Page 2 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:37 am

Don't worry too much about being told you lack common sense. Many people who told me this started out with more for sure, but didn't grow beyond that as far as I can see. A lack of assumptions and a high attention to detail enables one to find subtle things out that others wouldn't think to ask. Also, sometimes common sense is wrong.

Lots of useful people never contribute anything new, too. Actually, I have referred to people as "useful" as a backhanded compliment, and I would interpret it as such if someone told me that I'm useful.

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Josie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:00 am

sinsboldly wrote:
I get ignored and people will look right though me to their friends on the other side of me. It's like I don't exist completely in their plane of consciousness, or something.

Merle

I feel that way to at times!! !

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:39 am

I don't get told those things, though for awhile there was some decent empirical evidence that they were true. . .

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 2:41 am

hale_bopp wrote:
I get told that I'm stupid and ugly a lot

/shrug

That makes me sad.

You don't seem stupid at all, and your avatar is certainly cute. . .

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 4:19 am

Jainaday wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

/shrug

That makes me sad.

Thanks, that means a lot to me, especially at this time. Some people are just evil, nasty people.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 7:56 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Jainaday wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

/shrug

That makes me sad.

Thanks, that means a lot to me, especially at this time. Some people are just evil, nasty people.

That makes me sad, too. I've never once read a post of yours that I thought was stupid. You always make good points. And, whoever said that you're ugly must've been just angry, and throwing out groundless insults, because you are most definitely not ugly.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:37 am

Yeah. . .

I wasn't quite sure, but if you're the girl in the link video on the pictures thread, you're also gorgeous.

And, also I should say, that beyond being "not stupid," your posts often strike me as being sort of dryly satirical and funny, and really very smart. I enjoy them a lot.

whoever it is, I'll beat 'em up for you.

Last edited by Jainaday on 04 Oct 2008, 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 8:38 am

Yes.

"OMG! You've never used this particular stereo and you don't know where the on button is??? Useless ret*d!"

And then I get blamed whenever my team in gym class loses for 'not doing anything' when NOBODY PASSES TO ME!! !

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:03 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Jainaday wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:

/shrug

That makes me sad.

If that's you in your avatar you are far from being unattractive.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:14 am

I've never been told I'm useless, but I have had to have simple things explained to me, even though I was a good student in school and do well at my job.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:37 am

I call myself stupid a lot. Nobody else does but I move in polite circles.

Ugly doesn't make sense applied to people.

Looks to me like somebody was just being an as*hole. I've had some strange comments from passers-by. Mostly they seem to want to scare me. Might have worked once, but they don't bother me these days. I don't give a damn what they think of me.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 9:57 am

I've been told many times that I lack common sense. But mostly as a kid and a teenager.

It was like I had to guess everything on beforehand, and if I didn't know (because nobody told me), it was just too bad, I should have figured that out myself. As if I could read other people's mind. Why, they couldn't read mine either. :?

Lots of times I've been told that I couldn't or wouldn't understand, but when I asked them what I was supposed to understand, they said they couldn't answer that question, only refer to exactly the situation that brought the discussion to life. Again I had to think everything over a lot in order to be able to understand, or at least look like.

Or I've been told that I "did some things that most others of my age didn't do". Which things, that was difficult to get a grip on, because when I asked they only referred to that single actual "thing", but could never bring up more than that one example. But they didn't know about Asperger's at that time.

Or as late as 1½ year ago I was told that I didn't do things quite right in the kitchen, as for planning the chores or knowing when it was "smart" to do what, and in which way etc. When asking for examples, I got the answer that it was difficult to say, unless the person saw it happen and could point it out. Well, why say it then, then I get no chance to change the things?
Maybe it's because there is something "undefinable" about me, and yet different? (I think someone here once called it "Aspie vibes" - I like that expression.) :D

Anyway it ought to be a social NT rule that you shouldn't accuse anyone unless you can tell what they do wrong and how to do it better (instead of just saying that it's "something you can't explain"). It just makes people frustrated and doesn't help them do things in another way. Or not in a good way I think.

Last edited by AnnePande on 04 Oct 2008, 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:11 am

i been told both but i feel like i have more common sense than anyone else i know

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:27 pm

CentralFLM wrote:
Quote:
I got told I was useless today (I was standing around not helping put up groceries) (which I tend to do I'm usually clueless LOL!) Also I get told I have no common sense on a daily basis.

You're useless because you are self-absorbed and don't think about other people. I've also had this probelm as well in the past, but I've realized that we are put on this Earth to give, instead of being selfish like playing video games 15 hours a day and believing that other's don't have needs as well.

And you Sir have a use, A Nob!

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:31 pm

I've learnt that people criticize you according to their own agendas only and regardless of what your real flaws are. Indeed, those nasty adjectives like "useless" are meant to guilt-trip you, not to generously point out a flaw you'd benefit from working on.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:35 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
A) you're useless or B) you have no common sense. :-)

I got told I was useless today (I was standing around not helping put up groceries) (which I tend to do I'm usually clueless LOL!) Also I get told I have no common sense on a daily basis. :-(

I'm told all the time that I lack common sense, which I agree with to some extent. If someone called me 'useless,' though, I'd slap the s**t out of them. Considering how hard I've had to work just to scrape by and survive in this crap world, I would be highly offended if someone called me useless.