Do you miss anything from earlier in life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:29 pm

This is a confusing topic title and question but I'll try to explain it the best I can. Over the years things have changed (as I am sure it might have in your life as well) For family time I miss playing card games,Monopoly,and fixing/selling houses (we'd go to Outback Steakhouse almost EVERY WEEKEND!!) Now times have changed and we can't do that and my family are paycheck to paycheck. :-( For my older sister while pregnant and before being pregnant Practically EVERY DAY OFF was a call to lets go to the mall lets go to the mall.

Now I feel bad because all her her son's sleeping she's dealing with him etc. (I understand she has a child now etc. but still I feel like a bother sometimes) example: I made a dentist appointment for Sept.25th which was her 1 day ONLY off week so I changed it.) I changed it too Oct.1st Noon and she says "let me look at my schedule." (very rudely IMO) When mom says take your sister somewhere do you mind (she says no that's fine) but WHEN I say I need her she's rude IMO. (BTW I HAVE her schedule and know her days off!! That's her 3 day off week so it'd work out!) My nephews napping is a big X but he's a good baby to begin with so I see that as no issue. With my life personally I LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED College and sadly have been depressed ever since without it. :-( So I am curious does anyone ELSE miss something from earlier in life related to you,your family,friends or yourself? :-)

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

Looking at the world with such innocence and wonder.

It's like how Jostein Gaarder puts it in Sophie's World:

Quote:
One morning, Mum, Dad, and little Thomas, aged two or three, are having breakfast in the kitchen. After a while Mum gets up and goes over to the kitchen sink, and Dad - yes, Dad - flies up and floats around under the ceiling while Thomas sits watching. What do you think Thomas says? Perhaps he points up at his father and says: "Daddy's flying!" Thomas will certainly be astonished, but then he very often is. Dad does so many strange things that this business of a little flight over the breakfast table makes no difference to him. Every day Dad shaves with a funny machine, sometimes he climbs onto the roof and turns the TV aerial - or else he sticks his head under the hood of the car and comes up black in the face.

Now it's Mum's turn. She hears what Thomas says and turns around abruptly. How do you think she reacts to the sight of Dad floating nonchalantly over the kitchen table?
She drops the jam jar on the floor and screams with fright. She may even need medical attention once Dad has returned respectably to his chair. (He should have learned better table manners by now!) Why do you think Thomas and his mother react so differently?

It all has to do with habit (Note this!) Mum has learned that people cannot fly. Thomas has not. He still isn't certain what you can and cannot do in this world.

I want to be little Thomas again.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:57 pm

I always miss the past and look forward to the future. I hate the present so I'm never enjoying life but I always end up missing the times that I hated because things get progressively worse.

Pook
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Sep 2008, 1:18 pm

Yeah me too. I pushed myself through school and was more social with friends. I loved going to festivals, shopping, travel and had a group from church I would hang out with. But after graduation I realised that these characteristics and crap I live with wasn't going away and became withdrawn and depressed.

I miss that life and don't know if I will be able to go to anything like it was. I pray so for all of us here that desire it.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2008, 2:02 pm

I miss the time when i was saying "Later, i will be an astronaut" and actually beleive it!

UndercoverAlien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 2:15 pm

not being super depressed and thinking i could still become some one?

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 2:50 pm

Lately I've been catching myself missing even the bad times of the past - because I'm going through a time rougher than any I've been through, so even the bad times memorioe seem good now.

Jeno
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Sep 2008, 3:04 pm

I miss Recess :(

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 4:06 pm

Sometimes I miss how innocent and sweet my imagination was as a child. PG - rated stuff about my favorite 'toons battling my brother's evil dinosaurs.

Now it's all about vampires and other spooky folks having sex and stuff. XD Nevermind, that's not so bad after all...