Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2008, 9:07 pm

I was initially told by a really arrogant psychologist that I couldn't have Asperger's because I didn't fit the profile, mainly because I'm female and it's "extremely rare in women."

Later, I was fortunate to find a knowledgeable autism expert who works with adults right in my local area and finally got an accurate diagnosis. She, as luck would have it, actually seems to exhibit some mild AS traits herself.

We had a good laugh over that other guy.

Biogeek
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Sep 2008, 4:12 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Once when I was 12 or 13 my mother told me to stare her in the eyes and that if I could do that I wasn't autistic, and if I didn't I was.

I would have failed that test, yet my mother still wouldn't have admitted I could be autistic. :)

I have never been married, have no kids, have had very few friends throughout my life, am asexual, asocial, have poor eye contact, sensory sensitivities, motor clumsiness, extreme difficulty socializing and serial obsessive interests. It's a real "duh" moment when a shrink tells me that, at age forty-something, I'm not AS but have merely failed to develop social skills. If I'm that old, reasonably intelligent and had a hypersocial NT mother who forced me into social situations as a child yet I still don't have social skills, maybe I don't have the neural substrate for intuitive social learning. And what might that mean? DUH!

Soma
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Sep 2008, 10:00 pm

Sounds like my issues.... Autism is not restricted to lining up cars in the corner! How many times must i tell you!! !/rant

Henry David Thoureau, 1854

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 10:41 pm

Sometimes I'm half-tempted to take up lining-up-cars just so people will believe me. But then I don't, because lining up cars is boring.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 10:44 pm

Callista wrote:
Sometimes I'm half-tempted to take up lining-up-cars just so people will believe me. But then I don't, because lining up cars is boring.

My 4 year old son stopped doing that a year ago. But not a bad idea, next time someone is stuck on that silly stereotype, I could always take some of his cars and line them up :)

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2008, 12:38 pm

Callista wrote:

BORING???

Aw, heck no! Your cars must just not be shiny enough. :P

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 3:58 pm

Lining up cars? I'd use to mimick a forecourt OR a car park ... Having fun with how to space them, all facing the same way, etc

zee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 5:11 pm

"People with Asperger's have very distinctive mannerisms"

--she didn't actually say what these were, but it was my opinion that it's not always obvious when someone has AS, and moreover that it manifests itself differently in different people.

bobbob94
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Sep 2008, 5:25 pm

I've been wondering about trying to get a diagnosis, weighing the pros and cons before i do anything in that direction, but this thread is a lot of examples of why it might be a bad idea to try 8O ! its hard to believe how ignorant doctors and other medical professionals can be, but i've noticed that admitting ignorance, even in a particular area they know little about, is not something they ever do. i think i'd respect them a lot more if they did, and trust their opinions more too (not that all doctors are the same of course, i've met good ones and bad ones).

earthmom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 5:36 pm

No_YOU_get_over_it wrote:
What winners have you heard, from doctors or others?

This morning a doctor told me,

"It must be something else, maybe histrionic personality. You can't be autistic - you've had a normal life, you were married!"

So the fact that I got into and stayed in a horrible relationship - apparently typical for ASD women - and don't know how to push through the divorce and come out alive proves to an NT doctor that I don't need help.

Where's the sledge-hammer-through-own-skull smiley? They wonder why we often exhibit self-harming behavior?!

I hear ya.

"You can't be Asperger's - you're too social!"

uh huh.

And I have half a lifetime of very bad decisions and bad situations and very bad things based on being WAY too social and having little or no boundaries.

Whatever people have as a preconceived notion about autism and Asperger's, if you don't fit that, they don't think you're it. They never consider the other very real possibility that their definition is wrong.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 5:59 pm

The real reason why I didn't look my mother in the eyes, and couldn't even when she said it was a test, was because I hated her expression. It was sad and neurotic and ugly and disgusting. Who would want to look at that?

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 7:05 pm

My psychiatrist first said that I couldn't have autism because I talk to well at which is true. Then I found out about aspergers and he agrees that I probably have that.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 7:23 pm

"You have a Master's Degree in English."

"You care what people think of you."

"You have a job you do well."

"You speak well when you're not nervous."

"You just have an anxiety problem."

Mon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2008, 8:09 pm

Ignorant person :"Your daughter doesn't have Aspergers, she's too gorgeous"

Me: "So are you saying that people with Aspergers are ugly?"

Ignorant person: "No, but she's too smart"

Me" "Oh, so now you're saying that people with Aspergers are dumb?"

By that time I walked away and left this pointless conversation. My 4 year old daughter is a diagnosed Aspie, and some people just refuse to believe it because of their ignorance.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 8:27 pm

From my mother upon hearing of my DX 'you cant have aspergers, your not a genius' upon reflection the light came on and she realised that the DX fits perfectly

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 8:32 pm

"because you make eye to eye contact"
"because you can hold an intelligent conversation"
"you don't look autistic"
When I was a kid, there was no doubt that I was autistic. I didn't make eye to eye contact back then and had very little language. Now I am the complete opposite. I talk 24 hours a day. In the old days, I would scream if something was different or moved. If something was normally at a place and it was moved, I would scream. If people got too close to me, I would scream. Now I look and act completely normal except when I'm stressed. Then things happen. I get suicidal, I sometimes cut myself, have panic attacks, and I would either lose my language and start speaking gibberish or disorganized, and other things happen as well. I can't handle major changes now and stress is hard for me to deal with. I act autistic when those things happen.