her if they were in any way connected. It does not seem to me they would be.