My Asperger's diagnosis has just been revoked.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Trident_infinity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Sep 2008, 12:01 pm

I'm a 16 year old guy from London, who was misdiagnosed with AS when I was a kid, and finally after going to a clinic and taking several psychometric tests, questionnaires, and a one-to-one interview with a consultant psychiatrist - with his clinical team watching me through CCTV cameras - my asperger's diagnosis I received as a kid was removed. Instead I've got paranoid depression, and possibly ADD, although this hasn't yet been confirmed.

The interview that was recorded and taped was the one where I had to pick up a picture book, read it to him, explain how I'd clean my teeth, take random objects and use them to form a narrative and a story, and tell him about my problems.

I've got to tell ya' it feels great to be neurotypical again, and not be patronized by dumbass GPs who don't even know me.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 12:03 pm

your not nt sinds your calld possibly add

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 12:24 pm

If you didn't feel the label fit then I am happy for you that you won't have to carry it. But something you said concerns me, about being patronized for being AS? That shouldn't be the case, and if it is, the label isn't the issue. The people misunderstanding the label are the issue. I am a little saddened by the way you present the label as such a horrible thing, when I really do not think it is. AS is a condition that comes with burdens, yes, but also gifts. I hope that your desire to be without that label won't mean that you now intend to become patronizing to those who continue to be characterized by it.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 12:27 pm

Congrats my Son, you have been reborn

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2008, 12:30 pm

That's a good point - that even if the AS label really had fit you, that it still would've been wrong for people to patronize you.

Even though I'm pretty obviously autistic, there is one thing I've always felt odd about - that I have no difficulty whatever in reading facial expression and tone of voice and such, and have had this ability from a very young age, so it's not like I used intellect to self-teach myself as many aspies have; it's instinctual for me.

However, I very rarely produce typical body language (difficulty controlling tone and volume of voice, as well as facial expressions) even when ignoring the rocking and odd posture, and have difficulty understanding some of the more complex social rules. And everyone talks about how we can't read body language, and yet here I can read body language and have several close friends? I thought "how could I be autistic?" But everything taken together it's pretty clear I am.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

psmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Sep 2008, 12:46 pm

We will mourn the loss of an aspie in our ranks.

ProtossX
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2008, 12:48 pm

LOL the ob-wan picture jedi mind trick

/YOU DO NOT Have asperger's anymore

/these are not the droids you are lookin for

/MOVE ALONG

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 1:16 pm

Well if you are happy that's good. At least you went for the full psychometric testing.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 2:05 pm

which hospital was this out of interest?

I wonder about the CCTV. Also were you sectioned or did you go there by you own?

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 3:12 pm

I'm glad you're so happy about the revoked diagnosis. Though you are still welcome here. : )

Trident_infinity

13 Sep 2008, 4:33 pm

Quote:
which hospital was this out of interest?

It was the autism and related disorders department at Maudsley Hospital in South London, though I live in North East London - right next to murder mile and frampton part estate in Hackney, where the most of the knifings and shootings take place in London.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maudsley_Hospital

I went there with my parents because they were needed for questioning as well, though it's not helpful that they used 2 way mirrors and other forms of surveillance, since I already have paranoid tendencies :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychotic_depression

I'm glad you're so happy about the revoked diagnosis. Though you are still welcome here.

Thanks a lot you guys are great, I know few neurotypicals around me who are as smart as you.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 4:37 pm

Trident_infinity wrote:
It was the autism and related disorders department at Maudsley Hospital in South London

Yes I went there quite recently. Was it the behavioural genetics clinic part of the autism related disorders, etc? I might pm you. I would not be happy if they had used CCTV as part of my diagnosis without telling me.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 4:44 pm

Trident_infinity wrote:
I went there with my parents because they were needed for questioning as well, though it's not helpful that they used 2 way mirrors and other forms of surveillance, since I already have paranoid tendencies :wink:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychotic_depression

I have that too. It's my other official diagnosis! :lol:

zee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 4:59 pm

Keep in mind that Asperger's and similar disorders can not be definitavely diagnosed, meaning it is the doctors' opinion that you do or don't have it, unlike diseases like cancer, etc.
I would concentrate less on the label itself, whether AS or PD, and more on how your life is affected by the symptoms.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 8:32 pm

Do you feel that the new DX fits you better? If so that is great and I hope that the new awareness that comes with it really helps. Good luck

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2008, 8:39 pm

Have a good time on the other side. I hope your tour through autism wasn't all bad.

Hope everything gets sorted out.