Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 5:31 pm

Did you know that the origin of refrigerator mothers theory was not originated by the WP's Dr. Evil Bruno Bettelheim
but by Leo Kanner himself , the one who founded the autistic diagnosis?

A quote from Leo Kanner:

Kanner L (1943). "Autistic disturbances of affective contact". Nerv Child 2: 217–50. “One other fact stands out prominently. In the whole group, there are very few really warmhearted fathers and mothers.… The children's aloneness from the beginning of life makes it difficult to attribute the whole picture exclusively to the type of the early parental relations with our patients.” Reprint (1968). Acta Paedopsychiatr 35 (4): 100–36

Interesting , no?

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 5:36 pm

I had distant, cold parents, but in the genetics of Asperger's often at least one parent will have AS and they're not necessarily a 'warm' or close parent. My mother was probably schizoid, dad was AS. Put that together and you get cold remote parents.

14 Oct 2008, 5:50 pm

Both my parnts were caring and they loved me very much. But I still ended up the way I am. :?

Owendust
Raven
Raven

14 Oct 2008, 5:55 pm

I'm sorry, but trying to use one conclusion, that could be wrong, to discredit every other conclusion that a person arrived at in the course of their career is just ridiculous.

All that we can do, individually, is observe what we see around us and then try to make sense of it. Throughout the course of our lives, we are going to come up with theories that fit, and theories that don't.

Over the years, other researchers will come along and challenge those theories, which are then pared down until the ideas that truly fit the situation are (ideally) all that remain.

Come on, man. You're starting to sound like a kid on a playground.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 6:29 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
Did you know that the origin of refrigerator mothers theory was not originated by the WP's Dr. Evil Bruno Bettelheim

A quote from Leo Kanner:

Kanner L (1943). "Autistic disturbances of affective contact". Nerv Child 2: 217–50. “One other fact stands out prominently. In the whole group, there are very few really warmhearted fathers and mothers.… The children's aloneness from the beginning of life makes it difficult to attribute the whole picture exclusively to the type of the early parental relations with our patients.” Reprint (1968). Acta Paedopsychiatr 35 (4): 100–36

Interesting , no?

I have spoken of how a psychologist AND psychiatrist "dealt with my case". Well, the psychologist told my father that HE was responsible!! !! I agree with my father here in that he had NOTHING to do with it. They might have considered my mother VERY "warmhearted". Her senseless over"concern" nearly killed me! That isn't MY assessment, but one of a doctor she took me to! As for my father? Well, I was one of the unlucky ones that was in a generation where MANY had divorced parents. Even many that "stayed together for the kids" weren't all that great. To say that such things cause autism means that MANY have autism, or there is ANOTHER cause!

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2008, 6:39 pm

My parents **try** to be haertwarming and such but they fail miserably and just piss me off.

finrod
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Oct 2008, 6:57 pm

AS parents are likely to apper more "frigid" than NT ones

And AS is genetic so it makes sense that a child with AS would be likely to have at least one AS parent

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 8:54 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:

I was aware of Leo Kanner's involvement in the development of knowledge about autism. I was aware that he subscribed to the refrigerator mother theory. While I never had cause to think about who came up with the latter, Leo Kanner would have been my first and only guess, since it's not incongruous given the two facts, and I would not be able to come up with a single other likely candidate....but this is not the same as 'knowing' (an educated guess really).

I have no idea who "WP's Dr. Evil Bruno Bettelheim" is.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 8:59 pm

He came up with the idea, but Bruno Bettelheim ran way too far with it. 8O

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 9:42 pm

'soft' sciences are always subject to change (so are hard sciences, but that's another can 'o worms...;) What we know a hundred years from now will probably sound laughable compared to today.

that's why science evolves over time.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2008, 10:45 pm

So......anyone here's mother a refrigerator? A refrigerator with eggs? And magnets on the door?
skeptical.

Just envisioning the story: Refrigerator seduces man - autistic offspring.

Yes, psychology is a soft science, which Lab Pet does not do. Soft indeed. More like mushy.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 2:00 am

pandd wrote:
LePetitPrince wrote:

I was aware of Leo Kanner's involvement in the development of knowledge about autism. I was aware that he subscribed to the refrigerator mother theory. While I never had cause to think about who came up with the latter, Leo Kanner would have been my first and only guess, since it's not incongruous given the two facts, and I would not be able to come up with a single other likely candidate....but this is not the same as 'knowing' (an educated guess really).

I have no idea who "WP's Dr. Evil Bruno Bettelheim" is.

Bruno Bettelheim was a fake Dr. with fake credentials but he was well-known psychologist, WP members insult him and bash him for his refrigerator mothers theory ...yet very few know that his theory was just directly inspired from Leo Kanner's view on autism and Kanner is highly viewed here.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2008, 2:45 am

For the most part, that's just pointing out that parenting isn't the cause of "Autism", as it's there since the beginning of life (he said that it isn't the parenting in the bolded text).

Yeah, I knew it.

(Some people didn't read it properly.)

Owendust
Raven
Raven

15 Oct 2008, 2:47 am

^^^
Well, LPP, I guess I owe you an apology then. Due to your other thread, I'd assumed that you were trying to use an unpopular theory to discredit a popular psychiatrist when, in fact, you are (perhaps unknowingly) using a respected psychiatrist's ideas to discredit a generally unpopular theory.

finrod

16 Oct 2008, 11:27 am

LabPet wrote:
So......anyone here's mother a refrigerator? A refrigerator with eggs? And magnets on the door?
skeptical.

Just envisioning the story: Refrigerator seduces man - autistic offspring.

My mother was a refridgerator, my father was a wet sink, and my older sister was a stiff table.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:10 pm

My dad has always been a bit strict, gave me a hard time when I could not say words right when I was learning to read, got close to getting smacked for not being able to say "the" properly. But my mother has always been warm, she has always been very halpful and more of words and being honest.