Why do so many aspies have issues that I don't?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rastaking
Raven
Raven

01 Sep 2012, 8:12 pm

All the other "aspies" in my high school had some obnoxious quirk about them. I was the only one who fit in with the rest of the school without looking stupid. Here are some examples of the others:

1. one of them would poke people's noses (he did that to me when we had our first group meeting with a psychologist)

2. one of them would take advantage of me when I was assigned to work with him as a "team"

3. one of them would sit through our math class without doing any work, and would curse all the time when the teacher caught him (he farted in class too)

4. one of them talked for 45 minutes straight (except for when the counselor spoke) when we were in group counseling

5. one of them would boss around everyone else in the class

6. one of them would make all kinds of excuses to sit through class and not do any work

7. one of them would shout at our counselor (she REALLY didn't like that)

8. one of them would stare at the computer of whoever was sitting next to him

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 8:16 pm

Some aspies have different traits than others and all aspies are higher or lower functioning than others. I'm assuming you're higher functioning. Just remember a lot of aspies can't help what they do.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2012, 8:34 pm

I do not find any except the first to be that odd. As lostgirl said, everyone is different. I guess maybe you could feel fortunate that you did not have issues that made you stand out, and pardon those who did. I am sure my son wishes he did not stand out from his peers. Unfortunately, he can't really help it. It is who he is.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 7:13 am

Most of those behaviours strike me as perfectly normal behaviours that non-autistic teens/adolescents display (today). Hard to say anything more concrete about it from such a short list/one that doesn't go in depth about the situations in which they displayed those behaviours and whether they had anything to do with a disorder such as autism or were just normal/age appropriate for teens.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Sep 2012, 9:22 am

What do you mean when you say "take advantage" of you?

Maerlyn138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2012, 9:26 am

Maybe theye don't really have AS...maybe they are just as*holes!! because they sound like as*holes. Maybe they were misdiagnosed by some over eager counselor/psychiatrist/psychologist and now they are using the diagnosis just to act up. Those don't really seem like aspie behaviors to me...because I'm the expert dammit!! ! lol :wink:

Aspie score: 159 of 200 NT score: 64 of 200

Sidmor
Raven
Raven

02 Sep 2012, 9:51 am

Autists/Aspies behave emotionally differently from the NTs. This may explain some of the seemingly random behaviors.

Autists (and children) think like this, for example:

-Feel happy -> start running

-Feel tired -> lie down

But NTs act more based on how they want to feel/seem:

-Want to feel relaxed -> lie down

Also they generally care more of what others may think of them. Like "don't run because people may think that you did something suspicious".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 11:07 am

I don't have any obnoxious quirk like that either, when I'm out or at social groups. I'm just like another normal person, with social awkwardness that is mild and hardly noticed by many people.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 12:41 pm

rastaking wrote:
All the other "aspies" in my high school had some obnoxious quirk about them.

All other Aspies as if you are an Aspie as well? But, I see you are a Neurotypical in your profile, who don't understand and is not in any position to criticize us.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 12:44 pm

Dirtdigger wrote:
rastaking wrote:

All other Aspies as if you are an Aspie as well? But, I see you are a Neurotypical in your profile, who don't understand and is not in any position to criticize us.

He only chose NT because troll wasn't an option.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 12:45 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't have any obnoxious quirk like that either, when I'm out or at social groups. I'm just like another normal person, with social awkwardness that is mild and hardly noticed by many people.

Do you have a difficult time trying to be a normal person in social groups? It is very hard for me and yet I still have problems with not wanting to make eye contact and the face tics I have. I hate social settings because of my social issues.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
rastaking wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2012, 12:51 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Dirtdigger wrote:
rastaking wrote:

Heh! Maybe we should make it an option so people can just be upfront about it! LOL!

Rattus
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Sep 2012, 1:03 pm

Sidmor wrote:
Autists/Aspies behave emotionally differently from the NTs. This may explain some of the seemingly random behaviors.

-Feel tired -> lie down

Also they generally care more of what others may think of them. Like "don't run because people may think that you did something suspicious".

This compleatly, also reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad the other day.

Dad: but don't you feel happy when you laugh?
me: no I laugh becuase it was funny.
Dad: but doesn't laughing make you feel happy?
me: no I laugh because it's funny.
*computer shutdown moment*

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

02 Sep 2012, 1:05 pm

Sounds like some of them have high levels of demand avoidance, it's an Aspie trait.

Nyrianstark
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2012, 1:46 pm

Rattus wrote:
Sidmor wrote:

-Feel tired -> lie down

This compleatly, also reminds me of a conversation I had with my dad the other day.

Dad: but don't you feel happy when you laugh?
me: no I laugh becuase it was funny.
Dad: but doesn't laughing make you feel happy?
me: no I laugh because it's funny.
*computer shutdown moment*

the dad bit sounds like me ive noticed ive alwayus been a bit ... different with my thought patterns and other assorted things but this is me down to a tee if i dont understand i will just mentally shut down while it processes and this can take anything from 5 minutes to an hour its kinda worrying to be honest. is that me being slow or just not very good at understanding peoples sayings etc.?

go go lets catch the shiny! ^_^