Fascination with Unconventional Relationships?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2008, 8:38 am

Is anyone else completely fascinated by unconventional relationships in books & other media? Sometimes I get so caught up in thinking about the relationship, that I have to stop reading/watching for a while, just to think about it. Other times, I'll go over & over the sections of the book/movie/TV show that feature the relationship - just to lose myself in the beauty of it.

For instance:
Nick & Nora Charles (The Thin Man movies)
Henry & Claire (The Time Traveler's Wife)
Aaron & Jane (Broadcast News)
Enid & Seymour (Ghost World)
Lee & E. Edward (Secretary)

...I hope you get the idea :)

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 9:11 am

I am interested in that topic, too, although rather than fictional characters I like to read about the nontraditional relationships of historical figures. Earlier this year I enjoyed the books "Uncommon Arrangements: Seven Portraits of Married Life in London Literary Circles 1910-1939 " by Katie Roiphe and "Passionate Minds" by David Bodanis (which is about Voltaire and his mistress, the scientists Emilie du Chatelet.)

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2008, 9:26 am

Thanks -I'll have to look into those books. History is one of my passions (once I figured out that, contrary to what they tend to teach in schools, it isn't about events & dates - it's all about people!) :D

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2008, 10:11 am

I don't know any of the people mentioned except for Voltaire and I know nothing about his personal life. What characterizes these unconventional relationships?

I don't want my screen name accessible to the world, but please PM me if you want to talk on AIM or MSN. I'm always up for a good conversation.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2008, 10:26 am

For me, it's relationships that are outside the "norm" of society. Two people who accept each other, unconditionally - even though one or both have major "quirks." It could be an asexual relationship, as in Love Me If You Dare - or two outsiders with a big age difference, as in Ghost World. There are lots of examples, if you look for them.

tomboy4good
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 10:41 am

I guess another example of that would be CBS' Beauty & the Beast. That had a relationship that was very unusual.

Aspie Score: 173/200, NT score 31/200: very likely an Aspie
5/18/11: New Aspie test: 72/72
DX: Anxiety plus ADHD/Aspergers: inconclusive

Ethereal33
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2008, 11:03 am

zeichner wrote:
Is anyone else completely fascinated by unconventional relationships in books & other media? Sometimes I get so caught up in thinking about the relationship, that I have to stop reading/watching for a while, just to think about it. Other times, I'll go over & over the sections of the book/movie/TV show that feature the relationship - just to lose myself in the beauty of it.

For instance:
Nick & Nora Charles (The Thin Man movies)
Henry & Claire (The Time Traveler's Wife)
Aaron & Jane (Broadcast News)
Enid & Seymour (Ghost World)
Lee & E. Edward (Secretary)

...I hope you get the idea :)

Oh God yeah! I've always been extremely fascinated by unconventional relationships. I too was fixated by the relationship between Lee & E.Edward in the film Secretary. I haven't seen the other films you list though.

Another one I really liked was the relationship between Morgan Le Fey and Frick in the film Merlin (the one starring Helena Bonham Carter, Sam Neill and Miranda Richardson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewFxHJJ ... re=related

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 1:08 pm

I love those types of movies too. I only saw the Secretary that was on your list so I'll probably like your other favorites.
Have you read Wuthering Heights? That had some pretty fascinating characters and relationships.

I also think about Gone with the Wind and those characters. Scarlett is an enigmatic character.

-Pythagoras

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 1:12 pm

I love them. I guess it's because I've always been in unconventional relationships themselves. I find human bonding most beautiful when it is incredibly weird :) I will have to look these things up!

carturo222
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 1:47 pm

I enjoyed watching the connection between Jim (the cop) and Claudia (the addict) in the film Magnolia. Their pact to be absolutely open to each other is something I'd love to have with another human being.

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2008, 1:48 pm

Ethereal33 wrote:
...Another one I really liked was the relationship between Morgan Le Fey and Frick in the film Merlin (the one starring Helena Bonham Carter, Sam Neill and Miranda Richardson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewFxHJJ ... re=related

Yes, I've seen that - I do remember thinking that Morgan Le Fey & Frick had a very interesting dynamic between them.

Magnus wrote:
...Have you read Wuthering Heights? That had some pretty fascinating characters and relationships.

I also think about Gone with the Wind and those characters. Scarlett is an enigmatic character.

I've seen the movies, but not yet read the books - something I really should do, as I suspect both stories are marvelously deep & full of nuance (very much the kind of thing I like to read.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_Traveler%27s_Wife - The Time Traveler's Wife is a book, if anyone is looking for it. Henry first meets Claire when she is 20 & he is 28 (she has already known him for most of her life.) Claire first meets Henry when she is 6 & he is in his 30s. Some of the story is told from Claire's point of view & some is told from Henry's point of view. It's one of my all-time favorite novels - but it can be hard to follow, until you get into the rhythm (I had to go back and re-read the first few chapters, once I had figured out what was going on.)

I'm really glad to hear from so many fans of the off-beat relationship! :heart: :heart:

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Sep 2008, 1:52 pm

carturo222 wrote:
I enjoyed watching the connection between Jim (the cop) and Claudia (the addict) in the film Magnolia. Their pact to be absolutely open to each other is something I'd love to have with another human being.

Hmmm - I'll really have to watch that film again. It was a pretty emotional experience for me the first time, but I think time has created enough distance for me to try again (great film, but it took a lot out of me!)

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2008, 2:06 pm

Magnolia is a fantastic film. I'm going to have to check out The Time Traveler's Wife at some point. Sounds fascinating. I love stories with a twist like that, provided they are well-done.

I don't want my screen name accessible to the world, but please PM me if you want to talk on AIM or MSN. I'm always up for a good conversation.

Ryn
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2008, 12:06 am

Wow, did you just take this from my mind? I completely love unconventional relationships, though my main interests is reading about painful and rocky ones. Reading this thread made me so excigted I flapped. :D

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:12 am

i am in an unconventional relationship...it can be quite rough.... :?

zeichner
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Sep 2008, 12:20 am

Ryn wrote:
... my main interests is reading about painful and rocky ones...

Do you enjoy the music of Fiona Apple? I've always felt as though all her songs are about dysfunctional relationships - much more interesting than the standard "love song" - which is why I love listening to her so much!