Autism families place too much pressure to succeed in life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

justanewbie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Sep 2008, 9:21 pm

All friends who have kids with autism, are overpowering, greedy families, who place just too much pressure on their kids to be successful in life.

They view their kids not differently than their jewelry, fine art and luxury cars.

All of them that I know are like that, so a trend is clearly seen.
Now, this is a cause or an effect?

claire-333
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 9:30 pm

I think these statements say more about your choice of friends than parents of autistic children. A trend?

Meowpurr
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2008, 9:44 pm

How many friends do you have with autistic children?

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2008, 11:24 pm

I smell a troll.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 2:21 am

Magique wrote:
I smell a troll.

First, don't be rash with an accusation... some people start to believe that only their experience is true. I have known parents like those described, albeit with children of all ilks, not just those on the spectrum. Personally, I don't think the two are related; if anything, the panic a parent goes through may negatively alter the motivations and direction they take with their child, or that they do not bond in the same manner as with another child and therefore the child's role is redefined within the family. Again, do not see any sort of cause/effect in the manner described, only that I can see where a relationship can be damaged.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 5:40 am

Sometimes I think I have been pressured.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2008, 7:46 am

makuranososhi wrote:
Magique wrote:
I smell a troll.

First, don't be rash with an accusation... some people start to believe that only their experience is true. I have known parents like those described, albeit with children of all ilks, not just those on the spectrum. Personally, I don't think the two are related; if anything, the panic a parent goes through may negatively alter the motivations and direction they take with their child, or that they do not bond in the same manner as with another child and therefore the child's role is redefined within the family. Again, do not see any sort of cause/effect in the manner described, only that I can see where a relationship can be damaged.

M.

Possibly. There could be a word like "my" missing to soften the absolute. If so, I apologize.
Certainly some families do put too much pressure on any of their children to succeed, seeing them as an extension of themselves. This is wrong for any child. Yes, I've seen it and the damage it causes.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 8:03 am

I've found it to be more common in the US with regards to Autism and parents feeling let down [and displaying this]. Going to college, the dating scene, earning as much power and status as one can, are all a part of the "American Dream", and Autism is totally counter to this in most cases.

Hell, I see this above purveyed by people with less severe PDDs on the 'net.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 9:17 am

I was pressured and as hard as it was, I am grateful for it because I have come really far. I may not have achieved much in my life if I haven't been pressured which would have in the end ruined my self esteem further. And my son is getting early intervention which does pressure him and it has helped him a lot! He has come far. And no it has nothing to do with "curing" autism which I wouldn't want anyway. But the fact of the matter is, this world is a tough world... we have to find a way to live in it if we want to get somewhere in our lives. It would be a waste if we had so much potential that was not lived up to because we weren't pushed initially.

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Sep 2008, 9:46 am

Quite agreeable, I would say. It is the narcissistic tendencies of the predicament that binds the most uneasiness to be latched on my mind.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 10:02 am

Magique wrote:
makuranososhi wrote:
Magique wrote:
I smell a troll.

M.

Possibly. There could be a word like "my" missing to soften the absolute. If so, I apologize.
Certainly some families do put too much pressure on any of their children to succeed, seeing them as an extension of themselves. This is wrong for any child. Yes, I've seen it and the damage it causes.

No worries, no need to apologize here... just have seen the result of rushing to judgment too many times, and don't wish for you, the OP, or anyone to go through it unnecessarily - and on a site as such, there will be issues in communication and understanding. And even if it were the case, we can choose to turn it into a positive and productive conversation.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Bozewani
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2008, 10:54 am

justanewbie wrote:
All friends who have kids with autism, are overpowering, greedy families, who place just too much pressure on their kids to be successful in life.

They view their kids not differently than their jewelry, fine art and luxury cars.

All of them that I know are like that, so a trend is clearly seen.
Now, this is a cause or an effect?

First you are making a generalization, but speaking fro my end, yes, I feel constantly under stress and I swear to god, standards from others are way too high in comparison to the Neurotypes.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 11:07 am

lionesss wrote:
... we have to find a way to live in it if we want to get somewhere in our lives.

Where's "somewhere"?

It’s either live or die, everything in-between is superficial [and subjective], really.