Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm

When I was in a mental institution, there was a boy there who was otherwise normal, but would periodically get this weird feeling, then he'd black out, and kick and punch people while he was blacked out. He was very strong, so he could really injure people. The staff treated it like a behavior problem... but he was very distressed by it. If he felt it coming on he'd beg them to find a way to keep him from hitting people, and they'd still treat him like he was just "being bad" on purpose. I suspect he was epileptic too and I really hope someone noticed instead of whatever labels he was probably getting at that place.

Edited to add: BTW much of my seizure stuff was diagnosed on the basis of medication responses (including both which ones made me have more and/or new kinds like atonic and myoclonic, and which ones made me have less), and on other people's reports of my behavior, and my own reports of my experiences, all of which have stayed consistent for most of my life despite my having less memory of them than others do. My first EEG was abnormal but not in a way that had anything to do with epilepsy (there was slowing in part of it), but I was told at the time that my behavior/experiences/etc were consistent with a kind of seizure too deep in the brain to measure, so they were not surprised it did not show up on the EEG. A later brain scan showed extremely abnormal and asymmetric activity deep in the temporal lobes, and that was also used as one of many clues in diagnosis. This is extremely common in TLE, particularly if it doesn't often generalize. Which is why they have to look at the overall picture rather than one part of it to get a clue what's going on and how to treat it. TLE is frequently mistaken for a large number of different psych conditions because it can affect areas of the brain concerning emotion and perception.

kitty2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Sep 2008, 1:41 am

Triangular_Trees wrote:
Temporal lobe epilepsy is often misdiagnosed as depression.

And even if you aren't depressed, going through that and not getting treated probably gives you a significant chance of becoming depressed.

Just keep in mind that you can be having 50 seizures a day and still get a normal EEG, so don't accept the doctors word that a normal EEG means no seizures - I did and that was one of the biggest mistakes i n my life. My seizures are complex partial in the left frontal temporal lobe (also the right, but this current diagnoses only caught ones in the left). The second neurologist said my type of seizures almost never showed up an EEG and that they are the hardest kind to treat :?

One other thing to watch for is how long they ask you to breathe deeply - the first technician said 10 times, the second said 10 minutes. The second neurologist said my seizures started pretty much immediately after I began the deep breathing The first technician hadn't allowed any time for the deep breathing to truly affect me

Thanx for this information! I had a talk with my psychologist last week and she says I have a very positive state of mind and she proposed to get off the anti depressants, but my GP just thinks it is way too early, because you have to stay on it for a minimum of time (generally a year....).
I also had a talk with a mate of mine who is a nurse. She as epilepsy, had an EEG that didn't show anything, she had a long way of doctors, psychiatrists before getting the right diagnose. She told me the same thing about EEG.

And the breathing deeply, that was about 10 times... :?
The neurologist I see is for a damage claim after an accident, so I think and hope he will be a bit more thourough than doctors in a different position... Clinical examinations shows I have temporal lobe epilepsie. He also was quite annoyed that my GP only put me on anti depressives and didn't refer me to a psychiatrist.
I will go back to see my GP again I think.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 5:05 am

I have to have an EEG now because I have since had about 7 more seizures... sigh... I don't think that it is a 100% accurate way of finding seizures because only people with more severe epilepsy will have seizures every day, what if on the day of the EEG you have none? I'm not too stressed about it, but the staff here are having an apoplexy, say they can't cope etc... Mum doesn't want me home either... :cry:

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 11:08 am

This is my only 2nd time i had a seizure in a year and 2 weeks ago i had a EEG then they placed a device to attach my heart for 24 hours then the next day they took it off and the doctor said it was normal and yesterday i went for an MRI scan which lasted for 30 mins underneath a tunnel hope the results will come in a weeks time.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm

howzat wrote:
This is my only 2nd time i had a seizure in a year and 2 weeks ago i had a EEG then they placed a device to attach my heart for 24 hours then the next day they took it off and the doctor said it was normal and yesterday i went for an MRI scan which lasted for 30 mins underneath a tunnel hope the results will come in a weeks time.

The Uk must be far behind medically if you had to go through a tunnel. My doctor told me they only have open mri's now

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 1:17 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
MissConstrue wrote:
Yes, I have a seizure disorder that're mal-petite. So they aren't as big as epilepsy.

:? That doesn't make sense

Epilepsy isn't a kind of seizure, it is a condition of recurring epileptical seizures. If you have recurring seizures, that aren't NES, you have epilepsy, regardless of the type. If you had more than 2 E seizures, you have epilepsy. If your seizure disorder isn't as big as epilepsy, there is no reason at all to be on medicine. No one needs to be put on medicine because they've had one seizure.

There are people with epilepsy who don't need meds and can live fairly normal lives, and their are people with epilepsy who even with meds and brain surgery can't do much. Epilepsy consisting of absensce seizures as just as much epilepsy as epilepsy consisting of atonic and tonic-clonic seizures

Also, absence seizures are called petite-mal, not mal petite :wink:

In addition to getting the names of your seizures wrong, not knowing what E is, identifying a type of seizure that doesn't match your description of the type you experience, and remembering a type of seizure (petit-mal) that is a lapse of concious activity, it is also rather odd that you would be put on a medicine that is never to be used for those with a history of depression unless all alternatives have been ruled out, and one in which extra care needs to be taken when administered to those with a drinking problem, as you've previously stated you experienced severe depression and alcohol addiction :wink: Not to mention its a drug that is only used for short term AED therapy

I'm guessing she has a seizure problem but it's not been diagnosed - so she wouldn't know the terminology, just gets the sense that something is up.

