Social skills vs social lies (repeated)

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Berk
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2008, 7:09 am

I don't think anyone here debates that NTs can socialize and to a large extent people with AS can't/don't. The real question is what is the point of socializing? It makes no logical sense to a lot of us for good reason. It has no logical sense. When you really examine it, below the surface.

Society and socializing has not made Humanity happy, in fact the opposite is true, it has made the human race depressed, materialistic and delusional. Modern 'Society' may have brought about advances in technology and made us more 'effective' (make your own mind up on what that means when you look at the state of the world) but it has not advanced the human 'spirit' (for want of a better word) ONE BIT, it has probably reversed it, turned the vast majority into drones who care little about anything other than maintaining their own self delusion - their ego. The whole social pantomime is just that, a show, that the human race has elevated to be the be all and end all.

The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power, because they control the minds of the masses - Malcom X

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:17 am

Berk wrote:
I don't think anyone here debates that NTs can socialize and to a large extent people with AS can't/don't. The real question is what is the point of socializing? It makes no logical sense to a lot of us for good reason. It has no logical sense. When you really examine it, below the surface.

To me, socializing does make logical sense. Humans are pack animals, and socializing is natural. If a person don't wan't to socialize, the society will almost always accept that.

Quote:
Society and socializing has not made Humanity happy, in fact the opposite is true, it has made the human race depressed, materialistic and delusional. Modern 'Society' may have brought about advances in technology and made us more 'effective' (make your own mind up on what that means when you look at the state of the world) but it has not advanced the human 'spirit' (for want of a better word) ONE BIT, it has probably reversed it, turned the vast majority into drones who care little about anything other than maintaining their own self delusion - their ego. The whole social pantomime is just that, a show, that the human race has elevated to be the be all and end all.

In a modern capitalistic society, you don't have to be a drone if you work harder than other people.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Last edited by Reodor_Felgen on 24 Sep 2008, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Sep 2008, 7:17 am

Hola! Nobody lacks social skills. AS and NTs have differents skills. The comparison is what cause the apparent problems. You have 154 poeples saying the same thing and another ONE saying something else. It's sure that the 154 poeples will think the other one is wrong. Our problem is demographic, not neurologic! That is where the difference is between "different" and "wrong".....

Empathy..... so the reason behind thier lies is to 'not hurt other's feelings' ? Almost all i can remember of my life up to now is bullying over bullying over rudeness (yes, those hurted me!!).... They forget that rule when they're around me or what ?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 7:18 am

coyote wrote:
Hola! Nobody lacks social skills. AS and NTs have differents skills. The comparison is what cause the apparent problems. You have 154 poeples saying the same thing and another ONE saying something else. It's sure that the 154 poeples will think the other one is wrong. Our problem is demographic, not neurologic! That is where the difference is between "different" and "wrong".....

Empathy..... so the reason behind thier lies is to 'not hurt other's feelings' ? Almost all i can remember of my life up to now is bullying over bullying over rudeness (yes, those hurted me!!).... They forget that rule when they're around me or what ?

People with Asperger's have problems empatizing with each other as well (just like dyslectics have problems reading stuff that's written by other dyslectics), so yes: We do lack social skills.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

ann2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2008, 8:42 am

the name of this web site says it all, imho. It drives me crazy too when I hear some kind of interesting proposal and I take it seriously without considering the ambivalent world that NT's live in regarding shooting up balloons, etc.

I mean, of course, after all, we take things seriously if and when it affects us and our emotions. Otherwise we tend to ignore it, self-involved as we are.

I'm just glad I'm not run out to the edge of the town and held off from the other citizens with flaming stakes or something. There's a couple of people here who would like to do that, but for the most part everyone is okay with my behavior, if they even notice or care.

So it's up to me to live and let live too, and accept that if I'm upset by someone else's social "lying" (which I don't think is such a bad way to put it) then I'm placing a little too importance on other people's treatment of me. And heck, I'm no princess, they have a right to include me in their normal NT games.

