Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

wrongchild
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Sep 2008, 12:04 pm

What's the definition of " intense interest " ?

The intense interest mean few topics ( train , plane) or areas ( dinosaur, history) ?

1.When I was a child I fascinated by animals and dinosaur. I could remember every details
about animals, however my doctor supposed that if I have asperger syndrome, my interests
must be very intense (only love one kind of animal, not areas). He told me he has a patient
who always draws everything about train.

2.I remember when I was about 9 years old I draw Snoopy everyday. I gave them deferent looks, such like playing soccer, eating , fishing...etc. But I didn't always focus on one topic, I chose deferent topics to draw randomly. My favorite is dogs.

By the way, do you think everyone with asperger syndrome all lack of imagination?

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:53 pm

An intense interest means you spend all day doing it. It also means that your interests are narrow or limited. I play video games which is very general but I tend to focus intensly on one game. Sometimes I focus on a smaller part of the game besides actual gameplay. Like in Halo 3, I was obsessed with the ranking system. Then it was the programming behind Halo 3. Now I'm collecting all 120 stars on Super Mario Galaxy.

No, I don't think all people with AS lack imagination. I have a vivid imagination and so does my cousin who also has AS. But my imagination is impaired. I can't imagine what it would be like to be someone else (empathy).

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 1:09 pm

my imagination is so vivid that it often scares me.

wrongchild

15 Sep 2008, 5:05 pm

In each summer vacations, I spent 15 hours per day to draw my comic stories. I draw almost
90 pages of each story and I ONLY show my comic to my sister. So I could say that "drawing comic occupied my life".

However my doctor supposed that it is a CREATIVE activity and ,in addition, I didn't draw the same topic . He always try to hint me that someone have asperger syndrome are all "LACK OF IMAGINATION "so that their works are boring. I knew
I had strong desire to draw comic but it seems an area, not a topic.

Yes , months ago I played online tennis game all the day, in addition I had played
Age of Empires for years and I only play with computer. :(

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Sep 2008, 12:06 am

I've always cared more about the appearance of my toys than "playing with them."

I used to spend hours setting up elaborate scenarios, imaginign the plot in my head as I did, all to have one big battle that lasted a couple minutes.

That's an interesting distinction between Asperger's and "having a hobby."

Like, I read *certain* comic books, sometimes. I'm not a "comic book person" (OTOH, someone who collects any and all comic books and knows everything about them is very likely Aspie), but I have a few I follow intensely. I am deeply interested in the whole super hero mythos and keeping general tabs on what's going on.

I am obsessed with the work of Andrew Lloyd Webber ,but when I try to get interested in other musicals, for the most part, I can't.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 3:02 am

From the friendly DSM-IV-TR:

Quote:
... primarily manifest in the development of encompassing preoccupations about a circumscribed topic or interest, about which the individual can amass a great deal of facts and information (Criterion B1). These interests and activities are pursued with great intensity often to the exclusion of other activities.

Quote:
... and the preoccupations are all-encompassing and interfere with the acquisition of basic skills.

Imaginative play isn't affected in Asperger's as it's defined, except for "social imagination". People with Autism tend to lack imaginative play, with toys and pretending to be things ("cops and robbers"); this can improve as the child ages, however (it usually does improve).

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Sep 2008, 3:31 am

Intense interest means I spend all my time doing it regardless of outcome. For example I'm intensely interested in art and music even though I have very little positive feedback from others for what I post online. I read on Wiki that intense interest is a trademark characteristic of those with AS, and even when I know this I still can't stop. It's like something I HAVE to do, and I'll probably keep doing it until they day I die.

The former things have passed away."

wrongchild

16 Sep 2008, 6:15 am

kxmode wrote:
I'm intensely interested in art and music even though I have very little positive feedback from others for what I post online. I read on Wiki that intense interest is a trademark characteristic of those with AS, and even when I know this I still can't stop. It's like something I HAVE to do, and I'll probably keep doing it until they day I die.

I love art and use them as a "refined language". I can't image how my life will be without art. It's good to immerse myself in the wonderful world because art always relieves my intention from school, and "it" is also a good friend to accompany.

Smitch
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Sep 2008, 6:55 am

My interests jump and skip and often cycle back. For instance, I'm always interested in science fiction, and also in fantasy. I read books constantly (no matter how bad they are), but I will cycle through reading just fantasy, or just science fiction. Most of my interests are like that. I dedicate ALL my spare time (food and sleep are optional ^.^) to whatever I am interested in at the time, right up until it no longer interests me. Then I move on to the next thing. But my interest in a subject is fairly broad, but yet limited at the same time. Such as I recently learnt how to read music, and all the fingering on a flute, but damned if I can be bothered to actually *play* it. Technically I could. But I have no interest in doing so even though I know *how*. I also have little idea as to why I got interested in it in the first place. Though, it did coencide with another cycle through listening to alot of classical music again.

I also have a fantastic imagination...but I can't imagine how someone might feel about something though without thinking it through first. Have enough problems figuring out how *I* feel.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Sep 2008, 1:44 pm

wrongchild wrote:
kxmode wrote:
I'm intensely interested in art and music even though I have very little positive feedback from others for what I post online. I read on Wiki that intense interest is a trademark characteristic of those with AS, and even when I know this I still can't stop. It's like something I HAVE to do, and I'll probably keep doing it until they day I die.

I love art and use them as a "refined language". I can't image how my life will be without art. It's good to immerse myself in the wonderful world because art always relieves my intention from school, and "it" is also a good friend to accompany.

I couldn't agree more. I actually find the creation process more rewarding than the end product.

The former things have passed away."