Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 3:34 pm

I have made one friend on this site but we never talk anymore.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Sep 2008, 3:41 pm

I have come across many wonderful, interesting, "friendly", funny, thoughtful, understanding, and like-minded, people on WP, but could not say that I have made any friends, because although contacts have frequently been amicable, supportive, interested, playfully, ( or seriously but respectfully ) combatitive, and there are some with whom I have felt /do feel great connection/comprehension/identification I have barely exchanged any pms, and have no ongoing dialogue with anyone outside of the threads.

Sometimes i feel very sorry about this, ( especially when someone whose posts I particularly appreciated leaves the board, or is less frequently present/participant) , but the few times that I have received pms I have either had so much trouble replying, or, on the contrary, enjoyed replying very much but then neither they nor I seemed to know how to take it further, that this seems simpler and almost better because it takes the stress out of WP that might otherwise build up for me, and did on another site before.

?

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 4:00 pm

As far as I know there's nobody from my country here, so I haven't met anyone from here. I haven't been here for very long either, so I haven't really gotten to know anyone here really well yet, but hopefully I will. I think it's really nice to have finally found some like-minded people who understand me.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 4:02 pm

Planet Pals topic

Ouinon, you are a nice person to talk to here on WP. I am just not very good at chit chat as I have never done it and it scares me. I only seem to lecture and it is all very OCD and perseverance.Sometimes I even read like a b***h. Lately I have been only having imaginary conversations with Sartre and Kafka. :wink:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Sep 2008, 4:12 pm

sartresue wrote:
Ouinon, you are a nice person to talk to here on WP.

Thank you!
Quote:
I am just not very good at chit chat as I have never done it and it scares me.

I either find it boring or with a scary life of its own which takes over a connection/contact so that I find myself saying things that I don't mean. etc.
Quote:
I only seem to lecture and it is all very OCD and perseverance.

I am very prone to that too.
Quote:
Sometimes I even read like a b***h.

Yes, that's odd; I'd noticed that on a couple of occasions, and was rather surprised because I didn't think of you like that, but, being on WP, :wink: I mostly put it down to problems with expression; I have it too, the awful fine lines between serious and humour, and so on.
Quote:
Lately I have been only having imaginary conversations with Sartre and Kafka. :wink:
:lol:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 4:46 pm

ouinon wrote:
I have come across many wonderful, interesting, "friendly", funny, thoughtful, understanding, and like-minded, people on WP

You mean apart from me there are others too?! :wink:

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 5:01 pm

I have exchanged a few PMs but nothing that lasted beyond that, so no. Is there some sort of etiquette to these things?

ManErg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 5:10 pm

I hate chiming in with 'me too', but I'll echo what Ouinon said!

Although not perfect, WP is quite different to any other forum in a way that I appreciate.

OK, some of it is thinly veiled flirting, which I personally find tiresome. But on the other hand, the number of intelligent, thought provoking, totally individual ideas and viewpoints I've read from people here gives me hope. And I'm pleased that so many of these people are ridiculously young to be displaying such wisdom!

Maybe you can have an "Internet Friend" as a new category of friend? Over time, there are people whose posts regularly have me (metaphorically) nodding my head, agreeing and thinking "hey, I thought it was just me". It would be nice to actually meet people like that, but then maybe an illusion would be shattered??? For example, I feel that when writing posts, with careful attention and rereading and editting, I can maybe communicate what I want about 50% accurately. In real life face-to-face communication, it's WAY short of that. Almost enough to be a different person.

nettiespaghetti
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2008, 7:20 pm

I haven't made friends per say, I don't know if I ever will. But I still enjoy coming here, and I have talked to some very nice people. Who knows, maybe some day

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 7:31 pm

am have been here for a long time,but have never had a friend/have never got into long direct communication with anyone,other than the rare pm to discuss something,or to warn another WPer of something bad theyve not spotted,am also take a while to reply to direct communication because of difficulties with putting language together so am not one for relieing on in terms of direct chat.
am dont have any interest in having friends,but am respect almost every WPer on here as the same,and think this whole community is like all are friends anyway-can always guarantee support off WPers if have a problem/whatever.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 7:38 pm

Adverb is the only close friend I really have now, I guess. WaxDeejay PMed me today after we met last weekend at the Menil Museum so maybe we'll be friends. Kilroy and I have been PMing lately too. In the past I've been friends with Kilroy, Brittany2907, username88, MADDuck, Sinsboldly, lucy1, rexmas, GoatOnFire, and others. I've met Poopylungstuffing, username88, GoatOnFire, MADDuck, Flipmode, WaxDeejay, aquales, and stephaniecatherine, and of course adverb, whom I live with. :)

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 8:00 pm

I've made some online friends, but I've never met anyone from here in person.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 8:02 pm

I've met Raylynn and LiendaBalla, and I may meet some of the San Antonio members in a couple of weeks.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

06 Sep 2008, 8:26 pm

I have made a few friends here.

Dasha
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Sep 2008, 8:28 pm

yes, I don't see why having no one from your country would stop you from making friends here.

There is nothing wrong with having friends who are in other countries

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 8:43 pm

I feel I have made a few :lol: