Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 6:32 am

Anyone else vary between fast (or normal) word recognition and no word recognition?

I recognise and read words seemingly faster than the average person. When I scan a page of for example a brochure, nobody can look at it together with me because they claim they can't look as fast. I take it this is connected processing speed maybe?

On the downside I sometimes see words and do not recognise them as a language that I know. I see the letters and distinct words, but I don't recognise them.

Dasha
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Sep 2008, 6:37 am

could be something else - like being tired, having other things on your mind, feeling ill, etc

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 6:41 am

WOW, TRY SLOWING DOWN! I can read VERY fast, but my comprehension drops unless I go about half that, which is STILL very fast. I mean how fast are you going? Like a page a second!? To read a whole book like that, without simply scanning, could put you in the GBWR! WOW, Harry potter in like 10 minutes! :lol: And would it kill you if it took an hour? 8O

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 6:54 am

Sora it's pretty much the same with me. I could read a whole book on a subject during a single lecture (90 mins) if I thought that the lecturer wasn't doing a very good job explaining.

sometimes I look at words and it takes me some time to understand what's written, that happens a lot when I read restaurant menus for some reason... maybe it's because I don't like when there's too much choice and my mind just gets dizzy...

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 8:36 am

Restaurants are also chaotic. I often can't read anything at all in them.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 9:02 am

I am the same way as far as reading fast. I always have been that way in fact.. if someone else is reading with me and I am ready to turn the page they always say "wait I am not done yet". As far as reading words that you don't recognize.. I am like that if I am extremely tired or something.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 9:37 am

That's the thing; I'm neither tired nor distracted, it happens nonetheless then.