Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 8:46 pm

I think that my tastebuds are more sensitive than most people's due to my being aspie.

There are only a few brands of chocolate that I will eat (well, of the brands that are available here): Dove dark, Ghiradelli, and Lindt. Most of the organic brands foung in health food stores are excellent as well. Hershey's tastes like...dirt. Nestle? Strong artificial vanilla flavor, no real chocolate taste at all. Hershey's special dark- cardboard. Yesterday a coworker steered me towards Toblerone with the assurance that I would ditch Dove for it...yech! I don't like it. Moreover, this may sound bizarre, but the small Dove chocolate bites wrapped in foil taste much better than the bars do. I have no idea why this is, and I do think it is more than the nasty hard edges created where the bar breaks. :?

Margerine: people eat this? Why? It leaves a greasy nasty coating in the mouth and tastes nothing like butter.

A lot of prepared or convenience food is SOOO salty that it leaves a stinging burning sensation in my mouth. It would be better with about half as much salt in it.

Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream was better before they started adding coconut oil to it. The taste is more pronounced for some flavors than for others.

Regular commercial bananas taste like bleach or chemicals. Organic bananas do not. Why in the heck do the regular ones taste so bad?

Eggs: storebought eggs both smell and taste nasty to me. Farm eggs do not, assuming they are fresh. And I don't care how many chicken eggs you use, I can tell if there is even one duck egg in a batch of scrambled eggs or pancakes!

Milk/cheese: I can often smell or taste the cows or the dairy smell, the scent of the disinfectant. And I can always tell cow, goat, and sheep's milk or cheese apart, whether or not other people can, and whether the milk is fresh.

Meat: a lot of meat smells nasty to me. It is hard for me to eat meat due to the taste. I can tell if there is pork in it, even just as a flavoring.

The list goes on and on....at work last Thanksgiving, we sampled out a pie in the bakery. Someone said it tasted faintly odd. I tried it. The milk was wrong/lacking/weak and I said so. They looked surprised. We read the label: there was no milk at all, only whey! (ick).

Is anyone else here this way?

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 8:55 pm

Yes, very much. I can not only tell the difference between tap water and bottled water (I guess that's not too uncommon), but I can tell you WHICH tap in the house the water was drawn from, and with bottled water, I can tell you what brand it is without knowing (if it's poured into a glass, for instance). I can also tell from the taste of icecubes how long they've been at room temperature, and with tap water, how long it has stood in a glass.

And similar issues with other foods. I can't eat or drink anything that has artificial colors of flavors because the taste is repugnant.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 9:35 pm

American Hersheys tastes like arse.

hersheys here is MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 9:59 pm

There's only one brand of chocolate I really like - M&M's

All the other brands I've had just don't taste right.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 10:24 pm

I am a food..... eater.

With the exception of coffee, i will eat absolutely anything you put on my plate. Toasted snail penises? Garlic please.

mikibacsi1124
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2005, 10:33 pm

I am hardly a food snob. If anything, I am an anti-food snob, or a food anti-snob, or something like that. Practically everything I eat is fast food, junk food, or something else that food snobs would turn their noses up at. That said, there are certain foods that I just can't stand.

TheOrangeMage
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2005, 10:34 pm

I love food. Anything from McDonalds to the crazy stuff they make on Iron Chef, I love it all! :D

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

13 Nov 2005, 10:41 pm

First off, Hershey's is not chocolate.

As far as I'm concerned, if it has less chocolate than sugar, it's sugar.
And while I'll eat sugar, I won't pay for it.

Hershey's is the prime example of this, as it's almost pure sugar.

I eat milk chocolate darker than the average American chocolate, and happily eat (indeed seek out) certain brands of unsweetened chocolate (actually, I'll even eat Baker's unsweetened which tastes terrible, but it is undeniably chocolate, albeit of the lowest grade).

I also have a low opinion of any chocolate where the company does not tell what strain the beans are. (Only like Criollos and Trinadadaros, even the Ecuadorian Arriba chocolate I consider mediocre (It needs that bite lacking in the inferior Forastero strain).

I'm very selective about my chocolate taste and the Godiva phenomenon (mediocre chocolate with fancy shapes and flavors) drives me crazy.

If it can't stand on its own, its not worth paying more for.

