Page 3 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 7:52 pm

I'm totally the opposite of 9CatMom, I test over 130 in performance (non-verbal) but average on verbal. I have had perfect scores on some visual/spatial tests. Due to a bit of a working memory deficit, unfortunately, my lowest academic score is in math, the area that they say those with high performance IQ should excel.

I've recently realized that I have mostly concentrated on learning things where I have a bit of a deficit. I couldn't read/understand sentences until third grade, and didn't learn to write well until I was in my 30s. My high school history teacher still tells me, "You're writing was baaaaad!" But I just kept plugging away, and eventually things seemed to fall into place. Now I think I need to take some math classes and try to catch up on that deficit. Should probably start with multiplication tables - I could never remember much over 5x.

Z

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Oct 2008, 7:55 pm

9CatMom wrote:
My verbal I.Q. is high (between 130 and 150, depending on the test), but my spatial intelligence is very poor. I always did very well in English, foreign languages and other subjects requiring a lot of reading, but only average in math. Algebra was hard for me.

I have NO spatial inteligence. I only know how to go 2 or 3 blocks away from home, unless it's a straight road I cannot come back home. I foccus more on details and hate corridors and labyrinths and it's funny I always think about corridors, labyrinths and puzzles in miniature and draw them a lot, but ironically when I am the "miniature" inside them I just can't go. I am always entering the wrong rooms in college and people laugh a lot... I am always going to the "men's" bathroom and yes, they are way cooler. Anyway I was lucky I've never found a man there. :oops:

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2008, 8:09 pm

I'm about even in both categories, and I identify with the "moderately gifted" despite a higher IQ score.

I know there's speculation about "gifted" being related to Aspergers in more ways than one.

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2008, 12:24 am

People loved to say the only thing I couldn't do was "flying". Anyway, I don't feel more special than anyone. I "suffered" with lots of pressure and expectatives from parents and teachers, I also I act pedantic towards them when I disagree at something... I've been avoiding this, and suffering with my pedantism a lot.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:01 am

http://www.sbs.com.au/rockwiz/
apparently this weeks episode features a man with AS. he has a massive knowledge of 80's music. give him a date and he can name the top 5 songs.

on at 8pm saturday.

this show is a way for people to show off their music knowledge (no prizes)

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:23 am

IQ-wise, it seems I now just barely scrape into the above 130 category.

As a child I was deemed as "gifted" and through the fog found myself recruited for the gifted program at my elementary school in 4th grade....then I had to switch schools and then I had a nervous breakdown and found myself sitting at the back of the class in 3rd grade again...I took the tests to get into the "Vanguard" program at that school, and while I qualified, the waiting list was too long...and I think there were some concerns that I would have difficulty fitting in over there, as I managed to get teased by some of them even though they were located in an annex building on the other side of the school...

I managed to get into the gifted program in Jr. High, and it saved my life, though I always seemed somewhat intellectually inferior to my peers in those classes(and got teased for it)...partially because maybe I was and partially because they had largely been in those classes since grade school.

My best friend, who helped me get in to those classes said I made up for it through my unconventional thinking and creativity....

I don't have many real intellectual gifts...but I am a pretty good singer and am decent at writing songs and have a strong sense of melody....and I have other creative talents besides....so maybe she was right.

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 4:32 am

I am a member of MENSA as well as an Aspie. I am definatly in the "gifted" catigory. Diferent IQ tests give different IQ scores, so it is more relative to compare percentage rather than score. On the IQ tes I took I scored a 144, which is better than 99.8% of the populace.

However, I still struggled to maintain A's and sometimes B's in school, so it's all relative to how one evaluates intelegence.

Last edited by PhR33kY on 16 Oct 2008, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2008, 4:37 am

tweety_fan wrote:
apparently this weeks episode features a man with AS. he has a massive knowledge of 80's music. give him a date and he can name the top 5 songs.

on at 8pm saturday.

Yeah, he's on this board.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt79344.html

PhR33kY
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2008, 4:58 am

kleodimus wrote:
this may sound absurd to all who read this but i can actually see the future... but only to an extent it has very strict ruling

You are right, it sounds absurd. :)

waltr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2008, 8:59 pm

I was identified as gifted in 5th grade and put in a special program for Educationally Handicapped Gifted students. For most of my life I thought that my difficulties came from being too smart for my own good. Average people didn't seem to have all the problems getting along that I did.

ThePhantomStranger
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Oct 2008, 9:13 pm

..I used to be thought of as " smart " , maybe not quite " gifted " .
I skipped kindergarten .
I used to think , " Maybe if I HAD been sent to a ' gifted ' school things would've worked out better for me , I'dve been not all that ' smart ' by comparison to REALLY ' smart ' types , could've fit in more " :cry: :( ...Now , I'm officially " autistic " . :( :x

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:28 pm

kleodimus wrote:
and about a month or so later they actually happen in the exact way i had saw them

My 11 year old AS son describes experiencing something similar.

I don't really know what to make of it. There is much about the world we don't understand, but the mind also plays tricks, so who knows. As a pragmatist, given that the visions don't seem to have any practical application, positive or negative, and just "are," I haven't given it too much thought.

But I thought you would like to know that my child has described this experience.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:33 pm

Callista wrote:
Oh, and giftedness isn't a predictor of success. Above a high-normal IQ, career success actually drops. I think it must be the social disconnect that happens when one mind works differently from another--much like Asperger's.

And the fact that you bore more easily, which keeps you looking for new challenges, instead of focusing in one direction and working to advance within that. It's hard to get ahead when you need to shift gears as soon as you've gotten really really good at a career. But once you are good enough to make a fortune, you're totally bored with it.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 2:05 am

Owendust wrote:
tweety_fan wrote:

on at 8pm saturday.

Yeah, he's on this board.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt79344.html

cool

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 6:14 pm

Just like 9CatMom, I score in the gifted range for verbal IQ, but I'm only in the high-average range for performance IQ, so that brought my IQ down to 129, one point away from being considered "gifted." But I've been diagnosed with NVLD, so I just consider that I'm "gifted," because my poor visual-spatial/mathematics abilities are from a learning disorder. They should be in the gifted range, too, if it weren't for the NVLD. I still laugh at how there was a 35-point difference between my vocabulary index score and my perceptual organization index score. :lol:
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

Taly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2008, 6:29 pm

Liverbird wrote:
At any rate, I see the high IQ as an earmark to the Asperger's. That's why we're AS and not HFA or LFA. That's also what separates us from the monkeys. Oh, yeah, that and our ability to speak. Go figure.

My question: "Ability to speak". I believe there are people on this board that speak more than 4 languages. So they don't handle english as amother-tongue english speaker and also commit grammar mistakes, may mix english with other languages. And people understimate HFA a lot saying they IQ is below 100 points. I know one HFA with an unhuman IQ, does it make he/she a AS?