Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2008, 4:37 pm

I really want to get fit and exercise, When I am bored I have no trouble with the motivation and eager to get out jogging or whatever, but when I stand there ready to go it's like I am a total different person and try to come up with stupid excuses for staying home instead.

Anyone else feel this change in wanting to do something, and then don't?
Does anyone have good tips or things I can do to keep my motivation solid over time?

Have been jogging for almost 5 months - 2 times a week :lol:

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 4:40 pm

I've felt that way forever until I took a good look at myself and my life. I knew I had to change my ways, eat better and in smaller portions and exercise more. And I have to say the change is scary, any change for us is scary but I remind myself how BETTER I feel just by doing those few things (and what also helps is knowing how BETTER I'll look too in the long run). And yes, eating better and getting some exercise will make you feel better about life in general.. no matter what kind of crap you are dealing with at least you have a feeling that you are more in control once you get past the emotions of dealing with the change.

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2008, 4:55 pm

Yes, I know the changes is good, and I can both feel and see the difference the exercise has made and I am happy about it too, but still..

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:00 pm

Make it a part of your routine, it helped me a lot. Also, find a sport you're good at. I'm not good at soccer (because of my crappy fine motor skills), but I'm physically strong, and can gain muscle mass with ease--which is why I began with weight-lifting.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:25 pm

i finally convinced myself to start going to the gym.

it's just one of those things that you don't want to do, but should do.

for me, it's just a way to waste time. being single and working part-time, i have a hell of alot of useless time, so i decided to go to the gym more often. it's really fun, as it turns out.

i go for reasons other than weight loss, however.

Sky
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Oct 2008, 5:32 pm

I have no idea whether this is good or meaningful advice or not, but one thing I do is to simply not give myself the choice of backing out. If I do not allow myself the option of not going, there is no avoiding walking out that door and exercising. It's as if I consider it a rule that I do not have a say in. Maybe that sounds like nonsense but it's a mental trick that works for me.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 5:46 pm

"They" say keeping a journal and recording your thoughts/progress along the way helps. However, one fatal flaw that I see is that keeping that journal requires motivation in the first place!

I'd say try that, what's to lose?

Do you live far away from where you work? If not, perhaps you can walk/jog/bike to work? This is if your job would allow it (having to wear a suit would probably prevent you from trying this). Or, perhaps you can wake up a bit earlier, and jog a short while before you go to work, works wonders for "alertness," and starts the day better than a donut and cup-a-joe. The reason for the suggestion is that you HAVE to go to work, am I correct? In linking this activity to something you HAVE to do, every day, perhaps the idea will kick in, and this will become natural routine for you, just as waking up every day to go to work is.

KaliMa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 7:08 pm

d0ds0t

i have the exact same experience. when i'm sick or injured i really feel a drive to start an exercise program; when i get well and could actually follow through, the drive to start magically disappears :wink:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 7:12 pm

You HAVE to find exercise you like, or that's useful to you. Doing housework counts. Yardwork is heavy exercise. Use a bike for transportation. Walk for relaxation. If there's a sport you like, then take that up.

BTW, you will probably gain weight when you start to exercise; don't get discouraged--it's muscle you're gaining; you're not somehow getting out of shape. Your appetite will go up, too, by a little bit, to support the extra muscle and "pay" for the exercise.

Don't worry about the weight unless you have joint problems or something... overweight+healthy lives just as long as normal weight+healthy. But don't eat nothing but junk, either, or you'll be unhealthy no matter what size you are...

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

EV
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Oct 2008, 8:19 pm

One does not have to leave the house to exercise. I find it impossible to sit still long enough to watch a movie (or anything else, really), so we've a rebounder (mini-trampoline) in the family room to bounce on whilst watching tv. The children have another in their room. We also have jump ropes, hula hoops, small weights, and of course, a pull-up bar. I think, it's all about making exercise, not only entertaining, but accessible. If the option is always there, you are more likely to give it a go, when the mood strikes. At least, that's what works for us.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2008, 8:25 pm

It helps if you have a place to go, a place just for jogging with a track that has measurements. That's easiest for me. I go to a park that has a mile long track and I know if I walk, jog, run, whatever (I do all three, I don't have the stamina to run an entire mile) at least once that's a mile. Twice, two miles, etc.
Going someplace with a bunch of others doing the same thing and a track is easiest for me.
You can get more exercise by walking places you would normally drive...that's extra, on the side after that 1 + mile.

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2008, 9:03 pm

Here are some tips for losing weight:

MOVE - as much as you can, as often as you can.

EXERCISE - for at least half an hour, at least once every single day, before a meal.

EAT REGULARLY - never go for longer than 4 hours without food. If you go longer than 4 hours, your body will go into 'famine mode' and store everything that you eat.

EAT MORE EARLY IN THE DAY - eat as much as you want (of healthy food) in the morning.

EAT LESS LATE IN THE DAY - try to have your main meal at lunch time. If this is not possible, then no later than 6pm.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER - this will flush toxins out of your body that are released when stored fat breaks down.

EAT MORE HEALTHY FOOD, AND LESS UNHEALTHY FOOD

MAKE SURE YOU GET ENOUGH PROTEIN IN YOUR DIET

- easy! :wink:

Kelsi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Oct 2008, 9:14 pm

And here are some tips for getting fit:

MOVE - as much as you can, as often as you can.

EXERCISE - only do strenuous exercise every second day.

EAT ENOUGH PROTEIN - so you don't lose muscle while you are exercising, and so you can increase muscle density and size.

EASE INTO EXERCISE - start slowly, and increase gradually.

SET WEEKLY GOALS - draw up a chart if it helps, something visual where you can mark off your progress. Don't worry about what you want to achieve next week until you have completed this week.

ONLY COMPETE AGAINST YOURSELF - don't worry about other people, just focus on improving your own performance. Don't compare yourself with others - compare yourself with how you were before.

REWARD YOURSELF - but not with something that is unhealthy, or that will undermine your goals.

REMEMBER THAT IF IT HURTS, YOU HAVE DONE DAMAGE TO YOURSELF.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 12:20 am

non food rewards for meeting goals are good.

if u are not comfortable in a gym environment then you can do other things like walking, or workout videos.

d0ds0t
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2008, 9:58 am

thank you everyone for posting..

I consider my diet to be healthier than most..as good as no fat or sugary food, haven't had like a burger for.. humm.. 6 years I think it is now.. I only allow my self to eat one small cup of candy of my choice every other weekend. I do my jogging on tuesdays, swimming on wednesday and basketball or landhockey og thirsdays, and jogging again on saturday..

4 meals a day, and 3-4 portions of fruit and vegetables.

For those who suggested jogging to work, I live next door to where I spend my days, but there are a couple of stairs, so I run up and down a few times during the day :)

But I still feel like I can do better and want to approve my stamina. I am still considered overweight, pluss I'm not that tall so my weight is more noticeable..

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:06 am

Maybe you should eat more proteins and less carbs. Carbohydrates are often the reason why people gain weight.

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.