My Asperger Coming Out Video on YouTube

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 8:47 pm

I just posted a video on YouTube describing a little bit about myself and Asperger's Syndrome. Rather than simply taking the usual approach with a personal testimony, I tried to do something a little different and give it sort of an upbeat feel to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZOVwKQ6wQ

Enjoy my video :)

prillix
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2008, 8:54 pm

It seems like nothing more then an "Hi Im New" topic mixed in with a bunch of screensavers.

Nice try

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2008, 10:20 pm

Too many random irrelevant screen savers. It's a decent enough message to put out, but there's nothing about it being a video that enhances the message.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:16 am

I simply like those screensavers as well as my lava lamp. The page with text was an HTML page. Many people connect Asperger's with "computer geeks".

Yes, I know it's basically "a lot of flash but little substance". But I was more looking for a catchy gimmick with a short introduction than a heavy duty testimony.

The background music was the theme song from Lonely Planet and I liked it so much I copied it to my computer. From my perspective it just sort of fits in with the pulsating screensavers.

At least at this point in time 34 hits in 3 hours is very good in comparison to my other videos. I'm taking a guess that it will get a lot of hits in the short run until the novelty wears off.

ZakFiend
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:28 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
I just posted a video on YouTube describing a little bit about myself and Asperger's Syndrome. Rather than simply taking the usual approach with a personal testimony, I tried to do something a little different and give it sort of an upbeat feel to it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZOVwKQ6wQ

Enjoy my video :)

Well a "coming out" suggests a little bit more then an introduction... for god sakes man! :P

release_the_bats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 10:06 am

It looks like a Power Point presentation with some screen savers thrown in. Did you consider explaining that you really like screen savers because people with AS have "intense, narrow interests" that may seem peculiar to other people?

I also think that the video would benefit from the addition of more pictures. If you're not comfortable including a picture of yourself, maybe try taking pictures that represent your life, the way you experience it - things in your every day life that catch your eye.

For instance, I've noticed that most people, if asked to represent their day-to-day life in pictures, will depict things like their house, their car, their family, their pets, their living room, etc., whereas aspies often focus on details like the pattern in the fence around their backyard, or a street sign they find interesting, etc. Maybe those aren't the best examples.

I'm just saying that we think a bit differently, and it is possible to express this in pictures.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 2:21 pm

how does it feel to be out of the closet!

aspiartist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 2:42 pm

Awesome! No matter what anyone says.

I'm more on the creative side, but was still that "Little Professor" type as a child.