Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

paolo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 3:35 pm

I see very frequently here savage attacks of NTs. Fore NTs we often mean one particular kind of NTs: the insecure NT. Insecure NTs are probably more prone than anybody else to defend and even fake their “normality”. So they are more intolerant of weird people than anybody else. They are most unlikely to try to understand what lies behind some trait of weirdness. To understand the underground life of difficult persons would put in jeopardy their own strained “normality”. The image we have of those we use to call NTs is a distorted image. It is the image of people who overstress their conformism in order to keep hidden some skeleton in the closet of their intimate life. Personally I know very sweet normal people (my woman janitor, many of the shopkeepers I meet everyday). Of course I have no deep relationship with them, But I trust my judgment here. Sometimes you can like people from a smile or the way they say good day or hello, or by some little piece of their relational behavior.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 3:36 pm

NTs shouldn't need a defence. The anti-NT prejudice that occasionally surfaces on here is nobody's fault but the people spouting it.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 3:44 pm

I spent my whole life believing I was NT (didnt know any better) and ALL my friends are NTs so I'm far from judging anyone but there are a LOT of behaviours that I find extremely puzzling and weird about them and I don't really hesitate to tell them about it. I often refer to them as "people" which obviously ends up with them saying something like "you' re sounding as if you didn't consider yourself human" but the fact is, they ARE a different species and there's no doubt about it. their world just looks a hell of a lot different than ours.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 3:48 pm

Different species? Shall we treat the blacks differently as well?

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Sep 2008, 3:53 pm

It should be noted that the deliniation between aspie and NT is a man-made, abstract meaning. It's a constantly evolving understanding, and shouldn't be regarded as absolute or used as a focal point for peoples' personal misunderstandings. Arbitrarily assigning meaning and judgement on labels is just misleading and exacerbates existing social problems!

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 3:56 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:

I really have no idea why you are reffering to black people here, especially since I've never mentioned any other difference but neurological...

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 3:58 pm

anna-banana wrote:
JohnHopkins wrote:

I really have no idea why you are reffering to black people here, especially since I've never mentioned any other difference but neurological...

They're a different species.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:01 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
JohnHopkins wrote:

OK firstly there's no way you're gonna get me into a racial discussion here since I don't even get racism at ALL so either get back to the subject (NTs) or just drop it mate.

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:02 pm

How is it any different to treating NTs differently? People are people.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:10 pm

I get treated differently because my NT friends don't accept or respect me. That proves to me we get treated different because we are different.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:11 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
How is it any different to treating NTs differently? People are people.

I don't treat NTs differently, I've never even met any aspies in real life so far (at least not conciously) to even know if I would treat them differently. I do realise that NT brains function differently fron mine tho and always knew it but I can't say that about people of different race- hence my question.

:D

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:12 pm

We're different from each other and so are they. People should be treated as individuals and to do any less is prejudice.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:36 pm

JohnHopkins wrote:
We're different from each other and so are they. People should be treated as individuals and to do any less is prejudice.

I do agree witho you here, still don't know why you started with the racial thing but nevermind, I know you meant well.

peace.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:42 pm

anna-banana wrote:
JohnHopkins wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
JohnHopkins wrote:

OK firstly there's no way you're gonna get me into a racial discussion here since I don't even get racism at ALL so either get back to the subject (NTs) or just drop it mate.

John has a point. It's not the standard point, but I understand it. A dog is a dog. A labrador is different from another species. And this is where the first comment comes in. There was no racist comments made here. But someone is "presuming" there is one being made
Quote:

Only an example was issued, someone else added racism to it

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:51 pm

anna-banana wrote:
JohnHopkins wrote:

It's a parallel. Historical attitudes towards blacks and their humanness, and your attitude towards your own humanness. You aren't a different species any more than blacks.

And there's no definitive line between autistic/aspie and NT. As different as the two are, in general, still, it's a continuum, with some folks not solidly either.

Also, I like the idea Paolo expresses in the first post in this thread.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 4:55 pm

I have two really good friends who are NT. The three of us go out, almost every night. There's never been a problem between us three. Dean's my Roddy, Barb's my Rita and I'm their Sid. :O)