Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

philosopherBoi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 12:50 pm

So I am working on a secret project and I need some help, with part of it. I need help with myths and facts about autism ^_^. So if you know any myths and facts I don't please let me know k thank you so much.

Here are the myths and facts I have

Quote:
Autism Myths and Facts

Myth- There is only one type of Autism.
Fact-Autism is a spectrum condition with each form autism manifesting itself in a different ways depending upon what type of autism a person has and of course what type of person they are.

Myth-People with autism are mute.
Fact-While some autistic people are indeed mute many people with autism are not mute.

Myth- Autism causes mental retardation.
Fact- Autism is a condition that affects, commutation, social interaction, emotional development and causes behavior not seen in non-autistic people. A study done by Michelle Dawson and his colleges found that people with LFA (low functioning autism) actually have normal intelligence.

Myth-Autism shapes who a person is.
Fact-Autism has a hand in shaping who a person is but it is one of many different variables, examples of such variables are culture, family, location of residence, and many more.

Myth-You can cure autism.
Fact-There is no cure for autism. With therapy and maturity which comes from age can autistic people can become more like their average peers but autism never goes away.

Myth- Stimming also known as self stimulating is something only people with autism do.
Fact- While autistic people stim more than most people, everyone stims, to a certian degree. An example of a nerotypical person stimming is when they have a headache or migraine and they rub their temples.

Myth- Autistic people want to be cured of their autism.
Fact- Many people with autism like having autism and find the idea of a cure as both insulting and insensitive to their wishes.