Forties, fifties 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Old age 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Other --------------------------------- 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 98

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:03 pm

In what life period is living with AS the biggest challenge?

JohnHopkins
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:07 pm

As an estimate, I'd say adolescence. As a kid you have parents to cater for you and don't remember a lot of it. After adolescence, you get more and more independent and able to control your own routines and how much interpersonal interaction you have to have. During adolescence, you're dependent on your parents, while being self-aware enough to know you're different and remembering both good and bad forever.

PilotPirx
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2008, 12:08 pm

For me it was as a teen. Teens are not very understanding and I was troubling myself about the question, what's going on with me (in the 80s, when Asperger wasn't known to me)
Plus all the trouble with girls.

Later things got better mostly. And I didn't care too much about me being able to socialize and having many friends or not.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:10 pm

John, that's true, I had forgotten how hard adolescence was, for the reasons you mention. However, I think my forties are proving a bigger challenge socially.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:10 pm

I found twenties and thirties hardest because my childhood friends (who are still friends today) totally accepted me but other young adults who I was meeting at the school gates either didn't speak to me because I looked "too young to have children of that age" and I was too different. I didn't find forties so bad because I spent most of it housebound and bedbound with illness so it wouldn't ahve made any difference to me.

I love being fifty though and I have learned to be more aware of when things aren't going well and either removing myself or just being up front about my ASD and letting people either accept it or do whatever.

blamo
Raven
Raven

10 Sep 2008, 12:17 pm

ehh...I'd say between 1 and 43. When I turn 44 I'll let you know.

truthfully, young teens sucked...but doesn't that suck for everyone?
20's sucked; being a punk loser and doing too much of everything
30's not too bad
40's not starting out too good. Now I feel like an underemployed loser

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:23 pm

I'm only 16 but I'm guessing adolecsence is the hardest. I've always been told that being a teenager is hard for anyone and that it gets better as you get older. I like being 16 much more than I did 14. I have learned more about myself and others so I'm not always worried about trying to fit in. I'm hoping being 20 will be better.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:26 pm

obviusly when your teenager sinds my life is 0.001%fun

wilbury
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Sep 2008, 12:34 pm

maybe when i was at school mostly & college. i didn't know i had it then which was the problem. i was apparently a difficult child at home & school which now explains things, but knowing your different and cannot figure out why is quite scary. i hated being a teenager. when most teenagers were having a great time in their young days, i was dwelling on in depresions & anxiety. i'm glad i got through it & i woundn't go back!

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:39 pm

I take Lexapro for depression and anxiety (OCD). It has helped somewhat but I hope I can stop taking it eventually. I think being an adult will be better because I'll be getting my degree in game programming. Right now I'm stuck at home being lazy most of the time.

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:41 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
I take Lexapro for depression and anxiety (OCD). It has helped somewhat but I hope I can stop taking it eventually. I think being an adult will be better because I'll be getting my degree in game programming. Right now I'm stuck at home being lazy most of the time.

cool really 8O

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:45 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

cool really 8O

What is cool?

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:46 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
UndercoverAlien wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

cool really 8O

What is cool?

game programming

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 12:51 pm

UndercoverAlien wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
UndercoverAlien wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

cool really 8O

What is cool?

game programming

Yeah, I spend most of my time playing video games so I figured it would a good career to pursue.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 1:29 pm

x_amount_of_words wrote:
UndercoverAlien wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:
UndercoverAlien wrote:
x_amount_of_words wrote:

cool really 8O

What is cool?

game programming

Yeah, I spend most of my time playing video games so I figured it would a good career to pursue.

The problem is that there is a lot of competition for job among game programmers right now. Too many qualified people all fighting over a small number of jobs.

And of course it doesn't help that almost all employers want someone who already has extensive experience so there are very few entry level jobs and the environment is very close knit so they are more likely to hire a bad programmer that someone in the department knows over a stranger with better qualifications and skills.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade though pursue it if its something you like I'm just warning you that its very hard to get your foot in the door so be prepared to put forth a lot of effort and endure a lot of disappointments.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2008, 1:52 pm

Definatly childhood. I was forced to go places and do things I did not want to. I was not allowed to go anywhere or do anthing. We lived in the boonies so it wasn't like there was anything or any place to do or go anyway. But we did have a patch of forest on our properity and I was never allowed to go expore it. I had to sneak off to do so. My parents would form a search party to find me and when they finnaly did I would get a long lecture on how unsafe it was to go off in the woods alone. Even if we did live in a city or something I don't think I would be allowed to go anywhere alone. We did move to a little town when I was nineteen and then I was allowed to go to the movie theater and such alone.