Does anyone else perceive NTs to talk like this?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2008, 5:16 pm

I gots my owns initiatives see?

For one a-thing I ain't no horler, no sir-ree. I been born and raised in Maine. I don't-s a-knows what I do but it sure as hell works, a-yuh.

---

To me that's how an NT on average communicates. They use vernacular peculiarites that serve to irritate and confuse. Anyone else perceive this phenomenon?

ValMikeSmith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:22 pm

That reminds me of hillbilly or redneck accent I think.

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 6:25 pm

What does being an NT have to do with that? Seems more to do with where you grew up and who you grew up with.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2008, 6:31 pm

Perambulator wrote:

For one a-thing I ain't no horler, no sir-ree. I been born and raised in Maine. I don't-s a-knows what I do but it sure as hell works, a-yuh.

---[

To me that's how an NT on average communicates. They use vernacular peculiarites that serve to irritate and confuse. Anyone else perceive this phenomenon?

No. Most NTs don't talk like that. It sounds hillbilly.

HistoricHomesDR
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Sep 2008, 6:58 pm

To me the first sentence sounds much more Mid-Atlantic urban...just what you'd hear in a mid-century film-noir...or many of my old Philly friends. My wife still says my Philadelphia accent gets much thicker whenever I get mad about something.

I suppose the rest could be backcountry Maine, but I'm not sure...definitely doesn't sound like your typical 'down Maineah' New England-y accent.

Either way, I think they're simply regional dialects, which personally I find fascinating (even if some really aren't pretty or understandable). I think it's a tragedy that modern society seems to be eradicating these...the collegiate/newscaster non-accent certainly isn't very elegant or interesting. If we're going to have one national accent, why make it so milquetoast? Maybe we should all adopt the Coastal Southern accent of Charleston/Savannah...we could perhaps even charm the world back into liking us.

In case you haven't noticed, accents/dialects are one of my special interests. :D

SeaBright
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:10 pm

WAWH. wawh. WAWH. butt scratch. You should..uh..*picks nose*...SOCIALIZE.

NT speaking as percieved by me.

"I'm sorry Katya, my dear, but where we come from, your what's known as a pet; a not quite human novelty. It's why we brought you.... It's nothing to be ashamed of, my dear, but here you are and here you'll sit."

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2008, 7:13 pm

Perambulator wrote:

---

hahahah woah :lol: it worked man! you got everyone confused and I suspect they're quite irritated with this post;) yes i know what you mean. Or I don't?....

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:18 pm

Um.. what?

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:18 pm

Not at all.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:09 pm

Perambulator wrote:

As others said that's a rural southern accent ("redneck" or "Hick" or "Hillbilly"). I feel the same sometimes with how my mom speaks.. :_

Quote:

yes. "Playa Hata" and all that s**t she sometimes yells out when listening to the radio...at least I don't quote chan memes in front of her...

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:19 pm

ValMikeSmith wrote:
That reminds me of hillbilly or redneck accent I think.
Yes, or a portrayal of a black man in 1950s south.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 11:40 pm

That's a regional English accent and dialect. It has absolutely nothing to do with being "NT" or AS.

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:50 am

That is funny. Rednecks? I love the word hill billy.

Anyway, I do notice lots of people talking about other people's business. Like when I walk through a park and there are soccer moms around, I notice many of the conversations using "She..." as if they are talking about other people. I just notice women always talking about other women and their personal lives while not having anything interesting to say. Men are different because they simply don't talk much.
I like talking to men more than women. Except the aspiettes here are pretty cool.

-Pythagoras

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 2:03 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
Yes, or a portrayal of a black man in 1950s south.

no, african-american people don't speak that way. :?