Page 4 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Oct 2008, 10:33 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Amicitia wrote:
Roseduelist wrote:
The cure for that is to shut down the left hemisphere of the brain and open up your right hemisphere with use of imagination. Play out a story in your head or something that entertains you and eventually it will stop over time. This helps me get to sleep alot.

That's exactly what I do! I'm constantly writing stories in my head. It doesn't help anything.

Quote:
It helps to have a phrase or song that you can say to yourself over and over as a key to shutting off thinking.

I try to count, or focus on a word, but as soon as I stop I go right back to what I was thinking about before.

Are you really playing when you're writing those stories, or are you more tending to turn it into work?

Good question... I don't think of it as work (I hardly ever *do* anything with the stories), but I do expend a fair amount of effort on writing them well. Because I feel good when I compose a beautiful phrase.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 12:05 am

I do that too, especially with unfulfilled desires, such as having a girlfriend.

Taking time to deliberately relax, e.g. reading a book and breathing slightly deeper, help to calm the mind.

Active, intense Meditation usually helps the best with this.

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 12:40 am

I remember doing this as far back as 6th grade...I couldn't sleep with my mind racing...still can't...

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 1:18 am

I can't shut my brain off. It's rather a miracle I ever manage to fall asleep.

I once wrote an essay on how I find "thinking of nothing" utterly impossible. I think it was rather good. Sadly I don't have a copy that I know of.

I would point out that I have heard the same thing from many people who are definitely not autistic.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 3:29 am

Amicitia wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Amicitia wrote:
Roseduelist wrote:
The cure for that is to shut down the left hemisphere of the brain and open up your right hemisphere with use of imagination. Play out a story in your head or something that entertains you and eventually it will stop over time. This helps me get to sleep alot.

That's exactly what I do! I'm constantly writing stories in my head. It doesn't help anything.

Quote:
It helps to have a phrase or song that you can say to yourself over and over as a key to shutting off thinking.

I try to count, or focus on a word, but as soon as I stop I go right back to what I was thinking about before.

Are you really playing when you're writing those stories, or are you more tending to turn it into work?

Good question... I don't think of it as work (I hardly ever *do* anything with the stories), but I do expend a fair amount of effort on writing them well. Because I feel good when I compose a beautiful phrase.

Hmmm.....I never think of anything as work (unless somebody else is forcing me to do it). I just find myself going hook line and sinker for whatever goal has occurred to me. Maybe you've forgotten how to play? I tend to do that. If it doesn't feel like a complete waste of time, and somewhat hedonistic, it's probably not play. I must confess I have a crazy tendency to turn anything into a job of work with a glittering, high-quality goal at the end of it.

Tim_UK
Toucan
Toucan

09 Oct 2008, 8:45 am

Usually when I'm trying to get to sleep!

Amicitia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2008, 2:42 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Hmmm.....I never think of anything as work (unless somebody else is forcing me to do it). I just find myself going hook line and sinker for whatever goal has occurred to me. Maybe you've forgotten how to play? I tend to do that. If it doesn't feel like a complete waste of time, and somewhat hedonistic, it's probably not play. I must confess I have a crazy tendency to turn anything into a job of work with a glittering, high-quality goal at the end of it.

Oh, I hope not. Do I need to spend more mindless hours playing Solitaire?

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 5:28 pm

Amicitia wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Oh, I hope not. Do I need to spend more mindless hours playing Solitaire?

I'm no expert but I wouldn't think Solitaire would be a lot of help (it would make me think too much) - more something like drawing a picture and deliberately not trying to make it "good," just fooling with the colours for the sheer hell of it. There must be tons of different activities.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:25 pm

It's getting progressively more difficult to sleep as I age. The Missus used to rib me that all I had to do was lay down, and I'd fall asleep. Now I take a little antihistamine, a bit of whiskey, and when I can get them, sleeping pills. Even then my mind is talking to itself ...

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 6:31 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
It's getting progressively more difficult to sleep as I age. The Missus used to rib me that all I had to do was lay down, and I'd fall asleep. Now I take a little antihistamine, a bit of whiskey, and when I can get them, sleeping pills. Even then my mind is talking to itself ...

Prof, first wanted to thank you for sharing the quote in your sigline; I've taken and posted it for a reminder for myself.

Secondly... I've often found some success treating my mind like an onion being peeled, pulling layers off and letting them go to take the levels of thought down under my mind is at least slow enough to dip into sleep. I don't know if physical activity is an option, but sometimes it manages to pull my overall energy down to a level that functions also. Alcohol works like a stimulant on me, so drinking never helped me in that regard.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 7:13 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Even then my mind is talking to itself ...

My mind also seems to take on a personality of its own at times :wink:

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2008, 7:32 pm

I believe some gifties have the same problem, from what I've heard.

asplanet
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 7:46 pm

orngjce223 wrote:
I believe some gifties have the same problem, from what I've heard.

Does not even child have a gift, it finding it!

chella
Raven
Raven

10 Oct 2008, 6:40 am

Any moment where I'm not occupying my mind, it tends to take over pretty harshly. The worst times for this is when I shower and when I'm trying to go to sleep at night. I swear my brain is my worst enemy sometimes!

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 7:02 am

This is a huge issue for me, my brain never, and I mean NEVER shuts up. It's like a radio (or 2, or 3, or...) is going full blast at all times. I get trapped in thinking about subjects, memories, people, something I read or saw. It wakes me up at night and prevents me from falling asleep.

cdc2001c
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2008, 10:04 pm

Hey this might sound weird but since I wrote this I have found a trick to get me to go to sleep. Not making fun of anybody or anything, but I bought Ghost Hunters on DVD and I can turn this on in my bed room and let it play and I go right to sleep. I dont know why, I actually like the show and all, but when it is dark and I am in my room, it helps me sleep. I guess because it is a dark show, and everybody is just whispering all the time. LOL