Ever feel like you're incapable of forming a solid opinion?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 2:33 pm

Hi.

I have this problem, where it's like I don't have a solid opinion on anything, with the exception of really basic stuff like murder, rape, my personal survival, etc. There is so much data, and I can never be just on one side of an argument, because I can see and understand both sides fully...even on topics like bestiality 8O

This drives me bananas, since it's like no one's ever right and there are no real answers to anything in the world. Anyone else have this problem?

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 2:49 pm

Aurore wrote:

This drives me bananas, since it's like no one's ever right and there are no real answers to anything in the world. Anyone else have this problem?

yes , this is an AS approach , coomon but not hard to alter and modulate.

you would like and be good at forensic science.

le tme give you an example:

man charged with murder, found with victims blood on his clothes, under his finger nails and his blood at the crinme scene
he admits to murder but later withdraws his confession.
12 witnesses saw him murder the victim.

question in court:

did this man kill the victim.

the forensic scientist is taught to answer:

i dont know if he did kill the victim but the evidence i have examined would suggest that the peobability that he victim was mirdered by the accused is very highly likeyl to make him the murderer.

there are no absolutes in forensic science and there are always arguments for and against any topic...yes any topic.

if asked if a car is the colour red, a forensic scientist could successfully answer no and give reasons why.

it is a healthy way to be, thou it can be difficult to turn off.

you need to learn that you can have a forensic scientist in court argument......or a " it doesnt really matter to me right now" argument.
each with a different burden of proof.

you need to learn to turn it off.

it is difficult but possible.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 2:59 pm

donkey wrote:

le tme give you an example:

man charged with murder, found with victims blood on his clothes, under his finger nails and his blood at the crinme scene
he admits to murder but later withdraws his confession.
12 witnesses saw him murder the victim.

question in court:

did this man kill the victim.

the forensic scientist is taught to answer:

i dont know if he did kill the victim but the evidence i have examined would suggest that the peobability that he victim was mirdered by the accused is very highly likeyl to make him the murderer.

there are no absolutes in forensic science and there are always arguments for and against any topic...yes any topic.

if asked if a car is the colour red, a forensic scientist could successfully answer no and give reasons why.

it is a healthy way to be, thou it can be difficult to turn off.

you need to learn that you can have a forensic scientist in court argument......or a " it doesnt really matter to me right now" argument.
each with a different burden of proof.

you need to learn to turn it off.

it is difficult but possible.

That's a cool way of looking at it. Yeah, I need to be able to turn it off. Do you have any suggestions?

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 3:03 pm

Sometimes i cant figure out what i am suppose mean about a subject

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2008, 3:06 pm

Relate to this a lot.

When I feel like I have to give my opinion on something it's usually trouble.
I look at the complexity of the issue and what I really know about it and decide I can't possibly come to any conclusion.

I don't feel like I always had this though. Started around puberty I guess.
Makes you feel like you lost focus and got more confused or even dumber.

Last edited by AvatarOfLight on 25 Sep 2008, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

V4der
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2008, 3:09 pm

Not sure what you're talking about. I've always been able to formulate an opinion on things... and am very opinionated by nature.

|-o-| V4der |-o-|

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 3:26 pm

The whole world does something I can't do - see life in black and white. In my experiences through life, I have only seen shades of grey. There's ALWAYS more to the story than just the facts. And until I get all the facts, I honestly choose to not really have an opinion.

But when I'm pressed into a corner and ordered to have an opinion about something, I waffle in my thoughts. I go back and forth on the topic because I am always so unsure of myself. And because my judgement is just not the best judgement someone should be trusting. I make all kinds of mistakes in judgement.

Magique
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Sep 2008, 3:34 pm

Lol...all the time. It's one reason why Eastern religions or mysticism in general appeal to me--the lack of duality. There aren't any easy answers and duality is an illusion.

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 3:40 pm

It's really nice to know I'm not the only one :)

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 3:49 pm

turnign if off for me is a concious choice......i say to myself..this si a stupid argument, and stop thinking about it.

in time it becomes natural...i still find myself hooked up in perseverating about topics, this is what it is and is an As feature.

i physically recognise it now and then resist doing it after recognition.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 5:42 pm

There are the things about which I'm very one-sided and strident, my personal opinions/choices/imperatives. No wiggle room with those, and I'll go off on a screed if one of these issues is triggered/provoked.

Then there's "everything else", the rest of life, where I can see all manner of possible stances/positions one could be in relation to numerous issues-and I can't really pick only one "side" to be on or advocate for.
See my custom rank: "Vast Ambivalence": as in, I have intensely conflicting reactions to many sorts of things, and cannot settle on a single attitude/point of view as to that thing.

So, yes, I identify with the title (and originating post) of thread.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 5:55 pm

I can form an opinion easily if the facts are cut and dried and they are what I work from when doing so. However when it comes to intangible stuff like deciding whether or not I like a person or if I am for or against a social issue of some sort, I often sit on the proverbial fence because my brain can't seem to sort out pros and cons if they're not concrete enough. Things cancel each other out when I make a mental list of good/bad opinion about a subject. If they equal themselves out, I can't decide. For instance, I can't decide if I like John McCain or Barack Obama - they both have good and bad points that balance each other out. Too bad they can't be co-presidents, then the decision would be easy...yay or nay.

liloleme
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 6:22 pm

Ummmm, Im not sure if I am or not.... just kidding.

I have this problem as well....I think when I was younger I was more opinionated. I also think it actually goes along the lines of having an open mind.

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 7:12 pm

I thought I was the only one who struggled with this. I can't really make up my mind on anything and I'm never really certain about what's right.

25 Sep 2008, 7:29 pm

Whe there are two sides to the story I usually cannot form an opinion because I do not know the answer.

Darlie Routier was accused of killing her two sons but she said an intruder came in and attacked her and her sons and stabbed them both to death. But the evidence showed she did it but when you hear the other side of the evidence, she sounds innocent so which side is correct?
Is she innocent or guilty?

I feel the same way about another guy who was accused of shooting his pregnant wife in August 1999. The evidence showed he did it but there was other evidence that showed he didn't shoot his wife but she shot herself. Only thought I have is maybe he lied to the police by saying he didn't have sex with her but he did and he went to the bathroom and then he heard the gun shot. Maybe if he were more honest with the police, then he would have stayed out of less trouble. Semen was found in her vagina during an autotopsy (sp) and the guy said he didn't have sex with her yet but was going to.
The gun was fired 18 inches away from her head so no way would someone commit suicide by pointing a gun that far from them. Perhaps she touched it and accidentally pulled the trigger and the bullet came out and hit her. Okay so two theories so far.
But did he shoot his wife, I am not sure? I can't even decide if he is innocent or not.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2008, 7:36 pm

I don't have an opinion