I'm not a child -- the example given regarding not emailing would be hard on a child. So do a pretend pout, and smile and get over it. She's not a b***h and keeping that label on her will only limit your chance of being part of a network.

Ann2

McCann_Can_Triple
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Sep 2008, 9:17 am

I never undertsood the purpose of a white lie. To me that is even more hurtful than the truth. A lot more in fact. Of course you have to have som tact and not be a ass when telling the truth.

Like if a friend makes you cookies and asks what you really think of them. Say said cookies where as hard as rock and if thrown hard enough could likely kill a small child.

I don't get A) "Oh they where just great! I ate them all up in one day."

B)"Christ they where f*****g horrible... I would not even feed them to a dog. Please never cook again."

Whatever happened to a happy medium?

C) Well... they where rather hard and I couldn't eat them."

You tell the truth without sounding like a ass. Nobody gets hurt.

River: They say the snow on the roof is too heavy. They say the ceiling will cave in. His brains are in terrible danger. "

Hurley's mom "Jesus Christ is not a weapon."

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 9:29 am

I wish I understood better what was meant by the original question. It's rather vague.

As far at the "social lies" that have been discussed, one doesn't have to be NT to use one.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 9:31 am

McCann_Can_Triple wrote:
I never undertsood the purpose of a white lie. To me that is even more hurtful than the truth. A lot more in fact. Of course you have to have som tact and not be a ass when telling the truth.

Like if a friend makes you cookies and asks what you really think of them. Say said cookies where as hard as rock and if thrown hard enough could likely kill a small child.

I don't get A) "Oh they where just great! I ate them all up in one day."

B)"Christ they where f***ing horrible... I would not even feed them to a dog. Please never cook again."

Whatever happened to a happy medium?

C) Well... they where rather hard and I couldn't eat them."

You tell the truth without sounding like a ass. Nobody gets hurt.

I guess because you don't know whether someone will take offence without showing it.

This obviates it's becoming an invisible issue.

Ultimately, the question 'how was the cookie' is just as much a social nicety as the answer 'lovely, thanks'.
The question isn't asked to elicit information, and shouldn't be answered as such.

The subtext of 'how was the cookie' is "I just gave you a cookie, I hope it wasn't too inedible" (but that would sound too much like gratitude-seeking).
The subtext of 'lovely, thanks' is "yes, I acknowledge that you gave me a cookie - I owe you one".
Perhaps that's a bit exaggerated - but as much as anything, it fills a void with a topical reference.

To answer a social-nicety question with an informationally-accurate answer is sometimes gunna create an NT-Aspie incompatibility.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:07 am

Yes, it often is a bunch of lies but remember it's a bunch of lies to benefit other people, to spare them some mental anguish and despair.

On that note, since my fellow Aspies might relate to this I will share it here.

I was in a local small town not too long ago, stuck there for a few hours because of a shredded tire on my car. I was in a local store that also had a tire shop so while the tire was being replaced, I had a look around the place. I like new places, places I have never been to before, exploring them, seeing what's there and deciding if it's better or worse than the places near my home. While I was busy exploring I eavedropped on a conversation some of the locals were having. One had a baby and the family with the baby was talking to another lady.

What got on my nerves was how fake the entire thing sounded, done up extra special fake-like because it was in a small town and they have stereotyped friendliness but to me it sounded sooooo insincere it really got on my nerves and I can remember cringing while listening and wondering how they can stand it. Having a conversation and talking with someone is entirely different. But this was soooo overly dramatic such feigned friendliness I wondered how they could all be completely oblivious to how it sounded and why they seem to like being talked to like that.
I don't like being talked to like that.

To me, it just sounds ostentatiously fake, like whomever is doing it is doing it just to look good in front of others, to put on a show for their own benefit and just using me as a pawn, not really caring about me, just wanting to show off to others they took the time to acknowledge my life but this is just my perspective.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Sep 2008, 10:12 am

Berk wrote:
Society is a lie. .

