Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

timeisdead
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:08 am

I am addicted to clothes shopping. I love the search for great bargains and contemplate many possible outfits and matching accessories. I receive many compliments on my clothes but I have far too many of them, so many that it creates somewhat of a mess. It's too much to deal with but I love my new outfits. What should I do?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:12 am

If you have economic problems because of this: Find a hobby you like more than shopping. If you don't have economic problems because of this: Don't do anything, if it feels good, do it. :)

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:27 am

been there. I still compulsive buy at times but not having a fixed income has cured me of such overspending.

CleverKitten
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:29 am

Oh, I used to be addicted to shopping the exact same way you are.

Here's how I managed (not that is was ever a bad problem! :roll: ):

Set a strict budget. Go to thrift stores if you don't already. I buy ONLY what really grabs my attention. That way, I don't regret buying something I don't like just because I had the money to do so.

And I always donate the clothes I no longer want.

That way, my wardrobe was in constant rotation. Although I was constantly buying new clothes, I was also constantly donating old clothes. That way, I never had too many clothes. The amount of clothing I had stayed about the same.

And I hardly ever wore the same thing twice! And thrift-store shopping is EXTREMELY cheap. Fifteen bucks can get you three completely different outfits. And then you can mix-and-match the items in those outfits to make nine more outfits! :D

Check out my blog: http://glanceoutthewindow.blogspot.com/

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:24 pm

impulsiveness and lack of "pleasure delay" is an AS trait.

everything is now.....right now.

it takes a little self discipline and self control to learn.....need to recognise it first.

RubieRoze
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2008, 12:31 pm

As a recovering shop-a-holic myself, I'd suggest that you shop . . . in your closet!

If you have that many clothes, surely there must be something that you haven't worn for a while. Pair it up with something newer and voila! A whole "new" wardrobe! 8) :idea:

And get more excited about everyday grocery shopping. :wink:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 12:44 pm

It's better than being addicted to food. At least shopping doesn't ruin your health.

But the better addiction would be exercise. Exercise can be quite addicting, as well. You might want to see if you can shift your addiction.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 7:47 pm

sister is a aspie,and she used to be addicted to clothes and shoes buying.
she cut up her credit card so she could no longer use it,and isnt able to buy much stuff anymore because of owning her own cottage.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

stimpysuzie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Oct 2008, 8:29 pm

I am slipping back to being addicted to shopping. I wouldn't mind so much. it's just that designer clothes and seasonal employment means bills take second place.
My newest obsession is t-shirts with beautiful designs screenprinted onto them.
They are cheap until you buy 8 in one go, then not so much.
The oldest obsession I have and one that I got into control due to lack of finances and depression, was CDs. I have over 1000 and I swear I only listen to 6 in rotation.
The only thing I can suggest is responsibilty for ones budget.
Think twice then think again before commiting to buy.
Hide the credit card so online shopping is impossible unless you are like me and you have memorized all the details necessary to make a purchase!
One thing that I have found that helps is to look in your closets and be realistic about what you get pleasure from wearing and what merely is a very expensive accessory for the closet to see!
I couldn't wear the same outfit twice so you can imagine what my wardrobe looked like but I realise this was me making up for limited social skills.
The desire to fit in.
I would rather try hard to change some of my flaws than spend money to line the pockets of corporate america!

As a friend once said "yeah capitialism" !

Later Later

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:51 pm

I am addicted to thrift shopping...it is alot cheaper...but you wind up with so much stuff that you don't know what to do.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 9:55 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I am addicted to thrift shopping...it is alot cheaper...but you wind up with so much stuff that you don't know what to do.

Likewise for garage sales, a relatively new interest that has (luckily) stayed minor for me.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 10:40 pm

Although I like to go "shopping" I typically don't buy much. I just go to some of my favorite stores to look around at the things I find interesting. It's usually appliances, electronics, bicycles, whatever. What I end up doing too much of is "dumpster diving" and other scavenging. I need to clean up some of the junk around my place. THe thing is, I can't stand to throw away functional things!

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 12:09 am

I am also a garage saler and a scavenger....so is Flakey....it reached critical mass with us a long time ago.
Any time we see a pile of interesting stuff on the side of the road, at least one of us will want to stop.
It has been a while since I have dumpster dived, but I have always been a big fan of a good thrift store dumpster. So many of them have trash compactors now :?

misslottie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2008, 7:46 am

thank you!! !! ! i have no food or heating right now due to multiple bag and shoe purchahes on ebay. i dont care!! !

rationally, i know i SHOULD stop, but- look at these shoes-

they're far better than food! at least im buying important things!! !! glad to know there are other aspies making irrational, impulsive, stupid decisions! ;-) 99% of my posessions are seond hand- and i always look nice, and origional. though i cant walk across the floor easily due to piles of stuff.... i am at least walking in pretty shoes!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 7:48 am

I know what being addicted to shopping is like... it's all good but you just need to be careful about money. If you see something you only kinda like, just try and think "do I really need this?"

But don't forget retail therapy is good fun.. in moderation :)

mechanima
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 7:56 am

...and I thought I was SO UNIQUE too...

Methinks Cleverkitten lives up to her name on this one...

I have a Louise Kennedy suit and a Nitya dress to die for (google 'em and eat yer hearts out - would cost about $1000 between 'em retail) in the past few months alone...and all from thrift shops...

The stuff in the malls doesn't even come close...

As I understand it, this is not even a specifically AS trait...many of the NT suffer too...

The closest thing I ever heard of to an actual *cure* is to RUN a thrift shop...