Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:12 am

Large, deserted graveyards suit me fine. You meet a better class of person there.

Or an empty castle - they were built to keep unwanted company out, and the good ones even have an escape tunnel just in case you miss them with the boiling oil.

Rebecca_L
Toucan
Toucan

16 Oct 2008, 11:43 am

I used to take my kids and wander through the graveyards in Connecticut when I lived there. I thought it was fascinating, seeing the gravestones, wondering why six family members died in the same year (probably illness, I know) and a lot of the gravestones were fascinating. We lived very near the graveyard where Tom Thumb (the really short guy in the original Barnum and Baily Circus) was buried. He had a life sized statue on his tombstone.

My kids, on the other hand, found it creepy.

AbsoTivity
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Oct 2008, 12:12 pm

Rebecca_L wrote:
I used to take my kids and wander through the graveyards in Connecticut when I lived there.

I LOVE graveyards!! !

My perfect place? Well it would be a normal house, with my kitties and my wife, but it would also have a room in it just for me. I went on a retreat once that had this tiny little room, it was in a nook that was never meant for a room, but there it was. It was just big enough for a twin futon mattress and a tiny bedside table. It had only a tiny window up high to let in light. But as soon as I saw it I wanted it in the worst way. I was staying in a tent though, so didn't get the room. Ever since I saw it (and that was 10 years ago) I've dreamed of going back there and staying in it. I feel safest being in a tight spot, all alone...(and, re-reading the description I'm afraid I did it absolutely no justice)

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 3:52 pm

a nice house, where I can bike ride to anywhere, and it'll have green walls in the living room, with a black sofa and metallic decorations (and tons of artwork of mine framed in the living room), a blue and white kitchen, and the bedroom will have deep red walls and black frames with my artwork and pictures in it too.

I want to start in with using scrapbook like artwork, take a pic, and add in some stuff like distressed paper, old lace, decoupage, and stuff like that and frame it on my walls.

I also want to have up-to-date music software, a nice midi keyboard, an art studio, and a darkroom downstairs.

I've grown up my entire life inland (with the exception of vacations where I saw the ocean), so I don't give a rats booty for an 'ocean view' or whatever, but I don't mind if it was by a lake (but far enough away to where it doesn't get flooded), and surrounded by evergreen trees.

whatever happens in this house... it's not going to have blank white walls. I've grown up with that crap my entire life and living in a painted with blank white walls (read, no borders or decorative stuff other than the campy tan "thanks for giving" border that got painted over years ago)...it's like staring at a blank document all day.

WillThePerson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Oct 2008, 3:53 pm

My room.

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Oct 2008, 3:54 pm

A mansion in Amsterdam (so I can smoke pot legally), another one in New York, another one in Los Angeles...

LifeOfTheSpectrum
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2008, 3:55 pm

A fairly big open-plan flat in the centre of London, near a park, lots of aquarium's and fishtanks. A special dark-room (pitch black, with soft music and the odd light, so not pitch black.)

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 4:38 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Large, deserted graveyards suit me fine. You meet a better class of person there.

Or an empty castle - they were built to keep unwanted company out, and the good ones even have an escape tunnel just in case you miss them with the boiling oil.

A castle, now that's a haven. My other idea was going to be an earth shelter like a hobbit hole.

HD3H
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 5:16 pm

Mine will probably be me a girlfriend a work where I can work at home if i want and a house somewhere quiet.

RubieRoze
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2008, 5:41 pm

I had to think about this one a long time.

I’ve given up on the concept of a haven being a physical place, which can be invaded at any time.

I’ve always had an intense need for privacy, yet I grew up in a home where a closed door was an insult; a locked door was sacrilege. There would be long periods of time when I was left totally alone, punctuated with periods of intense interrogation and intrusion.

My “haven” has become mental detachment, and making sure that I have the freedom to come and go as I please. No one can invade my mind without my permission, which I've recently discovered I don't have to grant simply because I've been asked. 8)

willa
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 7:54 pm

I like small places. And the idea of out in the middle of nowhere I dont like cause I like to be able to drive anywhere within 5 minutes. Infact i cant stand when i'm somewhere and I dont know where to go for groceries, fast food, gas, 7/11 etc etc (if i know i've gotta travel somewhere for the day while looking up the map online i'll make sure to check for those things).

When I picture physical comfort I think a studio apartment so that tv, bed, computer, kitchen and sofa are all within site. I also like 24/7 stores cause I like to go out walking in the middle of the night. So putting it all together i'm on the opposite of all the middle of nowhere people, i think a big city is it for me, i find that in those big cities everyone keeps to themselves and just wants to go about their day so they dont bother you, people working the stores and bodegas dont give s**ts about making small talk. It would have to be on a floor of a high building so I'm not looking out at a hundred other buildings, just their tops. And no one can live above or below me =P.

orngjce223
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2008, 8:00 pm

Rebecca_L wrote:
I dream of buying several thousand acres in the middle of nowhere and starting my own autism commune. Well, it wouldn't just be for people with autism, it would be open to their friends and family and people with other disabilities that might find country living more palatable than living in the rat race. I've been missing the farm I grew up on a lot lately, and the thought of gardening and growing my own food becomes more and more appealing every year. I miss food that tastes like food. Unfortunately, I haven't won the lottery yet, and it's looking like I won't until I actually buy a few tickets. Oh well, life isn't fair...

I know a couple people who would be very receptive to this idea. Most of them are gifties.

I need dark corners to think in. Everything else (food and water excepting, of course) is a luxury.

Owendust
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2008, 5:43 am

I'd have to choose one of the more mountainous, wooded areas of Maui, at the northern or southern end. My uncle, who's certainly a bit aspie himself, had a house in the flat plains, smack dab in the middle, but I don't know if I'd like that. Anyways, it would have to include a separate structure that I could use as sculpture studio.

My 2nd cousin, who's an aspie, lives in a tent in the woods and only comes into town to teach computer classes.

carbondate
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2008, 5:47 am

New Orleans, because everybody there is just as odd as me.

That's my haven. My community. My home when I finally say good-bye to the Air Force. My family.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 5:52 am

A beautiful lush green Island, crystal clear water, lots of plant and animal life, Very few people.

One can dream. :(

carbondate
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Oct 2008, 6:02 am

hale_bopp wrote:
A beautiful lush green Island, crystal clear water, lots of plant and animal life, Very few people.

One can dream. :(

I actually live on such a place (Guam), minus the "very few people" part. I can't seem to get away from everybody around here. Just when I think I've found a spot of peace and quiet, three cars full of high school kids pull up.

Sigh.

Still, I'll take good company in a bad place over the converse any day.