Is it a lie? Maybe.

But it is deemed the best way for people to function in a society. You may not understand that, but it is reality.

Anyone who does not understand that should make the effort to do so.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:26 am

Oh and another thing for everyone that believes the so-called NT is sooooo wonderful at understanding, lying, empathizing...

I want to explain here that the absolutest cruelest behaviour I have ever encountered has come from SADISTIC "NTs".

I don't like to use labels, by NT I mean non autistic people. Everyone but ASDers.

I am so SICK and tired of people acting like NTs are flawless socially that is just soooooo not true. Seriously what kind of NT Utopiate do you live in because if the NTs around you are seriously that perfect and flawless and NICE
PLEASE I BEG YOU LET ME JOIN!! !

EDIT:

Maybe it's just the use of labels that are the mistake. People on this thread assume that NTs can never be brutally honest and Aspies always are. NTs can lack empathy or just not care as easily as someone with Asperger's and YES an "NT" can be really sadistic. We are individuals, not labels.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 24 Sep 2008, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:28 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Yes, it often is a bunch of lies but remember it's a bunch of lies to benefit other people, to spare them some mental anguish and despair.

On that note, since my fellow Aspies might relate to this I will share it here.

I was in a local small town not too long ago, stuck there for a few hours because of a shredded tire on my car. I was in a local store that also had a tire shop so while the tire was being replaced, I had a look around the place. I like new places, places I have never been to before, exploring them, seeing what's there and deciding if it's better or worse than the places near my home. While I was busy exploring I eavedropped on a conversation some of the locals were having. One had a baby and the family with the baby was talking to another lady.

What got on my nerves was how fake the entire thing sounded, done up extra special fake-like because it was in a small town and they have stereotyped friendliness but to me it sounded sooooo insincere it really got on my nerves and I can remember cringing while listening and wondering how they can stand it. Having a conversation and talking with someone is entirely different. But this was soooo overly dramatic such feigned friendliness I wondered how they could all be completely oblivious to how it sounded and why they seem to like being talked to like that.
I don't like being talked to like that.

To me, it just sounds ostentatiously fake, like whomever is doing it is doing it just to look good in front of others, to put on a show for their own benefit and just using me as a pawn, not really caring about me, just wanting to show off to others they took the time to acknowledge my life but this is just my perspective.

This is the NT equivalent of an Aspie not wanting to talk.

Because let's face it, it's not really communicating at all.
It's just making social 'noises' at one another.

All it really says is 'I'm fine - nothing new to say'.
Even if there's nothing new to say, it's still rude to say nothing.

MemberSix
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:31 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Oh and another thing for everyone that believes the so-called NT is sooooo wonderful at understanding, lying, empathizing...

I want to explain here that the absolutest cruelest behaviour I have ever encountered has come from SADISTIC "NTs".

I don't like to use labels, by NT I mean non autistic people. Everyone but ASDers.

I am so SICK and tired of people acting like NTs are flawless socially that is just soooooo not true. Seriously what kind of NT Utopiate do you live in because if the NTs around you are seriously that perfect and flawless and NICE
PLEASE I BEG YOU LET ME JOIN!! !

Nice is not socially-competent.

No-one's claiming they're NICE.
They're simply saying they're way better at social stuff.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 10:38 am

Okay, An NT is better at empathizing with the sadistic impulses of another NT. You do make a good point, MemberSix.

ann2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Sep 2008, 11:04 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
What got on my nerves was how fake the entire thing sounded

We see it (hear it), they don't. That's our curse and our power. Don't tell anybody what you see/hear, but use the information to warn if necessary :-)

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2008, 11:05 am

Kaleido wrote:
It would be better if they don't want to meet again to tell the truth or at least not tell a lie, like instead of saying "Lets meet for coffee sometimes", they could just say it was pleasant meeting you and not add the lie.

That lie confuses me.

I once heard from a guy, "We should go out for coffee."

So I emailed him a bunch of dates and times that worked for me. He never even replied!