Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 11:46 am

NextFact wrote:
hi i just started Celexa recently for depression & anxiety im on 10mg right now then going up to 20 in a few days and im curious to know what the pros & cons of this medication are and maybe even your own personal experiences, so far i dont really feel much different and i just took my 3rd pill.

Only SSRI that had a positive effect; one very similar, Lexapro, gave me heart palpitations. Celexa was mild, minor side effects, and did a decent job of giving me a moment to breathe and think before responding to something.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Mindovermatter
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Sep 2008, 6:45 pm

wow. celexia seems like a wonderdrug in the aspie crowd. I heard all the goods come on people out with the bad, every drug has side effects what are the side effects. Of course I can look them up but getting input from someone who has similiar conditions to me thats taken it already would be cool. So its like a stimulant eh? Stimulants seem to be the trick for me however I never tried any antidepressants/anxiety pills. theres a whole lot of negative effects on stimulants.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 7:29 pm

Not a wonder drug for me; it didn't really maintain efficacy over time... and all the other SSRI's were catastrophic failures.

M.

1Oryx2
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2008, 10:01 pm

I'm on it right now XD. They upgraded me from my old drugs which I was on for...let's see...nine years or so. I was put on Celexa and I gotta say, I'm not missing some of the side affects of the old stuff.

If I didn't take my pills within the same time frame each day I felt the withdrawl. I had to mesure out how much I ate with my pills to avoid sever verdigo and stomach pains.

I've heard some bad stuff about Celexa too, though, but to be honest I've been on this stuff since I was 9 -it's just seciond nature by now.

NextFact
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2008, 9:04 pm

my doctor has discontinued me on celexa due to a allergic reaction in my throat, i feel pretty dissapointed.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 3:11 am

I took Celexa for a while but asked to be taken off of it. I just felt drugged up while on it. It made me feel sick.

I now take Paxil.

CGstucknthe80s
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2008, 6:59 pm

I've been on Celexia for a year. It took a while, but it finally helped with my depression problem, so I'm satisfied.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2009, 8:42 pm

I know this is an older thread, but very relevant to me.

Was recently asked by my doctor to try going back on Celexa; after the first three days, was having such intense mood fluctuations, insomnia, physiological effects, and psychological distress that I had to stop taking it immediately. Even days later, I am still experiencing these effects (diminishing, thankfully) despite the short duration of the attempt. This only reaffirms my belief that SSRIs are -not- the ideal course of therapy for me, and not necessarily appropriate for those on the spectrum unless the depression is independently manifest.

M.

dooneybourkegrl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2009, 11:54 pm

Currently I'm taking Celexa, 40 mg. I've been on it since summer of '08. I like this drug the best out of all the others that I've been on for my severe depression/anxiety/ocd. I don't recall any side effects from taking this. Maybe I just got lucky, since I've been on so many others in my lifetime?

I've been on the following (recent to old):
Lexapro (worked, but not long enough, since my depression worsened fast)
Prozac (the worst, almost killed myself while on this)
Zoloft (not good for me)
Luvox (didn't do anything for my ocd and everyone thought this was "why" I was cutting myself)
Paxil
Wellbutrin (allergic)
Tegretol (allergic)

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 6:42 am

I was on Celexa for perhaps a month, but it kept giving me a fast heart rate and felt like a near panic attack. That was pretty common for all the serotonin targeted meds i tried. Im on a dopamine targeted one now and its been great not having those previous side effects.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2009, 8:19 am

No, but I've been on Paxil.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

subliculous
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2010, 6:29 pm

i've just gone on Celexa. i'm 41 and have gone all this time with no meds. this is my third day. the first two days i felt a little more levelheaded and more "chatty". today i have felt generally crappy and worn out with a strange desire to just fall down on the spot and go incontinent. as far as side effects, i only get a wave of nausea about two hours after taking it, and once again as i get home from work. and diarrhea, which is really nothing new for me. not sure if that's from the meds, though. i have been taking half an ativan before bed to alleviate anxiety-related night sweats - i hope celexa helps with that so i can kill the ativan use.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 6:55 pm

Celexa (citalopram) works well for me at 5mg daily dose taken in the morning.

Any higher dose and I get terrible side effects. I have increased sociability and speediness on a higher dose and increased faux-pas's and problems with people because the AS is still there and the high dose does not get rid of it, but simply churns me up like a wind up doll so I zoom around in a state of hideous hypomanic idiocy without the social skills to adequately cope with the increased contact. It's a messy experience. very messy. And i hated it.

I was on a dose of 10 and then 15 mg a day for years and it was too much for me because of my sensitivities to things. I am one of those ASD people who needs LESS of SSRI's and not more.
It is regrettable most doctors are not aware of this issue with many on the spectrum. They keep jacking up SSRI doses for many who actually would do better on less. GP's can assume the treatment of anxiety and depression in ASD people requires exactly the same approach as that of the normal population and my personal experience is this is not the case.
I know on WP I often press home this point and repeat it. But it seems like an important one. it was temple grandin's write-up on SSRI's that led me to this approach of a lower dose for some ASD peoples(and not higher as suggested by doctors,)and it has worked so well for me it is the best I have ever been.

I was on Lexapro also for a time. It is the flipside (mirrored molecule) of Celexa. It did not suit me at all. I became sluggish and lethargic, I ate more and slept far too much. A hideous experience.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 7:00 pm

NextFact wrote:
aspiemom1 wrote:
these meds do not "start working immediately" they take typically 2-4 weeks to get enough into your system to actually make a difference for the anxiety/depression.

why is that?
An SSRI prompts the brain to adjust its synapses to the different amount of serotonin in the synapse... the adjustments take a while.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2010, 9:26 pm

I take 5 mg of Celexa daily and find it to be a wonder drug...I can focus more when socializing and my obsessive tendencies have faded. I was on Lexapro and another SSRI before and neither of them had the same effects. But of course, different drugs work well with different people, and you have to find the one that's most suited for you.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.