Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

colonel1fan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2008, 9:53 pm

yes, i ride horses. I haven't been on one in a long time, but i love to ride them. I don't ride as often as my sister does, but all the same. I love the smells and sounds associated with horses when I'm at the barn riding.

nicky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2008, 9:58 pm

i like horses just as much as any other animal. i even sat on one once.. when i was a kid. but.. then it shifted it's feet, and i got scared and wanted down. :lol: that's the closest to actually riding a horse i've ever gotten. :(

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:14 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I wonder if they like being ridden by people? It seems so uncomfortable having to walk around with a human on your back. Sometimes run with a human on your back. I don't even want to know what that would feel like! Ouch.
Mr Whiskey is pretty.

Some really like to be ridden and some really resent it; and every opinion in between.

Every horse rider pair is a partnership. Just because they get along with, and like to be ridden by person A. doesn't mean they will like person B. The trick is when you are teaching them all about this people/riding thing, is to try to keep it fun. It's a game, while they are learning. Also, they need to learn to trust you; and that is where you have to earn 'your keep' so speak with them.

Some horses trust most people and don't care who is up there (or have been beat down to the point that they know that making a fuss is more trouble than it is worth. That happens a lot too.) Some will only take one person. That is who they trust. Period.

It's very complicated and every horse is different. Every dynamic when you put in a person is different. Every day I learn something new about the potential nuances of those interactions; that person/horse dynamic and synergy.

It's possible to learn how to ride in such a way so as not to sore your horse. For me, a gallop is actually alot smoother going, (easier to sit) than a trot.

The horse that came with Mr. Whiskey (Thank you for the compliment by the way. He is a pretty boy. I need to find a summer pic. :) ), liked to go, go, go. His favorite speed was hell-bent-for-leather. :D He was fun.

But he was a big horse that liked to boogy, and that scared most people. He was also a horse who needed someone confident, or he was such a big chicken you couldn't get him out the gate.

I was scared at first with him too. But I stayed up there anyway, and we figured each other out. After a few weeks, if any one else got up there he would spin in little circles, and rear, and generally just pitch a fit. So then we had to work on that.

Every horse is different. That particular horse taught me alot. I can't even begin to convey how faceted it is.

-Walt Whitman

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:15 am

Yeah.. But im not that great at riding.. wel im not bad.. but im not to great hahaha xx x

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:15 am

once when i was like 5 years old

Liopleurodon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Oct 2008, 10:35 am

I used to go riding every week from aged 9 to about 17. Would love to do it again at some point but it's expensive and I decided that singing lessons were more important to me. I still love horses though. Amazing creatures.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 10:47 am

pheonixiis wrote:
Some really like to be ridden and some really resent it; and every opinion in between.

I think the ones that resent it might be uncomfortable but have no way of saying it. Their backs aren't strong enough or they have muscle pain in their shoulders and backs and have no way of telling us they aren't physically strong enough so they just act like they resent it.
The ones with good backs are the ones that don't mind being ridden. If I were a horse I don't think I could handle it, lol. I ache just jogging, in my lower legs and shoulders just from that, with no one on my back, lol.
I admire horses.
Quote:
Every horse rider pair is a partnership. Just because they get along with, and like to be ridden by person A. doesn't mean they will like person B. The trick is when you are teaching them all about this people/riding thing, is to try to keep it fun. It's a game, while they are learning. Also, they need to learn to trust you; and that is where you have to earn 'your keep' so speak with them.

True, some don't seem to mind it. We have an annual Appaloosa horse show at the fairgrounds every year, sometimes I go. I like the costume event, a rider dresses in a native american costume and is judged in the arena. Some of the costumes are authentic from the past, others are newer replicas. The oldest authentic costume wins and the horse the person with the oldest authentic costume is always the stillest during the long event. I admire the horse that can stand so still with all the ornamentations and the rider on it's back while the announcer tells everyone about every single item every single contestant and their horse is wearing. Some of the horses really hate it, they start moving around, the handlers in the arena have to approach them and grab their reigns because the horses lose their patience having to stand so long. If I were a horse, I would be like that.

pheonixiis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 11:19 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
pheonixiis wrote:

I think the ones that resent it might be uncomfortable but have no way of saying it. Their backs aren't strong enough or they have muscle pain in their shoulders and backs and have no way of telling us they aren't physically strong enough so they just act like they resent it.
The ones with good backs are the ones that don't mind being ridden. If I were a horse I don't think I could handle it, lol. I ache just jogging, in my lower legs and shoulders just from that, with no one on my back, lol.
I admire horses.

True. That is the first thing to look for is pain. Back, legs, feet. Sometimes just the saddle is pinching them wrong. Or, there is a piece of grass or burr in the blanket that was missed. Sometimes and easy fix. Sometimes... Not so much. :)

-Walt Whitman

redears
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2008, 11:44 am

Some horses love it and you just need to find a job they love. My horse loves cross country jumping, her ears are forward and she willingly gallops at the fences, lots of fun! I have a video to show you but I'm too new to post a link.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2008, 11:47 am

Oh, I know plenty of horses don't mind being ridden, in fact, I admire the ones who have the stamina. I was just comparing myself to horses and think I would make a lousy horse. I have nothing against horseback riding in general. Sorry if I appeared judgmental.

redears
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Oct 2008, 11:50 am

Ana, not at all!! You weren't judgemental at all. I know what you mean, I don't think I would like if I were a horse either, and my younger horse does not mind it but he would rather hang out with you and learn tricks rather than be ridden (he's more labradore than horse I think!).

The costume classes are fun too, we have one at my barn every year, I've never had the energy to do it though.

horsegurl4190
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2012, 12:37 am

I have owned and ridden horses all my life. My horse is the love of my life. Riding a horse is the only time I truly feel free. Every one of my problems just melts away. The horse and I become one and it is the greatest feeling ever.

351Boss
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2012, 7:54 am

I think I qualify :wink:

I have five horses and both ride and drive them (It's one of my 'jobs')

I also look after about ten other horses for people (That's my other 'job')

Safe to say I kinda luv em'

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 8:07 am

I used to ride, would love to again but so much to do and so little time!

Brunny wrote:
Once. It was a nightmare!
1: Horse puts head down and munches on grass; my attempts to pull head back up and encourage trotting along with the other horses is completely futile and totally ignored. In fact I saw no sign that the horse was even aware of my attempts to instruct her or even of my existence at all.

2: After several minutes horse notices that the rest of the horses are nearing the horizon and will soon disappear out of sight. She stops munching grass and gallops at breakneck speed to catch up with them. This is my first time on a horse ever, I cling on for dear life in a state of utter terror but luckily I manage (just about) to stay on until she catches up.

I think if someone had instructed you a little about riding then you would have had a better time. Pulling on the reins is how you stop a horse.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 8:28 am

Only once, when I was 14.

Brunny wrote:
Once. It was a nightmare!

The horse I was riding paid no attention to me whatsoever and carried on doing its own thing as if I wasn't even there. The pattern was as follows:

Me too. Mine just wandered around at random. She seemed to realize I was just some noob kid and not worth paying attention to - can't blame her, I was. :lol:

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 10:39 am

Yes, I used to take horseback riding lessons and my mum owned two horses at one point. I'm not a big fan of the lessons but I do enjoy basic trail riding.