Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 1:17 am

I had a wierd hallucination last night i whas in bed and fell in some sort of strange sleep-a-like thing and i saw suddenly some blak thing coming to me...
i said "what are you doing (brothers name)" sinds whe sleep on the same room and he sleeps above me (according to bable fish its calld battery bed)
anyway i have lots of flatulence problems sinds i quit eating my gluten anyway i felt scared and whasnt conscience whasnt able to think anyway this never happend before and i would like to keep it like that :(
can someone says why i got that acctualy?

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 1:23 am

You don't usually write like this. Do you have seizures? Have you been drinking or are you sleepy? I notice a lot of grammatical errors.
Did this happen at around 3:30am? That is about the time our brains go into overdrive and produce DMT which causes hallucinations and there is a lot of mystery surrounding the pineal gland and how it relates to dreaming.

-Pythagoras

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 1:35 am

it whas at 12.00 a clock at night
dont got any seizure atleast if thats what i think it is and im acctualy sure it has something to do with my glutenfree sinds i whas sleepy all the time (and i usualy cant sleep at all till a late hour at night) im lucky the hallucination whasnt to long luckely for like 10 seconds i wake up of my brothers talking,i know ive made alot of grammatic errors dont ask me why maybe im low at thinking right now
and it really whas like a dream only it whasnt but it felt like it (but if you look it from the good side im finely able to sleep 8) )

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 3:03 am

Don't worry, it's just a hypnogogic hallucination. I get them all the time, usually a black form that hovers above my bed and stares down at me. What happens is that your body and brain are in the transition between wakefulness and sleep, producing often disturbing waking dreams.
The likelihood of getting them will go down if you sleep regularly, reduce your stress levels and sleep on your side. Or at least that's what my doctor told me.

Health-cares.net wrote:
"Hypnagogic hallucination is episodes of seeing and hearing things as one is falling asleep. These dreams can be frightening and can often cause a sudden jerk and arousal just before sleep onset...they are usually quite vivid, and often involve vision. The visual hallucinations usually consist of simple forms – colored circles or parts of objects – that are constant or changing in size. People may also see the image of an animal or a person, and are more often in color. Auditory hallucinations are also common, but other senses are seldom involved. Hypnagogic hallucinations are dreams that intrude on wakefulness, which can cause visual, auditory, or touchable sensations. They occur between waking and sleeping, usually at the onset of sleep."

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 3:03 am

Hallucination upon waking is pretty common. It's related to dreaming and usually happens in the morning, but it could happen in the middle of the night. You also could have been awoken by a seizure that might cause the hallucination. It's not uncommon for people to have seizures only when sleeping, and it can cause this to happen. Some people will wake up and become fully lucid but continue dreaming for a while, seeing dream images that appear to exist in the real world. It can be quite upsetting.

Also, it's called a bunk bed. :)

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 3:14 am

I agree with Aurore. It sounds like a hypnagogic hallucination. Nothing to worry about- they're perfectly normal.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 10:35 am

the strange thing is it happend when i after years of almost cant sleep it happens now that i fall asleep very easly (with the glutenfree i think)

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 10:42 am

This is being discussed in the other thread funny enough. You could have experienced sleep paralysis and the hag attack, pretty frightening.. but don't worry its a quick thing (even though at the time it doesn't feel like it).

Magnus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 12:16 pm

Sleep paralysis? What exactly causes that? Isn't that when people tend to think they are being visited by aliens?
Those alien abduction stories are fascinating.
Funny that your name is UndercoverAlien.

-Pythagoras

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 1:04 pm

Magnus wrote:
Sleep paralysis? What exactly causes that?

Basically sleep paralysis is a normal part of the sleep cycle. When you go unconscious your motor functions shut down to prevent you from flailing about and hurting yourself while dreaming.

Sometimes because of a variety of reasons when you wake up it doesn't reengage your motor functions immediately and you find yourself unable to move and often hallucinate for a short time.

And yes its thought that alien visitations are the most common hallucination because of the power of suggestion (IE you hear of abductions where you cant move and figures are looming over you and you see pictures of them so when it happens your confused brain fills in the gaps with hallucinations about stuff from popular culture).

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 1:12 pm

ow but i had it at night strange :P
anyway its a strange feeling aarg it felt so real lol

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 2:00 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:
ow but i had it at night strange :P
anyway its a strange feeling aarg it felt so real lol

Actually, hypnagogic hallucinations (as you are falling asleep) are more common than hypopompic hallucinations (as you are waking up), so it is perfectly normal for this to happen at night.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 2:08 pm

I get sleep paralysis a lot.

it used to scare the s**t out of me. later I discovered that if I manage to remind myself that it is not real, but a dream, I go all like "whoa, I'm dreaming, let's explore this environment a bit!" and I start looking at the things and the way they look. funnily enough, even tho it is my room, the details are different, like the furniture is different or the painting is not in the right place. then I find myself so absorbed in exploring the dream reality that it very quickly dissolves and I wake up.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 2:46 pm

anna-banana wrote:

it used to scare the sh** out of me. later I discovered that if I manage to remind myself that it is not real, but a dream, I go all like "whoa, I'm dreaming, let's explore this environment a bit!" and I start looking at the things and the way they look. funnily enough, even tho it is my room, the details are different, like the furniture is different or the painting is not in the right place. then I find myself so absorbed in exploring the dream reality that it very quickly dissolves and I wake up.

strange i coulnd move and whas not long

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 3:25 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:

Hypnagogic hallucinations don't necessarily involve sleep paralysis- mine never do. Also, the experience is often very brief. It really is very normal- try not to worry about it.

I do realize it can be very freaky the first time though- I was afraid I was developing schizophrenia, and I made sure to research whether there was a connection between hynagogic hallucinations and schizophrenia (there isn't).

Now I welcome them, as they are a sign that I am about to fall asleep (I frequently get them on nights when I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep).

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2008, 3:34 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

it used to scare the sh** out of me. later I discovered that if I manage to remind myself that it is not real, but a dream, I go all like "whoa, I'm dreaming, let's explore this environment a bit!" and I start looking at the things and the way they look. funnily enough, even tho it is my room, the details are different, like the furniture is different or the painting is not in the right place. then I find myself so absorbed in exploring the dream reality that it very quickly dissolves and I wake up.

Then you may have experienced sleep paralysis. Sure sounds like it anyway. Hey when I am falling asleep sometimes I find myself having a conversation with "someone" like its weird and they usually end up telling me some interesting stuff. But if I suddenly become fully conscious everything that I was told by this "being" is lost. Anyone experience that too?