Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:38 am

Aspie, like the word Gay can be used in a negative way, depending, like nearly all dependencies,upon the users intent and the receivers reception.
you can have this debate forever.
i have used the shorthand AS or when explicitly stating i use the word Aspergian(s) as it , to me anyway, seems to give a little more dignity to the description.....i can see some guy saying in an insulting manner..."stop being so aspie"
but it would be unlikely to use "stop being so aspergian" with the same impact.
it has a more respectable veneer.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:51 am

am autie [classic/kanners],but use aspie for those who are on WP,the autistic community is the place where can be specific.
am use autists or autistics in most other forums for all spectrumers.

what is the bother about a word being used in a bad way,there will always be those who see what they want in words,they hijack everything,there is no getting away from it,dont let them dictate how life is run,use whatever words want to.
even more common words like blonde,ginger,blind,deaf,black,white -are used as insults,and it hasn't stopped anyone from using those in a non insulting way.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 8:40 am

The word 'aspie' isn't the problem.
It's the people that have found a brand new way to put a negative spin on everything.

rekoil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2008, 8:59 am

No! I will not! I went too many years without a word for what was different about me to want to give it up now. I've had the word aspie thrown at me as an insult by someone who didn't really know what he was talking about. I took the opportunity to educate him, but I didn't even have to do that. I didn't really care. It's not an insult it's a fact. I would have it tattooed across my forehead, but that would just be a little too creepy.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 9:01 am

Okay, the name does sound like a bad joke. I never tell anyone anything is different about me. In my experience that is a big mistake. Unless you are really different. Like, for instance, if you are on disability I think it's alright to tell people you are disabled because it won't matter.
If you aren't on SSDI what is the point of telling anyone you have Asperger's or any other "psychological" condition? Most people are afraid, don't understand and will judge you and discriminate against you. Even someone who is LF does better than someone who is HF with a psychological condition, as far as discrimination goes.
Anyway, since we are dealing with spectrums, labels don't matter much anyway. I am not your label.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 9:02 am

If you don't like the way it sounds, you can always pronounce it with the original way of saying it rather than the Americanized version. Asperger spoke German, if you'll remember.

AngelUndercover wrote:
If we stop using "aspie" in a positive way, won't that make it easier for others to turn the word into something negative?
Exactly.

There are physically disabled people using "cripple" to describe themselves, just to take the teeth out of the word. I refuse to let the bigots have "Aspie"; it's my word and they ain't gettin' it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 9:27 am

Come on, who here hasn't been called something worse!

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 9:45 am

I just say "I have Asperger's syndrome" and leave it at that. My other problems are more noticeable than my AS.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 10:58 am

I only use the word aspie online. I wouldn't say it to someone in person. It would be like saying lol (laugh out loud) to someone in person.

x_amount_of_words
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 11:02 am

Aspie is not as bad as the" assburger" joke. And it's definatly better than some names I've been called. But I don't tell people I have AS.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 11:33 am

How about 'Asper'? It uses only the first five letters of Asperger, just like 'Autist' uses the first six letters of Autistic.

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 11:35 am

Would you prefer person [self-]diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome? That's quite a mouthful!

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 11:53 am

Fnord wrote:
How about 'Asper'? It uses only the first five letters of Asperger, just like 'Autist' uses the first six letters of Autistic.

Personally, I'd prefer the demonym to break at morpheme boundaries instead of at an arbitrary number of letters.

[Asperg][er]
[Asp][(b)erg]

In English, it would transliterate as Ashburgh. Asperger already means someone from Asperg in German (cf., Frankfurter and Hamburger). We could substitute another suffix instead of -er:
  • -ish: Good Germanic etymology (see Old English -isc, German -isch).
  • All the below are problematic in that these Latinate/Romance suffixes imply that the g in Asperg- should be pronounced as a soft g (i.e., as a j).
    • -ian: Aspergian is already popular.
    • -ese: Aspergese sounds like some special jargon for people with Asperger's syndrome.
    • -ic: Aspergic, because of the Latinate suffix, has a more mature sound.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:04 pm

well, Aspic sounds like a possibility, only the Food Industry got there first (sort of a tomato jello...not my fave...;)

Autist sounds like shootist

Differently-synaptic?

I tend to let things be. Haven't had to define myself to anyone, so the subject rarely comes up. I suppose we could just all be ourselves...

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:13 pm

This a fight over the fact to some people it sound like an 'ass pie', we Ausies use the word arse for the backside, so to us there is nothing wrong with the word aspie. Though I do like the word Aspergian, well unless we can give it a name that removes the original theorists name then you have little choice at slang words. If it is that bad why dont we work on gettin another name, I am sure that will stop a lot of the puns.