As for me...I have no idea whether or not I have seizures. My mother has epilepsy, so it's possible. I have very intense migraines, with powerful aura that include hallucinatory smells, vivid images and holes in my visual field, but supposedly they're not seizure-related.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 2:03 pm

Jellybean wrote:
Hi, I had a seizure (clonic) the other day. It was kinda horrible because I felt a bit weird before I fell over and now I have a massive bruise up my right arm where I fell. Just wondering how many other people have seizures/diagnosed epilepsy because I don't know whether I have it or not yet. My doctor thinks I might have been having petit mal seizures and partial seizures for years! When she mentioned epilepsy I merely said, 'Oh well, just another one to add to the list...' I feel like I am falling apart!

sorry if have been mentioned in thread already [have just had a shutdown and cant read through all] but get an EEG done-the longer it lasts the better-the short EEG tests are useless if do not have a seizure during it.

Am have severe tonic clonic epilepsy,have had TCE since toddler age,am take 2000mg of tegretol ret*d daily [which also helps with meltdowns and other autism issues] though neuro is talking about adding a new one now.
am was on epilim in childhood and in the past year,the neuro told am it can actually cause seizures in girls so shouldnt have been on it,am wonder if that could have had an effect.

Quote:
The Uk must be far behind medically if you had to go through a tunnel. My doctor told me they only have open mri's now

its behind in many ways.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 6:04 pm

Aurore wrote:
As for me...I have no idea whether or not I have seizures. My mother has epilepsy, so it's possible. I have very intense migraines, with powerful aura that include hallucinatory smells, vivid images and holes in my visual field, but supposedly they're not seizure-related.

I get ophthalmic migraines so that I get the visual field wonkiness without the headache. As far as I know, migraines aren't related to seizures. They have to do with abnormal blood flow rather than abnormal electrical activity.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 5:07 am

LostInSpace wrote:

I get ophthalmic migraines so that I get the visual field wonkiness without the headache. As far as I know, migraines aren't related to seizures. They have to do with abnormal blood flow rather than abnormal electrical activity.

The idiot neurologist I saw who told me I couldn't possibly be having any seizures, told me her best was guess was that I was having migraines.

I mentioned that on a website, but once I got into some of the details of my aura, people with migraines said that my aura description couldn't possibly be a migraine. There was some confusion at first because apparently the definition of aura with a migraine is different from the definition of aura when talking about seizures but those people eventually caught on that I didn't mean the same thing as them when I said aura. I think the big clue for them was that I couldn't organize my thoughts while the "migraine" was taking place or shortly therafter. I'm not sure if the hallucinations were also something that wouldn't occur with a migraine

(you know, some days its really hard to keep from spamming that doctors name all over the internet so everyone knows what a complete idiot she is.)

What medicine are you on Aurore? I'll pm you the advice my childhood neuro gave me when I told him what was happening with Dr. Idiot. I'm not quite comfortable posting here, as he started the email by saying he doesn't usually use email for patient care.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 1:44 pm

Triangular_Trees wrote:
I mentioned that on a website, but once I got into some of the details of my aura, people with migraines said that my aura description couldn't possibly be a migraine. There was some confusion at first because apparently the definition of aura with a migraine is different from the definition of aura when talking about seizures but those people eventually caught on that I didn't mean the same thing as them when I said aura. I think the big clue for them was that I couldn't organize my thoughts while the "migraine" was taking place or shortly therafter. I'm not sure if the hallucinations were also something that wouldn't occur with a migraine

Well, I definitely don't see how they could think your hallucinations were part of a migraine aura. Typical visual things for a migraine aura are holes in your visual field, seeing spots, sparkles, "worms", etc. Not seeing mushroom clouds on your hand. I just recently had an ophthalmic migraine a few days ago where I had this big, wiggly, swirly, blurry line in the middle of my vision for about 20 minutes. It made it practically impossible to read and was really unpleasant and pretty freaky, but it was also a textbook ophthalmic migraine. Your experiences do not sound at all like a migraine aura, and I can't believe the doctor thought it was that.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:41 pm

This kid is posting on another forum I'm on

long link

They are kicking him out of the dorms because he is having seizures, but at the same time are telling him he doesn't have a disability, because the EEG mentioned in the video was inclusive and the doctor (not a neuro) the school assigned him to says that means he doesn't have a seizure disorder.

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 3:38 pm

i just received a pm from someone accusing me of lying about not being in control of what I do when i come out of a seizure.

You think people would take 2 seconds to do a google seach before "calling someone out" about faking a disability, wouldn't you? harassing someone about lying over their epilepsy because they experience one of the signs a neurologist looks for in determing if an epileptical seizure has actually occured is quite silly.

Wonder if this same person would accuse a person with a broken leg of lying about having a broken leg because they were wearing a cast

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 5:10 pm

You should probably show the PM to the mods. I'm fairly sure that sort of thing is out of line here.

And whoever it is should go read Wikipedia on Postictal_state.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 9:09 am

I had a first cousin who had grand mal seizures. I've personally had a couple of seizures, one the result of head trauma when I was young and another due to a high fever a few years ago. Febrile or fever-related seizures usually occur in children but I was in my late 30s. I also pass out due to intense pain - but only when I injure my fingers.

It's strange how electrical activity in the brain works (or doesn't).

Z