I've tried almost every food and drink there is

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2008, 5:28 pm

For the past few days whenever it's been possible to order a food or drink I've never had, I've almost always taken the opportunity. The result is I probably know more about food and drink now than anyone and that's strange, considering the fact that as a child I had the most limited diet of anyone I know.

My conclusion after this period: there is so much great food. Chinese vegetables, tofu and rice are simply joyful. Hash browns with a cup of tea are a classic way to spend half an hour. Hot chocolate makes me happy and bewilderingly close to being sociable in the way I make eye contact and body language towards others. Japanese food looks terrifying, tastes like something invented by a mad scientist but actually is wonderful - it's no wonder it's the food of people who rocket into the future like there's no tomorrow.

Just some thoughts I'm sharing. I feel very odd at the moment. Not quite myself. I almost feel like going to the toilet and eating my own excrement and drinking my own urine just because I've never done it.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 5:47 pm

Perambulator wrote:
Just some thoughts I'm sharing. I feel very odd at the moment. Not quite myself. I almost feel like going to the toilet and eating my own excrement and drinking my own urine just because I've never done it.

That is *really* disgusting.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 5:51 pm

Perambulator wrote:
For the past few days whenever it's been possible to order a food or drink I've never had, I've almost always taken the opportunity. The result is I probably know more about food and drink now than anyone and that's strange, considering the fact that as a child I had the most limited diet of anyone I know.

My conclusion after this period: there is so much great food. Chinese vegetables, tofu and rice are simply joyful. Hash browns with a cup of tea are a classic way to spend half an hour. Hot chocolate makes me happy and bewilderingly close to being sociable in the way I make eye contact and body language towards others. Japanese food looks terrifying, tastes like something invented by a mad scientist but actually is wonderful - it's no wonder it's the food of people who rocket into the future like there's no tomorrow.

Have you eaten truffles, blowfish, crickets, ants, rats,cockroaches, hare, dog, everclear, or danske ost?

Perambulator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Oct 2008, 6:07 pm

I haven't tried all those weird and wonderful creatures because I'm a vegetarian at the moment. If I ever become an omnivore again I'll definitely have to put them on my to do list. I'll try truffles ASAP. What is danske ost?

By the way did you know a handful of ants have more protein than a 10 ounce steak?

zebedee
Toucan
Toucan

07 Oct 2008, 7:48 pm

Try out something involving Kefir if you've never had it, or some viili. Yes I have a thing for heavily fermented milk products ;)

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 8:08 pm

Perambulator wrote:
I haven't tried all those weird and wonderful creatures because I'm a vegetarian at the moment. If I ever become an omnivore again I'll definitely have to put them on my to do list. I'll try truffles ASAP. What is danske ost?

By the way did you know a handful of ants have more protein than a 10 ounce steak?

don't think a handful of ants would weigh as much as even just the protien in 10 ounces of steak! danske ost is "danish cheese". It IS, officially, a special TYPE of cheese. Frankly, I don't even want to be in the same ROOM with the stuff, no offense to any danish people here.

mouapp
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Oct 2008, 9:01 pm

what about beer?

there is an amazing range of them once you get past the "super largers", Guinness should be a good start wherever it is you live

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2008, 9:20 pm

Personally, I've tried several kinds of macaroni and cheese - Kraft's "Cheesiest" from the box, microwave-safe mac, the KFC stuff (although I do think their macaroni is a bit overcooked), Velveeta recipe, the GFCF stuff (not very good, honestly), and sphagetti with American melted on top of it.

There's room for discriminating tastes everywhere.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 9:31 pm

don't forget cracklin's, prarie oysters (or mountain oysters), scrapple, greens, spotted dick, and suet pudding?

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Oct 2008, 9:32 pm

Oh, and the Hometown Buffet macaroni, and the mac/cheese you find in the frozen case.

Yep. I'm a fan. :D

LadyMacbeth
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the girls toilets at Hogwarts, washing the blood off my hands.

07 Oct 2008, 10:01 pm

mouapp wrote:
what about beer?

there is an amazing range of them once you get past the "super largers", Guinness should be a good start wherever it is you live

Guinness isn't beer; it's stout.

Try deep-fried battered Mars bars.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2008, 11:33 pm

You mean you've tried many kinds of (vegetarian) food and drink available *where you live*. The ones you mentioned are certainly not out of the ordinary. There are tons of exotic foodstuffs eaten by indigenous peoples that never find their way into supermarket shelves or into restaurants abroad. If you hunger (ha ha) for more variety in your diet, why not try some travel? Ever seen "Anthony Bourdain- No Reservations"? There are a number of similar shows on TV- I always enjoy watching them to see what sorts of exotic foods there are that I've never heard of. How many of us have eaten raw seal eyeball or warthog rectum? Or even a simple worm taco? Those are commonplace meals for people in some parts of the world. You could spend *years* (let alone a few days) sampling local delicacies in far-flung locales and still have much more to explore.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

08 Oct 2008, 3:46 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
mouapp wrote:

...or a deep-fried twinkie.

Shelby
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Oct 2008, 4:25 am

Perambulator wrote:
What is danske ost?

Danish cheese, the poster was being a smartie writing in another language.

You have GOT to try the deep fried Mars Bar mouapp mentioned, oh my GOD they are good!! !!

PS. In South America some people eat tarantulas

Dragonfly_Dreams
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Oct 2008, 8:40 am

Don't drink urine. Seriously. Its pretty gross. (I was a very curious child... )

craola
Toucan
Toucan

08 Oct 2008, 9:15 am

LadyMacbeth wrote:
mouapp wrote:
what about beer?

Guinness isn't beer; it's stout.

And Guinness won't truly taste like Guinness unless tried in Ireland.

And deep-fried Mars bars or any other chocolate taste best in Scotland :)

And if you're over here I guess jellied eel would be the necessary taster for London area.

Not that I like any of these things.