Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 1:51 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
A) you're useless or B) you have no common sense. :-)

I got told I was useless today (I was standing around not helping put up groceries) (which I tend to do I'm usually clueless LOL!) Also I get told I have no common sense on a daily basis. :-(

Ya I have been accused of having no common sense, but I seem to have way more sense the the people who told me of my shortcomings :lol:

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 3:41 pm

CentralFLM wrote:
Quote:
I got told I was useless today (I was standing around not helping put up groceries) (which I tend to do I'm usually clueless LOL!) Also I get told I have no common sense on a daily basis.

You're useless because you are self-absorbed and don't think about other people. I've also had this probelm as well in the past, but I've realized that we are put on this Earth to give, instead of being selfish like playing video games 15 hours a day and believing that other's don't have needs as well.

:roll:

ethos
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Oct 2008, 4:15 pm

Yes. Particularly by my mom.

Thanks mom.

-JR
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 1:10 am

Useless? Very rarely. I actually am quite helpful. I think this is because I feel like a putz half the time I'm around anyone, and me being the watchful guy I am, I know when help is appreciated, even if it's not the "right" kind of help. I think this is a learned thing though, as is most things, of course. Reason I say this though, is because everybody will be doing something, and I'll be sort of out of it, and then I'll come around, and then I'll be the industrious guy I am. Just a half sec behind everyone else is all.

Common sense? Ehh.... Don't get me started. "Lacking" only begins to describe...

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 2:25 am

I have ben frequently told that I lack common sense.

I tend to call myself useless..when I am angry at myself.

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2008, 10:14 am

i'm constantly being told i'm lazy.

i remember one occasion yeeeeaaars ago, when i was... 13 or so, before i knew anything about AS, we were staying at the house of one of my sister's friends, and for whatever the reason was, we suppose to be moving some stuff from one part of the house to another. i remember that i refused to carry a box, because of sensory issues with cardboard, but couldn't explain at the time why exactly it was that i wouldn't touch the box. i tried to explain, but my sister's friend just got mad and called me lazy... i was really irritated and had a melt-down... i ended up finding a closet somewhere and hiding out for the rest of the day. the ironic thing is, i would have been happy to carry ANYTHING that wasn't in a box.. i would have carried bags or loose items gladly!

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2008, 10:31 am

A. They don't say I am useless, they say I am a waste of intelligence, a waste of time, and a waste to the world.

B. They say I don't make sense all the time.

cdc2001c
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Oct 2008, 11:26 pm

I get told that I do not have any common sense all the time. My mom who knows about my Aspergers and has been informed about everything that goes along with it still calls me stupid because I can t read her mind to know every step she wants taken. I try to be 3 steps ahead of her and when I am she gets irritated about that. Guess I just have to keep working on that mind reading power. LOL

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 11:31 pm

Taly wrote:
A. They don't say I am useless, they say I am a waste of intelligence, a waste of time, and a waste to the world.

B. They say I don't make sense all the time.

If that's your parents saying that to you all the time, that's really harsh.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2008, 11:39 pm

I was at Thrifty getting ice cream and I asked the person behind the counter what is in the "Root Beer" flavored ice cream.

He responded like I had no common sense.

That is one of the traits we have. We are all floating in our own world instead of reality.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 9:16 am

-JR wrote:
Useless? Very rarely. I actually am quite helpful. I think this is because I feel like a putz half the time I'm around anyone, and me being the watchful guy I am, I know when help is appreciated, even if it's not the "right" kind of help. I think this is a learned thing though, as is most things, of course. Reason I say this though, is because everybody will be doing something, and I'll be sort of out of it, and then I'll come around, and then I'll be the industrious guy I am. Just a half sec behind everyone else is all.

Common sense? Ehh.... Don't get me started. "Lacking" only begins to describe...

If I'm interpretting your post right JR your behavior there seems like me. I will be in my room playing my game watching tv etc. and the family is cleaning house. I come out a couple hours later ready to get going on the day perhaps cleaning etc and everyone else is watching tv and relaxing LOL! It's like oh well. :-) I tend to play games when people are busy etc. and am at times don't want to play them and want to clean etc. :-)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2008, 11:05 am

"Common sense" is a dodgy, cop-out term in the first place. It assumes a lot about what sense is common to all, kind of "everybody knows that you should do x when somebody does y." Some people also believe in the existence of "stupid questions" but occasionally you'll meet people who will tell you there's no such thing as a stupid question. If you haven't been told something clearly at a time when you can see the relevence of the info to your life, you can't be expected to remember it or use it. Watch out for unenlightened employers who give you "everything you need to know" in a boringly long document on the first day of a new job, saturating you with info in completely the wrong format and at the wrong time. Next thing, they can't understand why you haven't memorised it and applied it perfectly to your job.

As for "useless" - I thought using people was an antisocial, manipulative thing to do. It's another of those handy words for prejudiced people to hide behind. When did you ever hear of Einstein or the Beatles being described as useful? Their output may be useful to some purpose or other, but it's always described as a gift they actively and generously handed to the human race. Useless is nothing more than a callous put-down - shame on those who use it. I was called a "useful Pom" once by an Australian (I'd just helped him fix a computer problem), it annoyed me a little as I'm not here to be used, but I soon realised that Aussies talk that way to each other a lot and it's more like friendly teasing than a serious attack.

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2008, 11:09 pm

Although really, what's so common about common sense anyway?

Nobody *I* know seems to have it.

AI
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2008, 8:37 am

I was frequently told that I was lacking in common sense by my father, Lately I've taken to calling myself a combination of idiot and genius, because if I use aspergers as an explanation I get asked if that means I hear voices.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 9:53 am

AI wrote:
I was frequently told that I was lacking in common sense by my father, Lately I've taken to calling myself a combination of idiot and genius, because if I use aspergers as an explanation I get asked if that means I hear voices.

OMG!! ! LOL! Asperger's you hear voices LOL! (for someone to thank that I mean)

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 10:21 am

I've been told that many times, along with "you're always wrong." It got to the point where I was even told I was "born wrong" which didn't make sense. I thought right/wrong were based on criteria or some sort, but my family decided that if I said something, no matter what it was, it was wrong while if someone else said the same thing, it was right. That doesn't process well in my mathmatical brain and always drove me crazy.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"