Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 12:43 pm

While I'm talking to people I will look in their direction, but right past them. While they're talking I will look at their mouth, and hand movements. I will force myself to make some kind of eye contact if it's an important meeting, and not just a social thing, otherwise I don't make hardly any. I think that I have about average ability to remember a face if I remember to look at their face.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 2:17 pm

Owendust wrote:
That's exactly how I would describe myself.

In fact, today, I was at my parent's house and my mom was watching a soap opera, One Life to Live. I saw a guy on the screen who looked familiar and I asker her if he used to be on another one of her soaps a while back. She said no, and then about five minutes later she suddenly remembered that he had been on General Hospital about 15 years ago, when I was about 11.

I think I scared a waitress one time, because I remembered her from when she used to swim laps at a pool that I life-guarded at about 5 years before. I told her I remembered her from the pool and asked if she still did yoga before she swam. Her eyes suddenly got wide and she looked slightly freaked out. The whole "creepy" factor is somewhat magnified when you're a guy, because it can make you look a bit stalker-ish. By the end of dinner, though, I guess I'd made her feel a bit more comfortable, because she told me I should stop by and see her again and even told me the name of the new pool she started swimming at. I realize now that I should have come back and asked her out, but at the time, my aspie-ness blinded me to that fact.

I get accused of that all the time and I'm a girl. people seem to have a hard time believing that I would remember their face "just like that". they automatically think that it's because they are so beautifull and interesting. and I just can't help it lol

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2008, 2:28 pm

i look right between the eyebrow because other peoples eyes make my eyes hurt

Owendust
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2008, 5:34 am

anna-banana wrote:
I get accused of that all the time and I'm a girl. people seem to have a hard time believing that I would remember their face "just like that". they automatically think that it's because they are so beautifull and interesting. and I just can't help it lol

Hmm...I guess it works the same both ways. :)

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Oct 2008, 5:53 am

I look at the mojuth. Eye contact makes me very uncomfortable. Over the years I've trained myself to make some eye contact but it's draining.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 11:43 pm

Actually, I hate looking at the mouth almost as much as looking at the eyes. I usually look off to the side of people when I'm talking to them.

ripcity
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2008, 4:27 am

I don't know I have never thought about which part of the face I look at when I am looking at someone and talking to them.

Neophyte
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2008, 9:06 am

Claradoon wrote:
I look at the mojuth. Eye contact makes me very uncomfortable. Over the years I've trained myself to make some eye contact but it's draining.

What makes looking at the eyes draining?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 9:31 am

I can only look at the eyes of people I am reeely comfortable with...and those are my friends who also don't make or expect eye contact.... :wink:

Ummmm.....usually I look off to the side when I am talking to people...I will sorta take in the whole picture, when looking at someone...i will notice clothes..hair...other odd details..

I have trouble recognising faces alot of the time...but there are some people that I will recognise from odd far off places..

I used to deal with a lot of bands playing at my venue, and sometimes when they changed their clothes, i would no longer recognise them.

Last night I was watching the movie Nashville, which is a Robert Altman film with lots of chaos and different people talking at the same time and verious characters moving in and out of focuss...it was crazily dificult for me to follow.

Sky
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2008, 4:58 pm

Neophyte wrote:
Claradoon wrote:

What makes looking at the eyes draining?

It seems unnaturally and unnecessarily intimate, and it's hard to concentrate on what someone is saying with that kind of discomfort and distraction.