If you've made up a good life with your autism...

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BokeKaeru
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 8:16 pm

I haven't actually got this for being on the spectrum..... I'm only out of the Aspie closet, so to speak, with a couple family members and on parts of the internet.

However, people DO seem to think that, even without me having any personal standard of comparison of a different sort of life, I'd willingly do anything and everything in order to "fix" my facial structure and my asexuality. Umm, no. Yeah, it's difficult sometimes. But it's what I am, and the only thing I know how to be. Just because another person wouldn't know how to deal with being me doesn't mean I don't. If it makes me happy and I'm not hurting them, it's none of their damn business what I look like, how I eat, how I talk, and what sort of relationships I want.

As it is, I get good grades, I'm going to law school next year, I have a bunch of artistic talents going for me, I have lots of interests to keep me entertained and I have a few good friends to keep me company sometimes. There are things I want I don't have yet, but hey, I'll find them when I find them, and I'll get them by my own merit without having to fit in.

So yeah, I get your feelings on this one, if only from a different angle.

music_for_airports
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Oct 2008, 8:45 pm

NocturnalQuilter wrote:
There are haters in this world. Those the have the predilection to hate on something

Case
In
Point.

Synth
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2008, 9:27 pm

demoluca wrote:
I've got a pretty good life even with all of my disabilities.
How? Has there pretty much always been someone there for you? I hope they have, and it sounds like they have, which explains a lot of good points you made.
I never sound like an emo, but I will also not deny the problems in something, or cover things up. No matter how much people want to complain about it.

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 10:15 pm

I am starting to realize I have my gifts.. and even intriguing quirks.. not just those challenges I always cried about.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2008, 11:40 pm

I think I live a good life with my AS; though if other people were to comment on my life they'd probably use words like "lazy" and "spoiled" to describe me.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

13 Oct 2008, 2:11 am

I'd say that I've made a pretty good life for myself.

I'm an artist who can say that millions of people have seen my artwork, which has allowed me to live comfortably.

I also have friends who I can depend on if I need help with anything. So yeah, I'm pretty happy with my lot in life.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 7:24 am

music_for_airports wrote:
NocturnalQuilter wrote:
There are haters in this world. Those the have the predilection to hate on something

Case
In
Point.

What case? What point?

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2008, 6:30 pm

The casual observer would probably think I lived a rather simple, limited life. I disagree.

I have a job I love.

I live with my parents, but have considerable freedom within that environment. The second floor of my house serves as my "apartment." I have a bedroom, bathroom and office/computer room. I can keep cats in my "apartment," something I couldn't do if I lived in another apartment. Cats are the best roommates in the world.

Aside from not having a driver's license, I function well. I do well at my job, I have friends at work and on the Internet and communicate regularly with people on a Siamese cat site.