Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 11:12 pm

:arrow: WARNIN LONGer POST :!:

Ok ready for this, my brother is 25, i'm 23, he still doesnt understand autism completely, how sad is that haha. I had a very stimmy day today, my sensory was all out of wack, so i wore my body sock which i jus got so excited hehehe, but also I didnt even speak, literally just noise, no words basically the whole day, i was so frustrated, thank gosh for sign and pecs, my brain jus gave up on me hahaha. When i did gain back my verbalness, it was echolalia or one worders, crazzzy. I was climbing on everything(i use to be a huge climber as a child, not as much as an adult, but lately that kick is weirdly coming back haha), banging my whole body against the floor crazy like literally throwing my whole self in the air and against the rug and floor as hard as i can(feels good what can i say hahaha), doing my usual head banging against the walls, jumpin around screeching swinging my head about like i was a bobblehead lol, flapping really fast, no eye contact at all...crazzzy 8O .

Anyways my brother goes to me why do you need a body sock? and why do you do those things 24/7?(unfortunely since he only knows like 3 sign, i couldnt explain much to him :roll: ) and then told his girlfriend who said she didnt understand me when i tried to sign to her what i needed... that I never ever spoke right, said "that on a good day she prob speaks as good as an 5year old, and I don't know why!" Which i guess is true idk i mean ive heard some pretty well speaking 5 years before so idk what hes basing that on lol, heck met a couple toddlers who speak fluently in 2 languages hahaha.

So my brother knows what autism is, its a developmental disorder, we all know that, he knows i'm not always the high functionest, and that it affects the way i socialize and live my life. Other then that hes clueless. So my question is, in everybodys own words here, what is autism? to you? how would you describe it, throw the DSM away and just tell me in your own words what autism is in your eyes? And if its okay with everybody i want to make a paper of some of your descriptions on what autism is and put it on my frig to help my brother more understand :?:

Wurzel
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2008, 12:08 am

My description of autism - not being fully conscious.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 1:04 am

It is an unbinding of perception from the library of human symbology.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2008, 1:49 am

hell

NocturnalQuilter
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 1:58 am

One effed-up way to live. The people who should (or need to) "get it" won't, and those that do probably shouldn't. I've spent the better part of 40 years believing I was just a career screw-up that very few people could get along with. Now with a potential AS Dx people think I'm just making excuses.
Screwed either way.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 2:41 am

I don't have a description, because how I am is how I want to be (I like playing with what I'm dealt).

People who give me this label describe my behaviour adequately enough [via objective means] and under a medical context, because I don't see my behaviour how they do. I know how my behaviour affects others, but that's different to how it actually manifests from me.

Dark_Red_Beloved
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2008, 2:46 am

Being in a state of such hyper-awareness that occasionally it looks like I'm not very aware at all--at least , not reacting to what one would expect me to react or in the way someone else might react.But most importantly, not necessarily what you might think of as "like me".

Owendust
Raven
Raven

12 Oct 2008, 4:55 am

I guess my definition of autism would have to include include what my dad, who has Asperger's, refers to as "shifting".

"Shifting" would be the the ability to access a place in my mind where nothing around me truly matters. I guess I would describe it as shifting the gears of my mind and accessing an utterly peaceful feeling, which begins in the center of my forehead, between my eyebrows, and slowly spreads from that point towards the back of my head.

It is far too easy for me to escape into this head-space when I'm faced with a difficult situation. Sometimes, pulling myself out of this particular state of mind is like trying to get out of a nice, warm jacuzzi in the middle of Antarctica. It is so comfortable and soothing, and the outside world can feel so cold and unforgiving, that it can be a constant struggle to pull myself out of it in order to face the reality of the world around me.

I also believe that autism involves the fact that we have a limited amount of "brain-space" with which to subconsciously process information. NT's generally tend to subconsciously process things such as body language, facial expression and vocal tone and instinctually know how to react, or respond, in any given situation.

I believe that my brain subconsciously processes other information, such as visual logic, in the same way. There are many things, involving patterns, that I just seem to know without having to think about it. I think that this is how NT's experience social interaction. They just seem to know what to do. I simply view it as a trade-off.

I think that the world absolutely needs people like us, to inspire original ideas and to push the boundaries of a society's so-called common-knowledge.

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

12 Oct 2008, 5:34 am

Early Secondary, wrote on a portrait, "Only me, Frustratingly prone, To be surrounded, Totally alone."
"When words fail, music speaks" and kiplings 'If' were pinned to the log book for embarrassing/angry/trait nostalgic moments.
Pervading traits are hyper-vigilance, hyper-sensitivity, discomfort, diligence, isolation and relentless determination, personally this is Autism. Relate to one post, rarely did anyone seem to "get it," to get me, or the pedantic interaction with my enviroment.

__biro
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Oct 2008, 6:44 am

I see it as like I am in my own bubble where I can still experience the world around me but it's just a bit distorted because the bubble is in the way. I feel like I'm more of an observer then someone who is connected with the world, like an island I suppose.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 7:13 am

Autism is a small component of all the things that make me an interesting individualist who lives by my own rules. :)

kleodimus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 7:44 am

neutral

WillThePerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Oct 2008, 8:24 am

Something i'm happy with.

Erminea
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 10:26 am

Lots of misunderstanding (both ways).

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 11:01 am

Just another way of moving and seeing the world.

JWRed
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2008, 11:03 am

demoluca wrote:
Just another way of moving and seeing the world.

So do mentally disabled people. So do murderers. So do rapists. So do child molestors. So do wife beaters.

Is anything wrong with those people?

You are flippant.