Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Do you feel your clothes on your skin all the time?
Yes 72%  72%  [ 42 ]
No 28%  28%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 58

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 9:58 pm

CelticRose wrote:
Flismflop wrote:
Cotton doesn't really breath. "Breathing" is something that the cotton marketers want you to imagine it does. The truth is that cotton holds on to moisture, which then prevents what little ventilation the cotton ever had from happening. Cotton prevents natural processes from happening and then your body has to work extra-hard to compensate for it. If your cotton clothes had a respiratory system, they would need a scuba tank to keep from drowning when you wore them.

Don't know where you got that from. I have been doing needlework for nearly 30 years, so I am very familiar with the properties of fibers. Also, I live in an area that sees temperatures of 115 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, so it is to my advantage to know which fibers breathe and which don't. Cotton breathes, and here is the Wikipedia article to back me up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton#Properties_of_cotton_fibers

If I wear a lightweight polyester blouse, I will be drenched in sweat. If I wear a cotton sweater, I will stay cooler.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/breathe

I can't see how cotton can be even remotely considered as something that breathes.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 10:24 pm

patternist wrote:
Ana, your new eye-con is awesomely hilarious.

Thanks, Patternist.

CelticRose
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 8:07 am

Flismflop wrote:
CelticRose wrote:
Flismflop wrote:
Cotton doesn't really breath. "Breathing" is something that the cotton marketers want you to imagine it does. The truth is that cotton holds on to moisture, which then prevents what little ventilation the cotton ever had from happening. Cotton prevents natural processes from happening and then your body has to work extra-hard to compensate for it. If your cotton clothes had a respiratory system, they would need a scuba tank to keep from drowning when you wore them.

Don't know where you got that from. I have been doing needlework for nearly 30 years, so I am very familiar with the properties of fibers. Also, I live in an area that sees temperatures of 115 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer, so it is to my advantage to know which fibers breathe and which don't. Cotton breathes, and here is the Wikipedia article to back me up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton#Properties_of_cotton_fibers

If I wear a lightweight polyester blouse, I will be drenched in sweat. If I wear a cotton sweater, I will stay cooler.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/breathe

I can't see how cotton can be even remotely considered as something that breathes.

From your link:

Quote:
8 a: to permit passage of air or vapor <a fabric that breathes>

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. I am appalled to discover that Alex Plank has allied himself with an organization that is dedicated to eliminating autistic people. I no longer wish to have anything to do with Wrong Planet. Delete this account.

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 8:45 am

i always feel clothes on me, i love heavy clothes because i love the weight, growing up i use to walk around in like big puffy winter jackets even during the summer, now i cant take sweat, hate the feeling of sweat on my body

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2008, 9:00 am

after the tags are removed, then i can also feel the weave of the fabric.

i hate fabrics.
they impress on my skin a pattern that i can not ignore.

so i wear fleecy lined tracksuit pants, and fleecy lined tee shirts.
i like the soft and unstructured feel of that.

when i have to wear a suit to go to clients sites, i also wear my fleecy lined clothes underneath my suit.

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Sep 2008, 7:24 pm

I do feel a little uncomfortable, basically one of the things (and I am not sure if this is a 100% Aspie trait) is that I stretch shirts to make sure I don't look too ...weird.

you will jouney from boy to man

Nightrain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2008, 9:11 pm

Usually I don't like anything silky, has to be cotton. I'm not bothered by any particular type of fabric but I did have a sweats outfit that gave me a sensory overload. I stopped freaking out once I changed. (I don't know if this means I have Asperger's or not).
I'm also impossible when shopping for a bra.

wrongchild

09 Sep 2008, 10:36 pm

I never wear jeans ! ! :) It's make me feel uncomfortable.

People always comment that I am a sloppy guy.