I generally prefer Cluizel origin chocolates, (there are a couple of other good brands, but they're either one country specialties or $7 a 2 oz bar Italian companies).

Schaffenberger is great, but expensive. It's the only mixed-origin chocolate I love.

There are a number of South American/South American specialty chocolates from Venezuela, Columbia, or Ecuador (and rarely Peru), that I like.

Lindt is cheap and quite good, if not on the same scale as some of the higher brands.

After that there are a lot of Belgian and American companies with varying degrees of quality.

Then we get to the European Mass Market "chocolates." Very sweet, but decent grade chocolate usually. (Though Tobblerone is part of the Godiva phenomenon)

Finally we get the the American mass market "chocolate."

M&M Mars(Dove) & Ghiridelli top the list though they're still on the bottom overall, they at least preserve a high cocoa buter content.

The stuff Hershey uses in Resse's and York come next.

About here comes the stuff we got in China that had lots of wax added to it.

Hershey itself and American Nestle come out at the bottom.

"The difference between genius and idiocy is that genius has limits." -Albert Einstein

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 12:03 am

Nomaken wrote:
I am a food..... eater.

With the exception of coffee, i will eat absolutely anything you put on my plate. Toasted snail penises? Garlic please.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 12:19 am

I wont eat steak with fat in it.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 5:18 pm

chamoisee wrote:
I think that my tastebuds are more sensitive than most people's due to my being aspie.

There are only a few brands of chocolate that I will eat (well, of the brands that are available here): Dove dark, Ghiradelli, and Lindt. Most of the organic brands foung in health food stores are excellent as well. Hershey's tastes like...dirt. Nestle? Strong artificial vanilla flavor, no real chocolate taste at all. Hershey's special dark- cardboard. Yesterday a coworker steered me towards Toblerone with the assurance that I would ditch Dove for it...yech! I don't like it. Moreover, this may sound bizarre, but the small Dove chocolate bites wrapped in foil taste much better than the bars do. I have no idea why this is, and I do think it is more than the nasty hard edges created where the bar breaks. :?

I think that most European chocolate is better than the stuff that we get here. My favorite brand is Perugina, from Italy. I prefer the bars in the grey wrapper, which is bittersweet dark chocolate.

If you have access to a British or Irish specialty shop anywhere near you, you may want to stop in for the selection of Chocolate. KitKat bars from the UK, (where they originated) are MUCH better than the ones sold here. Also, Terry's Orange Chocolates are one of my favorites as well.

Other then that, I'll eat almost anything, except for Seafood.

alex
Developer
Developer

14 Nov 2005, 5:28 pm

chamoisee wrote:
Margerine: people eat this? Why? It leaves a greasy nasty coating in the mouth and tastes nothing like butter.

Eating butter leads to clogged arteries and heart disease. Margarine is better. Butter tastes nasty... its so fattening.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 5:33 pm

Nomaken wrote:
I am a food..... eater.

ridgerider
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2005, 6:19 pm

Margerine is practically poison, transfats to the max. Butter is much healthier. So many studies. I obsessed on this for a while. Vegetable oil industry is maybe worse than tobacco in terms of bad health effects and the Margarine is Healthier than Butter is a hoax that has made a few rich and many dead. Please don't cite the cholesterol myth.

Too much of any fat is bad, but small amounts of butter are beneficial . Olive oil is good.

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2005, 7:26 pm

How can you tell its fattening? And I hate breakfast food.

Quintucket
Toucan
Toucan

14 Nov 2005, 8:22 pm

One thing that I should note.
Taste likely does not have to do with AS directly.

About one in four people are supertasters, it would likely be about the same among people with AS.

Oh, as for food appearences, I won't eat anything smashed, mashed, minced, pureed, floating in water, or otherwise identifiable (except applesauce occasionally, as I've eated that since a litte kid). Pretty much if I can't recognize it, I won't eat it. No soups, stews, fricassees, nor purees.

ridgerider wrote:
Olive oil is good.

I've heard this before.
This'd better be true or I've likely clogged my arteries of olive oil already (probably is true, but not with how much I eat{almost a tablespoon of this particular fat alone}, quantity, as always, the key).

"The difference between genius and idiocy is that genius has limits." -Albert Einstein