Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:13 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Fnord wrote:
How about 'Asper'? It uses only the first five letters of Asperger, just like 'Autist' uses the first six letters of Autistic.

Personally, I'd prefer the demonym to break at morpheme boundaries instead of at an arbitrary number of letters.

[Asperg][er]
[Asp][(b)erg]

In English, it would transliterate as Ashburgh. Asperger already means someone from Asperg in German (cf., Frankfurter and Hamburger). We could substitute another suffix instead of -er:
  • -ish: Good Germanic etymology (see Old English -isc, German -isch).
  • All the below are problematic in that these Latinate/Romance suffixes imply that the g in Asperg- should be pronounced as a soft g (i.e., as a j).
    • -ian: Aspergian is already popular.
    • -ese: Aspergese sounds like some special jargon for people with Asperger's syndrome.
    • -ic: Aspergic, because of the Latinate suffix, has a more mature sound.

I prefer simplicity.

“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:35 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
This a fight over the fact to some people it sound like an 'ass pie', we Ausies use the word arse for the backside, so to us there is nothing wrong with the word aspie. Though I do like the word Aspergian, well unless we can give it a name that removes the original theorists name then you have little choice at slang words. If it is that bad why dont we work on gettin another name, I am sure that will stop a lot of the puns.
Or create brand new ones, Brad. If someone wants to make fun of a name, they will find a way.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:44 pm

ask him can u stop being so nt? :P

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2008, 12:54 pm

Quit being so asspie. No one gives a crap; there is no need for a thread with three pages.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:03 pm

What about Morlockians not too many puns, but we might get compared to these:

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:04 pm

If the complaint is that 'aspie' will be used as a derogatory term by people (as in 'quit acting like an aspie'), it's sorta too late. Because it sometimes happens that people who are ignorant about spectrum disorders will say things like 'you're acting a bit autistic' or 'what are you? autistic or something?!' after another non-autistic person has displayed anti-social behaviour, which makes it sound as though we're all a bunch of sociopaths. That's something that happens sometimes, and it kinda stings.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:56 pm

Oh, so what should we call ourselves, NTs? :?

Though I do agree that the word "aspie" does sound kinda funny.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 4:20 pm

#slaps his head# :roll:

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 5:50 pm

Yeah I've seen Aspergers and Autism used as insults too. The people who used the insult have no idea I'm autistic. I guess I kind of know what it's like to be black and hear a racist joke now. I wasn't offended, I was just concerned for the same reason you are nextfact. If that becomes the new "retarded", it's a setback for all the autistic pride/acceptance/understanding/whatever else movements.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Sep 2008, 7:25 pm

I have heard some kids telling each other "that's so autistic". I am in schools, alot, so I quickly correct them. It's just as anti social as saying someone is retarded. It's inappropriate and just as inappropriate as the infamous "n" word. Of course, no less offensive than going to an autism conference and hearing autistics being referred to as "our special friends", "people with autism", "those people", etc. I was extremely offended. I personally don't use aspie to refer to myself that often. I usually use Asperger's or autistic.

Who_Am_I
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: My body is in Brisbane and my mind is in the gutter. :D

20 Sep 2008, 7:32 pm

CyclopsSummers wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
This a fight over the fact to some people it sound like an 'ass pie', we Ausies use the word arse for the backside, so to us there is nothing wrong with the word aspie. Though I do like the word Aspergian, well unless we can give it a name that removes the original theorists name then you have little choice at slang words. If it is that bad why dont we work on gettin another name, I am sure that will stop a lot of the puns.
Or create brand new ones, Brad. If someone wants to make fun of a name, they will find a way.

Exactly. No matter what word we use, someone will eventually find a way to use it as a pegorative term.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:34 pm

markaudette wrote:
Mainstream culture is trying to adopt "Aspie" as a way of saying "You 'tard!"

That's what he's saying.

I haven't told anyone outside my family about AS. And it's going to stay that way. I like my Aspie-ness being concealed from people.

One person you play a game with can hardly be considered mainstream.

But if you do quit calling yourself an aspie, and thereby quit showing all the great things aspies do, then yes aspie will become a word like retarded.

My aspie traits are what resulted in my graduating college with straight A's - twice. Is having grades other people would die for, without putting much effort into the work, being retarded?

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

LazyGamer
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2008, 10:19 pm

Being called an aspie's an insult now?

I had no idea the concept of thinking differently was such a huge problem. If only there was some website dedicated to this issue...

If people are going to use this term to insult me, I honestly don't care. I've been called retarded (false), gay (false: asexual), a narc (true), emo (up for debate), and all sorts of other stuff throughout my life. I was the sick, weird kid in school, and the unofficial punching-bag. One more word won't hurt, particularly one that's true.

20 Sep 2008, 10:34 pm

I really hate it when people allow assholes to turn a word into an insult. First there was "retarded" then "gay" and now "aspie" is going to turn into a insult soon. Pretty soon, a lot of people won't like that word thanks to all the dumb asses out there.

I will never stop using "aspie" just because the dickheads out there started using it as an insult and then all of a sudden that word became bad one day thanks to them. That's why I am still using the word "retarded." No dickheads will control what I say. :evil:

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 12:15 am

I like the term; I think it's cute. I only use it when I'm with my Asperger's family, with my fiance, and on here. No one can get me to stop referring to myself that way, though I suppose if someone's truly offended I'll refrain from calling them that.